• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

received a CrPO with a loose screw

replicatorz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/16
received a new purchased CrPO with a LOOSE SCREW today.. consider myself bad luck! :blush::cryingbadly::cryingbadly::cryingbadly::cryingbadly:

marked in photos below

any advise what i can do with this newly received watch as the TD might be taking some time to reply... CNY is around the corner and it is a big festival among the Chinese...... prolly busy preparing..

also noticed a speck of "dirt" on top the 7 marker, as marked

while waiting for TD reply, any advise how to go about this or what is the likely I should do with a newly received rep? this is my first purchase :timeout2:

aside frm this, it clearly makes some undesirable noise when i shake the watch and affects timekeeping when i wear it, moving it, as the screw gets stuck in between the motor... this issue was noticed when i found the watch stopped moving... and when i turn to see the movement, i noticed the LOOSE SCREW T.T

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
its totally an easy fix mate. Buy a case back opener and just screw it back in. if you're conus and don't feel like doing it, mail it to me when you receive it and ill do it for you for free.

replicatorz

18/1/16
its totally an easy fix mate. Buy a case back opener and just screw it back in. if you're conus and don't feel like doing it, mail it to me when you receive it and ill do it for you for free.

hi there,

ppl like u make RWI such a wonderful place :) thanks, but im frm Malaysia so to mail it to US, back and forth, will take too much time. heh

the watch is with me actually. thats why i can pinpoint the issue with it...

i will likely send it to the watchsmith as i do not want to screw up the movement or anything about the watch.. at least if anything happens to it, i will not personally feel guilty about it.

im still waiting for the TD to reply so i know what to do next. i do not want to do anything to void her aftersales service or warranty. hehe.
until then , ill leave it as it is as i do not want to move the loose screw around too much...i think its a matter of time, if i move the timepiece around, it get stuck in between the movement and render the watch dysfunctional..

thanks for feedback, DreadPirateRobert... i ever appreciate so much...
defect like that, do u think it will affect the lifespan of this rep? :/ i really consider myself unlucky as reading this forum in and out, and buying a rep, i have already prepared myself for the worst..just didnt expect it would happen to me..

all other inputs or feedback on this , i am very thankful!

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
That's a very nice thing to offer someone who might be uncomfortable doing it themselves...

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
That is a generous offer. To the OP - fixes don't come much easier than this though, to save a lot of hassle just buy a cheap watch makers toolkit off eBay and replace it yourself? If you've ever used a screwdriver before, you can do it ;)

1 or 2 specks of dust under the dial is something you'll have to get used to with reps I'm afraid!

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
That is a generous offer. To the OP - fixes don't come much easier than this though, to save a lot of hassle just buy a cheap watch makers toolkit off eBay and replace it yourself? If you've ever used a screwdriver before, you can do it ;)

1 or 2 specks of dust under the dial is something you'll have to get used to with reps I'm afraid!

OP please do yourself a favor and follow the advice. I had a SMP show up with the entire rotor loose. I opened the back with my $7.00 Amazon watch kit, found the screw, and put it all back together.

I would advise doing this yourself, as part of the fun of reps is learning to do things like this! It really is as easy as unscrewing the caseback, screwing the little screw back in place, and putting the caseback back on. Plus it's fun to do things like this!

Good luck with whatever you do. If you decide to do it yourself, I am sure many members here would be happy to lend you more advice as you go.

Cheers to @dreadpriateroberts for being an awesome member and offering to do this!

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
No problem, sorry I cant be of help over here in CONUS! I remember this time last year I was just starting to feel comfortable doing little fixes like this. This is unfortunately something you'll see time to time in the rep world, but aside from adding or removing links, this is one of the easier things to do. I would personally look for some "Loctite" and run just a bit on the threads of the screw before putting it back, in case there's a slight threading issue that makes this one prone to becoming loose. This shouldn't affect the life or value of the watch at all. Its almost like changing the tires on a car in that sometimes its required maintenance. If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM and Maybe I can even post a few pictures showing you how to do this if you'd like. I'm certain you can fix it cheaper than any watch smith would charge!

hi there,

ppl like u make RWI such a wonderful place :) thanks, but im frm Malaysia so to mail it to US, back and forth, will take too much time. heh

the watch is with me actually. thats why i can pinpoint the issue with it...

i will likely send it to the watchsmith as i do not want to screw up the movement or anything about the watch.. at least if anything happens to it, i will not personally feel guilty about it.

im still waiting for the TD to reply so i know what to do next. i do not want to do anything to void her aftersales service or warranty. hehe.
until then , ill leave it as it is as i do not want to move the loose screw around too much...i think its a matter of time, if i move the timepiece around, it get stuck in between the movement and render the watch dysfunctional..

thanks for feedback, DreadPirateRobert... i ever appreciate so much...
defect like that, do u think it will affect the lifespan of this rep? :/ i really consider myself unlucky as reading this forum in and out, and buying a rep, i have already prepared myself for the worst..just didnt expect it would happen to me..

all other inputs or feedback on this , i am very thankful!

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
Ill go one step further and offer to buy you a kit of essential watch tools if you PM me your address. I've bought probably 2-3 of them over the last couple years, and using it will absolutely fix your problem!

Kylie007

5/4/14
A screw has fallen out of my tiPO too. Unfortunately I dont know where it came from. Watch still works fine. I dont really expect much from these china made products in terms of longevity.

Definitely get a set of tools and start looking at youtube. Otherwise buy a gen =)

replicatorz

18/1/16

OP please do yourself a favor and follow the advice. I had a SMP show up with the entire rotor loose. I opened the back with my $7.00 Amazon watch kit, found the screw, and put it all back together.

I would advise doing this, as part of the fun of reps is learning to do things like this yourself! It really is as easy as unscrewing the caseback, screwing the little screw back in place, and putting the caseback back on. Plus it's fun to do things like this!

Good luck with whatever you do. If you decide to do it yourself, I am sure many members here would be happy to lend you more advice as you go.

Cheers to @dreadpriateroberts for being an awesome member and offering to do this!

As mentioned, I will wait for TD's reply first as I do not wanna void any agreement we might have by doing something against the seller-buyer's agreement. Heh..

But I'm thinking I might just send to the watchsmith as opposed to DIY, as I am not that great in that department..
It's a little different in Malaysia as we r not the DIY kinda person , something I can see difference in as opposed to western developed countries..
We usually leave it to the experts.

Anyway, yes I agree it's a learning curve, but I am not willing to risk it as the money paid is quite a lot of Money to us... To put into context , the purchase is about double or 2.5 of monthly minimum wages here..
Or our wages here is about 1.5usd hourly for casual jobs, in average, so ya If u do the maths, it's some money I'm not willing to tinker and risk with.
Just sharing some things about what's happening in Malaysia here . Hehe

About dust, the TD did remove a speck of dust when she got the watch b4 sending to me... She showed me pics b4 and after removal of dust.

But still, It wasn't too pleasant when I unboxed it immediately I spotted another spot in a different area... After all, it's my first rep purchase... And prolly I had high expectation, tho through RWI , I truly understand it is common.
Pertaining to this, The watchsmith advised not to tinker with it as long it is still working and keeping time accurately..
But now I hav a question is, would fixing the loose screw be simpler than fixing that dial of that tiny dot?
Bcoz I'm thinking if I'd send the watch to get the loose screw fixed, since the watchsmith will be tinkering it already , if it's not too complex, id ask him try fix that dot on the dial..... ?

Yes sorry I know I'm very anal about it. Lol.. Plz Forgive my ocd . Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

replicatorz

18/1/16
It's 4.33 am here... Too sleepy to reply others but dreadpiraterobert, u really r too kind... Will google about what "loctite" is

Get back to all after a good night sleep. Hehe.. I feel much comforted about the issue with my newly "defective " rep now . RLol

Kylie007

5/4/14
But I'm thinking I might just send to the watchsmith as opposed to DIY, as I am not that great in that department..
It's a little different in Malaysia as we r not the DIY kinda person , something I can see difference in as opposed to western developed countries..
We usually leave it to the experts.

Interesting. Didnt know this type of thing could be a cultural thing. (just an observation, not saying its bad or good or making a judgement)

replicatorz

18/1/16
No problem, sorry I cant be of help over here in CONUS! I remember this time last year I was just starting to feel comfortable doing little fixes like this. This is unfortunately something you'll see time to time in the rep world, but aside from adding or removing links, this is one of the easier things to do. I would personally look for some "Loctite" and run just a bit on the threads of the screw before putting it back, in case there's a slight threading issue that makes this one prone to becoming loose. This shouldn't affect the life or value of the watch at all. Its almost like changing the tires on a car in that sometimes its required maintenance. If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM and Maybe I can even post a few pictures showing you how to do this if you'd like. I'm certain you can fix it cheaper than any watch smith would charge!

ok now i know what a Loctite is... :)

hey would be great if u can share some photos how to do it? but i really dont know where the screw is frm.. i guess i will find out soon .hehe

myor

Renowned Member
10/11/14

hey would be great if u can share some photos how to do it? but i really dont know where the screw is frm.. i guess i will find out soon .hehe
Maybe post some good quality pics of movement with rotor in different positions.

Kylie007

5/4/14
Would you guys help me out if i posted pics too? Didnt wanna hijack the thread =D.

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp

Hey there buddy, Ill try to get some pictures for you tonight. Sorry I didnt respond sooner, I didn't see a quote notification!

myor

Renowned Member
10/11/14
Would you guys help me out if i posted pics too? Didnt wanna hijack the thread =D.

Shouldn't be a problem. However asking OP via PM would be a nice thing to do.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
Alright, so I didn't have a CrPO to use to show, so here's a Skyfall Planet Ocean that should be similar enough for the purpose at hand. Make sure you can use a clean and well lit area to work.

Take a pin out of your bracelet to make sure you have plenty of room to work around the watch.

b1712756597e4a68e255456eccce7cc8.jpg

I use the three prong style opener from a kit I picked up from eBay, although for 45mm cases I only use two of the prongs to make it a bit easier.

60fff50a87032bb7198e9931c26f9cce.jpg

Once the case back is off you've already done the hard part. Take a good look around to see if you can identify where the screw came from.

f1e2264e536803cf1bc99af059afaabf.jpg

89401cc9913036edb981c3ff61a19a3a.jpg
048c29c65cdd512c6ffe6b35578b0487.jpg

Once located, use a small jewelers screwdriver to gently put it back in! Make sure the rubber case back gasket is in good shape, lubricate it if needed and close the whole thing back up. Ta-Da!

04894bba6545577e3be0063b4301e696.jpg

I hope this helps, even a little bit.

replicatorz

18/1/16
thanks all for the input, especially DeadPirateRobert for the photos and step by step guide, but i have different minor issue which i will post in another thread.. MUCH APPRECIATED!