• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Where's the black lume?

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
Okay, ive been on this quest for a little while now, made some headway, stopped, started, stopped... you get the picture.
Now i am throwing this out to the community for a definitive answer!

Where on this planet of our can a guy get some dark grey to black lume?! preferably the type of grey that glows whitish or light green like the B&R Phantom?

here we go...

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
I hear you brother, I've been looking for black and brown toilet paper for some time now. :D Good luck by friend.

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
doctorron said:
I hear you brother, I've been looking for black and brown toilet paper for some time now. :D Good luck by friend.

i can help you with that, i am quite skilled hehe!

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
i can help you with that, i am quite skilled hehe![/quote]

Laughing my arse off.

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
i've been asking this question in several threads.

related with chuddism question, anyone ever seen how the br phantom lume?
i found this on the web

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
yes, apparently a guy named fleed has mastered the ancient art of lume mixing to create a black lume. As i have not mastered the art im wondering if i can just but it!

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
Fleed helped me out massively last year with some grey lume - so you might ask him to do it for you. I don't think he sells it though.

Tritec make the black lume on the B&R Phantom. It is pretty dark, but doesn't glow for very long at all. It actually glows olive on the gen rather than how its shown. They make 4 grades - Kent at Everest has them all and will do this work for you.

Another person to try is Flavor Flav on RG - he has his own method of airbrushing lume in thin coats. From what I have seen his looks like the darkest shade for the most glow. Be aware that the hands will be lighter than the dial as the lume on the hands doesn't sit on anything.

I've been looking into this for over a year now so am pretty clued up - if you need anything else just PM me.

My advice would be to speak to these three, get some quotes and send your dial/hands to one of them. I tried to do it myself and although it's done, it doesn't look as good as if a pro had done it. Good luck.

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
Thanks Tommy Tom, i hear the turnaround time for Everest is like 3-6 months!! :shock: !

Plus i really would have liked to build this myself yknow?
sort of like my new project watch!

thanks for all the help! hey, maybe ill check tritecs website!

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
If you email them and say you are a watchmaker - they'll send you a sample sheet of the blacks so you can have a look.

Definitely give Flav a call though - he might be able to do it quicker than 6 months. Have a look at his "phantom" watch -

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=24829

Be prepared for it being grey though not black - black won't glow for obvious reasons, and having held a gen phantom and charged up the lume for a minute under a halogen lamp I can tell you it doesn't glow that much at all and fades after a few minutes.

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
i really want a phantom myself.... i have been holding out until I have seen someone do it...

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
LegendOfSpeed said:
i really want a phantom myself.... i have been holding out until I have seen someone do it...

I'll second that!!

For those who haven't seen it already, here's what I managed with my PAM project (lume courtesy of Fleed and PVD from Joe)

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
Well then, im just gonna have to get in touch with Flavor Flav. i just realised how bad i want a phantom dial when i tried to click on the link to flavs watch and my office firewall said NO!

i almost cried and immediately reached for my cell! LOL!

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
I just recieved an email from kent at Everest. Turnaround time is 5 to 6 weeks and i think im gonna do it, for the Black lume build, now does joe still PVD watches?

I think i am changing my mind again on the watches i am building but Oh well... thats what keeps it fun for me i guess.

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
chuddism said:
I just recieved an email from kent at Everest. Turnaround time is 5 to 6 weeks and i think im gonna do it, for the Black lume build, now does joe still PVD watches?

I think i am changing my mind again on the watches i am building but Oh well... thats what keeps it fun for me i guess.

I think you'll be the first cat to have a phantom lumed so i salute you!!

Can't wait to see the finished result and I know there will be many more who feel the same and may well follow you.