• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Having major issues sourcing a black explorer 36mm 2836..

wojiparu18

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/9/15
Been researching last month on 36mm black face explorer. Noob factory only makes a 39mm, not a 36mm. I had a few QC pic from trusted dealers and wasnt Noob quality. I would appreciate some of the members help. Looking for a black 2836 explorer 1 36mm. I spent hours upon hours researching this, I can use some help. Thanks in advance!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
What size is JMBs ?

msg-24124-0-73427500-1344287050.jpg

khanage

8/6/11
As far as I am aware, there is only one version out there, . There was some speculation a few years back that there were two versions but perceived wisdom was that they may have been the same.
The version I bought from Trevor was fantastic, and I think it's the same one he has today. It is a very good rep, widely acknowledged to be one of the best reps you can get, mainly down to the simplicity of its design and the lack of any mechanical complication caused by datewheels and the likes.
Whethervor not it is 'Noob quality' I couldn't tell you but it was a cracking watch!

wojiparu18

1/9/15
khanage do you have link. I still see in the pic above, gaps between the bracelet and the case. Should be a tighter fit.. Thanks

this was one of the toughest watches to source... :)

DavidTaiwan

27/8/14
Norway
The vintage gen also have gaps between end links and case. Also I think the bracelet is the hollow lighter version. Compared to the new version.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
The vintage gen also have gaps between end links and case. Also I think the bracelet is the hollow lighter version. Compared to the new version.

Yes they have the folded end links, as opposed to the solid end end links....
That one i pictured above is one of the best there is.....its a JMB

khanage

8/6/11
Hi mate,
Can you be a bit more specific. The 36mm I referred to is not a vintage version but the one that was pre 2009 (roughly!) before the engraved rehaut and ultimately before it was discontinued. If you look through Bonesy's excellent history of the Explorer at the beginning of the Rolex section, you will find a link to a VERY brief review I posted, but also with some other great info from Mendota and other members.
If that IS the version it is still available from Trevor, MR and a few others.
As mentioned above, it has the hollow centre links and feels a little flimsy....just like the gen! The new 39 mm has the solid links.
This is MR's http://v.yupoo.com/photos/mrwatch/albums/6141790

Hope that helps.

Aarok

Horology Curious
9/10/15
Hello guys,

have been in search for a 36 mm Explorer 1 too. There are at least a few interesting pieces available from Trevor.

Anybody with hands-on experience in the vintage version seen through the below link? A replicate of the 1016 R model supposedly?

http://v.yupoo.com/photos/trevorwatch/90195587/

Can somebody elaborate on why the below Swiss ETA version of the 2836 has a 37 mm case diameter (according to specs seen in one of the photos)? Something to do with the dimensions of the ETA movement?

http://v.yupoo.com/photos/trevorwatch/albums/4426701/

Cheers.

HerrOberst

26/9/13
Try Lucy at Truetime, she's a TD here. I got a 36mm with no engraving and a 2836 clone and it looks and runs great.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Try Lucy at Truetime, she's a TD here. I got a 36mm with no engraving and a 2836 clone and it looks and runs great.
Can you post a pic of the dial and the crown? I'm not sure if I've seen this one.

A lot of these fail when it comes to the crown. Mine from Josh has a terrible crown. The Puretime version had a crown that was identical to gen. Too bad that one isn't available anymore.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
It always seems to be the crown that gets these... I'm guessing there is only 1 version still being made and that is the 2836 version. They are all the same when you look at the pics. Might as well just spend less and get it from Trevor. Angus was selling his version with a 2824 and that's the only one that seems to have really nailed it with the crown. Sadly, that one isn't available anymore.

Lapillo

30/12/14
Italy
I agree with Mendota,

the currently available reps seem to have a wrong crown as specified in this post I made some time ago:

.....Is the crown of the Explorer I replicas thicker than the one on the genuine watch?

In this comparison, the gen is in the middle, the two replicas are some of the best available among the TDs, from what I have heard here on the forum.

T4uGq3Q.jpg

What is your opinion?

So I'm still searching for something good....

Any hint will be most welcome!

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
I agree with Mendota,

the currently available reps seem to have a wrong crown as specified in this post I made some time ago:

So I'm still searching for something good....

Any hint will be most welcome!

Thanks for posting that again, [MENTION=94294]Lapillo[/MENTION]. It helps to see pics of these side by side so you can really see what we are talking about.

Way back in 2008 when I bought mine from Josh, it was my first rep purchase and I was nervous about the whole purchase process. I opted for a high beat 2813, since I was only risking $108. He was selling the ETA 2824 version back then and it was spot on. In hindsight, I am still kicking myself for not buying the ETA version. It is a watch that I still wear very often and now it seems like you just can't get the good version anymore. The only other thing would be to pick up one of these other ones and then immediately replace the crown.