• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex service price query

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
My stepfather's tt datejust is ten years old and has been worn as a daily beater since new in garden and on lots of projects so it's far from a box queen. The service place say the jubilee needs replacing as the clasp has started to come undone. They want £2,000 to replace the full bracelet and say that's on an exchange basis so £1,000 would buy the old one back. He is understandably pretty gutted about this additional cost does this seem fair for a gen rolex?

£2,000 works out at over $3,000 at today's exchange

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
is the bracelet 14 kt or 18 kt gold?

Im sure that is the standard price from rolex.. I would look for something used on chrono 24 or ebay. I bet you could get something in the $600-1500 USD range.

Have you considered sending the bracelet to Michael Young for repair? He does a great job for $300-500.

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
Thanks gmg I'm not sure on the krt but yes ebay is throwing up jubilees in that price bracket. Rolex say they can't certify the watch unless they replace the bracelet.

Ffs even dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Or get him a nice aftermarket one from [email protected] Gold wrapped TT for around $70 and put the old one away. I think that's what I'd do and I'm sure he'd be just as happy with it. Then have Michael Young fix the other one at your leisure.

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
I agree with the above. I mean you can pick up used tt djs now for around £2k. It's a life watch and who cares if rolex can't certify the damn bracelet. It wouldn't effect my decision when buying a used rolly

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
Thanks gmg I'm not sure on the krt but yes ebay is throwing up jubilees in that price bracket. Rolex say they can't certify the watch unless they replace the bracelet.

Ffs even dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask

I wouldnt bother with a rolex authorized service center.. The new bracelet and service cost are more than the watch is worth.

Find a local watch maker who can service for $200-400 and send the bracelet to Michael Young $300.