• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

11 Seconds Slow Per Day

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
I have a Clean Factory Submariner 41 with a VR3235 movement that I wear 24/7. Since it was running 30 seconds slow, I had it adjusted by my watchmaker who improved it to 11 seconds slow. I'm thinking about taking it back to my watchmaker to get it dialed in even more precisely to COSC specifications of plus or minus 2 seconds per day. Am I being realistic, or should I realize I'm wearing a replica and adjust my expectations accordingly? Either way, I love the watch and use it as my daily driver.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Have you got a job where if you don't press a button at regular, precise intervals, the entire world dies? If so, then I'd say it's well worth bothering your watchsmith again.

If not, then I really wouldn't worry about it.

tacomn

16/1/23
usa
You have crazy expectations. Cosc certification is an official certification of tests and its accuracy is between -4 + 6. Your replica watch is not going to be Cosc certified and it is not going to match the standards of actual Rolex movements and there rigorous testing.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Have you got a job where if you don't press a button at regular, precise intervals, the entire world dies?
Confused Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

If so, then I'd say it's well worth bothering your watchsmith again.

If not, then I really wouldn't worry about it.
Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor

mac427

26/1/23
texas
For what I paid my "Watchsmith" for the adjustment, I doubt if he thinks it was a "bother." As far as getting the watch to run as best as it can, I like to be on time for appointments or meetings with friends. Isn't that what watches are for? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: p0pperini

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
For what I paid my "Watchsmith" for the adjustment, I doubt if he thinks it was a "bother." As far as getting the watch to run as best as it can, I like to be on time for appointments or meetings with friends. Isn't that what watches are for? :rolleyes:
Sounds like you just answered your own question……

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Wait -just let me understand this....

The 'seconds' matter that much? To make meetings?

I may be on my own here / but if I'm not 10 minutes early to a meeting I'm late. (Yes old school / military).

And if I'm late - it's ether because another meeting/issue/life moment caused me to be late.

Dude it's a watch. Do you own a smartphone?

I'm honestly not being facetious. It's not a big deal. Im sure your watch is doing what it's meant to do:

Keep time (not atomically)
And look good on your wrist. Which I reckon is the main thing. If you like it - awesome.

(y)

serumdiesel

Madman
17/3/21
Really isn't a question that you should be asking anyone other than yourself, bud. If you want to be completely anal and OCD about it and are willing to pay to address it (I can empathize), then do so. Nobody else's opinion on the matter should mean jack shit.

cecilcu92

Known Member
Certified
6/2/20
CONUS
I was also raised in the if you're not early, you're late doctrine, so I don't see a practical value, but I think the real answer is that you're chasing something that will never be achieved. Like trying to race a Ferrari with a modded civic. Even if you get it running close, it won't stay that way. The quality of parts and tolerances just isn't there.

bdh

Supporter
Certified
23/7/22
Deutschland
Do you have a gen Rolex to compare with?
I have both, gens and reps and meanwhile they are not more than jewelry/part of the outfit.
If you care about seconds, buy a watch with a quartz-movement.
My gens are more inaccurate then my reps... All of them are to fast, each and every day.

Ah0rsey

18 hands high, bushy mane.
Patron
Certified
9/8/22
uk
if its a technical question about whether you "could" get it better, then I'm sure with some money thrown at it and a bit of time from a watch smith then the answer is yes..... but that does come down to whether you can be bothered to throw more money at a rep or not.... up to you bud. If you went to the Rolex forums instead of the Rep forum I'm sure you'd get the answer.... service it in the next 5 years but for now on just enjoy it for what is it.

Some of my rep's are far more accurate at keeping time and date change than my gen rolex and I marvel every day at how bloody good they are OOTB in comparison to makers who are much much more expensive. Although when Clean or VSF sponsor an F1 meet I want free tickets for the amount of money I've given them!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

mac427

26/1/23
texas
Do you have a gen Rolex to compare with?
I have both, gens and reps and meanwhile they are not more than jewelry/part of the outfit.
If you care about seconds, buy a watch with a quartz-movement.
My gens are more inaccurate then my reps... All of them are to fast, each and every day.
I've lost count of how many Rolex watches I've owned, but it's well over ten. You are correct, many of them were not anymore accurate than my two reps. I do like to check time by glancing at my wrist rather than pulling my phone out of my pocket. Especially at the gym. Some of the commenters snark about 11 seconds per day which is completely off the point. The purpose of an automatic watch is to eliminate the need for setting the watch on a daily basis. Ideally, I'd like to set it once a month without it being too far off.

OI812

17/3/06
"11 seconds" is bad?

I do get the desire for COSC, but, 11 seconds of error is pretty good IMOP. It MIGHT well be possible to regulate it a bit tighter, but, is it worth the money.... up to you.

I'd buy a caseback opener and a timegrapher. Learn how to do it yourself.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Here are the latest officially acceptable deviations in precision for mechanical replica watches published by the Swiss Faux Fedération de Horolgerié headquartered in Guangzhou, PRC in 2011:

$5,000 - unlimited = —2s / +8s
$2,000 - $4,999 = —5s / +15s
$500 - $1,999 = —15s / +45s
$100 - $499 = —35s / +70s
$50 - $99 = —60s / +120s
Below $50 = —5h / +1d

As you can see, your rep is well within specs!

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

Sig9

Certified
2/1/23
Germany
Here are the latest officially acceptable deviations in precision for mechanical replica watches published by the Swiss Faux Fedération de Horolgerié headquartered in Guangzhou, PRC in 2011:

$5,000 - unlimited = —2s / +8s
$2,000 - $4,999 = —5s / +15s
$500 - $1,999 = —15s / +45s
$100 - $499 = —35s / +70s
$50 - $99 = —60s / +120s
Below $50 = —5h / +1d

As you can see, your rep is well within specs!

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max
+1d is really much… for this reason I sold my 50 bucks Dhgate because I visited the tuesday meeting on a wednesday

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I've lost count of how many Rolex watches I've owned, but it's well over ten. You are correct, many of them were not anymore accurate than my two reps. I do like to check time by glancing at my wrist rather than pulling my phone out of my pocket. Especially at the gym. Some of the commenters snark about 11 seconds per day which is completely off the point. The purpose of an automatic watch is to eliminate the need for setting the watch on a daily basis. Ideally, I'd like to set it once a month without it being too far off.
11 seconds a day is not bad, better than most automatic movements are spec'd at.
If you want once a month type accuracy you're going quartz.