• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which replicas pull it off best / or not so much?

aaamax

Known Member
28/9/15
How close to Gen are the various watches when compared with each other.
While of course none are perfect, some are closer than others. my humble observations are that Pams in general look really close and almost seem to get better with age, while Rolex not. (seriously, how hard is it to get that "O" right?). The JLC Compressor is something that looks like Tijuana in the 80's. Granted, the simpler the design, the easier it is to get right, where in all fairness the JLC is a bear of a design.
Cheers to a great site and I have found this area of WIS so much more interesting than I had thought possible.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Dude, forget "closest to gen" and just buy what you like. Buy for you or you buy for the wrong reasons.

aaamax

Known Member
28/9/15
Dude, forget "closest to gen" and just buy what you like. Buy for you or you buy for the wrong reasons.

I understand your point, but my interest is more from a design standpoint and of course to hear what other members think. I already have my "favorites" and I am sure that other members have theirs. That is what I was interested in hearing about. Not looking for advice as to what to buy at all. In all fairness, closets to gen is part of the game and interest. At least from my perspective.
I am new to this site and by no means want to step on toes or commit noobie infractions… hopefully I'll learn as I go. But I do think it is a legitimate point of interest.
Cheers all.

Dreams watch

8/6/13
Closest to gen in my opinion is the tudor black bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dorsen

Known Member
28/9/15
Submariner! Unless you're holding them both in your hand, you won't be able to tell them apart.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Submariner! Unless you're holding them both in your hand, you won't be able to tell them apart.
Yup, closest out of the box rep would be the tc 16160 with the KH dial fitted.

afdaddy

Renowned Member
13/12/13
I understand your point, but my interest is more from a design standpoint and of course to hear what other members think. I already have my "favorites" and I am sure that other members have theirs. That is what I was interested in hearing about. Not looking for advice as to what to buy at all. In all fairness, closets to gen is part of the game and interest. At least from my perspective.
I am new to this site and by no means want to step on toes or commit noobie infractions… hopefully I'll learn as I go. But I do think it is a legitimate point of interest.
Cheers all.

Honestly, I have no idea what questions you're trying to ask......but it sounds like the same old crap every noob asks, "what are the most accurate reps?" The real answer, that no noob wants to hear, is that is all a matter of taste. For $150, you can get something that does the trick from 5 feet away, for $350, you get something with a laser etched crown, ceramic bezel, and all the other details that will fool 99% of the population. Past that, if you want to spend the money, you can add in gen parts, like crystals and bezel inserts. So like traily said....make up your own damn mind!!

BSCS

11/11/14
I hear the Pams, Tudor Black Bay and Rolex Sea Dweller are pretty accurate. I like Rolex so the best otb rep in my humble opinion is the TC Sub V6.

aaamax

Known Member
28/9/15
Yup, closest out of the box rep would be the tc 16160 with the KH dial fitted.

That Tc made is impressive. If I understand correctly it is a one man operation (Tom Cadell)? The pics I could dig up on the web makes me rethink my earlier stance in regards to rep Rolex. Now if I could get a build like that in a 5513 life would be good.
Cheers.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
That Tc made is impressive. If I understand correctly it is a one man operation (Tom Cadell)? The pics I could dig up on the web makes me rethink my earlier stance in regards to rep Rolex. Now if I could get a build like that in a 5513 life would be good.
Cheers.
Phong and his son are now offering complete ETA based vintage franken builds for $1,450. They have 5513, 6538, and I believe a 1665 Great White. I'd have to check again because I'm not sure if they also offer a GMT or not. If you are ok with a brand new (actually new) Swiss ETA vs a gen 1570, then that could be a great option.

Kind of like a TC vintage build on steroids if TC actually made vintage watches. I really wish he did. I also wish he made a 93150 bracelet...

BSCS

11/11/14
With minimal effort I'm sure you'll find a link. It's been posted and talked about here a zillion times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

"How close to Gen are the various watches when compared with each other."

Congrats, You have all the science about reps right there in that one sentence:)
What people like to do is to compare the rep with it´s exact same model/ brand and variation gen. This can become an obsession - and it can also take all the fun out of it: "Once seen You can´t unsee it etc."

There is a completely different way to go about it: take a gen Omega Seamaster and compare it to a rep Noob V5 submariner; take a Tudor Blackbay and compare it to a gen Breitling; get a gen Rolex and compare it to a Breitling Abyss rep - or even go much further and compare the rep AP Diver with a quartz gen Tissot PRC, which are about the same price.

That´s where You get results You can touch, feel, see, compare:)
In all other instances, per definition, the original will always be better than the fotocopy, regardless how good the copier is (before digital era, think videorecorders and tape-decks), it just depends how deep You dig (if plain sight, a 4x loupe and even a 10x loupe will not disclose the issue: the 40x one will). The comparison - exercise in extenso will always end up in frustration, it´s pre-programmed.

About the 5513. If You stay around a little bit longer, You will discover some simply unbelievably well made 6536, 5512, 5513 and others, put together with more rigour than many 5 digit vintage gens (nowadays often made up of mashed up parts).

This one does quite well:
BP_byDW1024_0261fc_zps7e17438d.jpg

breakpopin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/15
If you are looking for out of the box, I would vote for PAMs, and Rolex subs.

Great even up close for 98.5% of your friends or acquaintances !

Enjoy them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Swagger

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/12/14
I also feel the rolex submariner is a good rep

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I also feel the rolex submariner is a good rep Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
But everyone knows all Rolexes are fakes. I'd go for Omega, just that little less popular and still reasonably priced.

Mandreas

Renowned Member
9/11/14
PAMs
AP Divers
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
Tudor Black Bay
Omega CrPO/LMPO

You could include TC Rolex Sub on that list but since you specifically phrased asking for something that "pulls it off;"

No Rolex "pulls it off" anymore. Not even gens. If people see a Rolex nowadays 9/10 will assume it's fake regardless.