• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

11 Seconds Slow Per Day

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Here are the latest officially acceptable deviations in precision for mechanical replica watches published by the Swiss Faux Fedération de Horolgerié headquartered in Guangzhou, PRC in 2011:

$5,000 - unlimited = —2s / +8s
$2,000 - $4,999 = —5s / +15s
$500 - $1,999 = —15s / +45s
$100 - $499 = —35s / +70s
$50 - $99 = —60s / +120s
Below $50 = —5h / +1d

Nice to know both my VSF Subs are in the $5k+ bracket.

Reactions: eBoy

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
You can also Get bulova precisionist with accuracy of 10-15 seconds each year , they are under 500$

Reactions: RepPossessed

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
+1d is really much… for this reason I sold my 50 bucks Dhgate because I visited the tuesday meeting on a wednesday
Here are the latest officially acceptable deviations in precision for mechanical replica watches published by the Swiss Faux Fedération de Horolgerié headquartered in Guangzhou, PRC in 2011:

$5,000 - unlimited = —2s / +8s
$2,000 - $4,999 = —5s / +15s
$500 - $1,999 = —15s / +45s
$100 - $499 = —35s / +70s
$50 - $99 = —60s / +120s
Below $50 = —5h / +1d

As you can see, your rep is well within specs!

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max
That's quite informative. Thank You

crowconut

30/1/23
Western Europe
Interesting thread. I GLd a rep that I won despite the timegrapher showing '+20s/d'. I didn't feel I could cause a fuss and RL a watch I was getting for free!

It's a seamaster 300...
But I am curious if people think +20s/d warrants me trying open the back of the watch and moving the regulating lever on the movement?

Or best just live with it?

Messi

🇺🇸
Patron
Certified
28/4/13
For what I paid my "Watchsmith" for the adjustment, I doubt if he thinks it was a "bother." As far as getting the watch to run as best as it can, I like to be on time for appointments or meetings with friends. Isn't that what watches are for? :rolleyes:
I need to hold my friends to higher standards. I completely make nothing of it when they’re 15 minutes late. They def need their watches serviced.

If your watch is running and was recently serviced losing a few seconds that’s a WIN. Some reps come junk , not oiled properly, shitty screws etc and tank shortly after use. Enjoy the watch!

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Interesting thread. I GLd a rep that I won despite the timegrapher showing '+20s/d'. I didn't feel I could cause a fuss and RL a watch I was getting for free!

It's a seamaster 300...
But I am curious if people think +20s/d warrants me trying open the back of the watch and moving the regulating lever on the movement?

Or best just live with it?

to understand the accuracy we're talking about 20 seconds a day is an error of less than 0.025%
(there are 1440 minutes in a day, so there are 4320 chunks of 20 seconds in a day, so the error is one 4320th or 0.02315%)

£1500 Seiko
Accuracy: -15/+25 seconds per day (that is not a typo)

All these high end reps we've got running +-<5 seconds a day are giving us some falsely high standards of what to expect from a mechanical watch.

Leave it alone!

Last edited:
Reactions: crowconut

wisedennis

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Have you got a job where if you don't press a button at regular, precise intervals, the entire world dies? If so, then I'd say it's well worth bothering your watchsmith again.

If not, then I really wouldn't worry about it

wisedennis

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
I have a Clean Factory Submariner 41 with a VR3235 movement that I wear 24/7. Since it was running 30 seconds slow, I had it adjusted by my watchmaker who improved it to 11 seconds slow. I'm thinking about taking it back to my watchmaker to get it dialed in even more precisely to COSC specifications of plus or minus 2 seconds per day. Am I being realistic, or should I realize I'm wearing a replica and adjust my expectations accordingly? Either way, I love the watch and use it as my daily driver.
You can swap an ETA top grade or chronometer grade into your watch( perhaps with a little modding[dial and hands/case] and movement ring)
, and have your watchmaker to regulate it. With the gen Swiss ETA , it would arguably be more reliable and accurate than a VR clone or VS clone , imho

crowconut

30/1/23
Western Europe
to understand the accuracy we're talking about 20 seconds a day is an error of less than 0.025%
(there are 1440 minutes in a day, so there are 4320 chunks of 20 seconds in a day, so the error is one 4320th or 0.02315%)

£1500 Seiko
Accuracy: -15/+25 seconds per day (that is not a typo)

All these high end reps we've got running +-<5 seconds a day are giving us some falsely high standards of what to expect from a mechanical watch.

Leave it alone!
Thanks for the insight!!!

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
You can swap an ETA top grade or chronometer grade into your watch( perhaps with a little modding[dial and hands/case] and movement ring)
, and have your watchmaker to regulate it. With the gen Swiss ETA , it would arguably be more reliable and accurate than a VR clone or VS clone , imho
I've got two VSF Sub's one with a clone 3135 and the other a clone 3235, they are both inside 5 seconds a day error, that's real world not just been serviced Rolex territory.

Also, what I find is the error varies depending (I presume) on how wound it is and how it's rotated. Worn on the wrist most the time and rarely/never wound (which is what happens now, it is my daily wear watch and I don't take it off at night, I'm done with worrying what people think of a man with a £2k car and a £10k watch!) the VS3235 in the Cermit is close to perfect, certainly way inside Rolex spec, I set it against my tough solar G-Shock on Saturday (it's now Friday for those reading this thread in the future, so 6 days ago), it's 4 seconds out now, 4 seconds in 6 days. I doubt it is that accurate, but that's the average over 6 days, it's probably +5 held crown down, -5 held flat, +3 if 50% wound, -3 if near unwound or something like that.
If you fully wind it and leave it in a box it's maybe 3-4 seconds a day fast for the first day. Admittedly it has been serviced and regulated in the recent past and as it's a VS3235 which I believe is considered to be a very very good mech by any standard so it is about as good as rep mechs get.

The VS3135 in the Bluesy is probably not that good, well it might be but;
a; for obvious reasons (it's gold plated at a very questionable lack of thickness) I don't and won't wear it as a daily wearer.
b; it's only got about 40hrs of power reserve so normally when I go to wear it, it's stopped and I'm only wearing it as I'm going out somewhere so I just set it to about right, give it a few winds and wear it.
It appears to me to be ~5 seconds a day (fast) error, it may be worse if fully wound.

Either way, both are well inside any ETA spec, and no watchmaker is going to guarantee he can get anything from ETA to be much better.

And they're both fast, always, so really easy to sort, hack it for a few seconds and it's done.

Last edited:
Reactions: wisedennis

mac427

26/1/23
texas
Original Post: "I have a Clean Factory Submariner 41 with a VR3235 movement that I wear 24/7. Since it was running 30 seconds slow, I had it adjusted by my watchmaker who improved it to 11 seconds slow. I'm thinking about taking it back to my watchmaker to get it dialed in even more precisely to COSC specifications of plus or minus 2 seconds per day. Am I being realistic, or should I realize I'm wearing a replica and adjust my expectations accordingly? Either way, I love the watch and use it as my daily driver."

COSC STANDARDS : "To be COSC Certified, a timepiece needs to be accurate to -4 to +6 seconds a day."

Final Result: After two adjustments , my Clean Factory Submariner is now running (- 3 seconds per day.) A remarkable result in my opinion. Moreover, my watchmaker was impressed with the quality of the VR3235 movement. ✌️

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Final Result: After two adjustments , my Clean Factory Submariner is now running (- 3 seconds per day.) A remarkable result in my opinion. Moreover, my watchmaker was impressed with the quality of the VR3235 movement. ✌️
Sacha Baron Cohen Price GIF by filmeditor

... did the watchmaker charge for this?

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
$80 US and he encouraged me to bring it back as many times as needed without further charge.
That's pretty reasonable... Especially if considering that he offered subsequent corrections free of charge.

Happy You Good GIF

Reactions: mac427