• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Definitive Franken Planet Ocean Thread

omegaplanet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/14
Hi all,

this is a question from a total noob in frankening. I am the proud owner of a Noob CrPO 45.5 bought from puretime. I have a problem with the rep hands though and therefore have to change them. I think this is a good opportunity to go for a small franken and change them with gen hands. Reading a bit through this thread as far as I understood this is a straight swap. Could you franken pundits please confirm this?
Thanks a million for your help bros.

jojonobb

Horology Curious
26/3/15
extremely informative post! thank you a lot!!!! looking into building one!

cutro64

Known Member
31/7/12
Wanted to share a little info that i came across... I went to my local watch smith to have a 4813 V5 PO serviced as its 2+ years old i think .. got it the first day they shipped so cant remember exact.. and i also asked him if he could do anything to make the movement have more reserve or better.. first thing he said after using a beat machine is it runs perfect why service it ... i said my reserve is only about 3-8 hours... i come back a few days and he says he took a Patek main spring and made it fit and performed a full service on the movement.... i asked how long did it run for without movement.. he said its been 48 hours and she is still running.... OBV i did not believe it but. i wore it for 1 day about 14 hours and then let it set at night ... which it never did before ... then wore it again for 12-14 hours and it has now been 50 hours and it just stopped... so this 4813 movement now has a 50 hour reserve.... i am going to call him tomo try to get more details as to what patek movement he used the spring from and mods he had to do so i can share with yall... i was wanting a new NOOB PO with the new movement but now i dont... i guess my next question is what click spring for the bezel do i need and can anyone share links or model numbers ... also what bezel fits from wholesale990 on ebay .. i have V5 Planet ocean orange .... and if i get the bezel from wholesale990 should i swap pearls or what.. thanks

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
i wore it for 1 day about 14 hours and then let it set at night ... which it never did before ... then wore it again for 12-14 hours and it has now been 50 hours and it just stopped... so this 4813 movement now has a 50 hour reserve.... i am going to call him tomo try to get more details as to what patek movement he used the spring from and mods he had to do so i can share with yall...

I wore my PO for about 12 hours each day the last 2 weeks still running must be a 336+ hour power reserve. Maybe because I installed 8 Patek mainsprings in the movement...

frediiii

3/7/15
I wore my PO for about 12 hours each day the last 2 weeks still running must be a 336+ hour power reserve. Maybe because I installed 8 Patek mainsprings in the movement...
harsh. i think what cutro64 was trying to say is that after he took the watch off the second time, it was running for 50h straight. not 50h in total with some wearing inbetween.

seems a bit long though for a single-barrel movement. no matter what kind of spring

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Yes a bit harsh but this guy can be found in the brig now, which says a lot.. I'm not liking people trolling in the serious brand forums. And also as I'm a watchmaker I call BS on the whole story! Patek make quite thin delicate movement with very high precision and they don't need a very strong mainsprings they need a spring with many windings instead. Then mainsprings don't just fit in other barrels especially not a Asian 4813 which is a movement that need a lot of force due to bad tolerances and oft bad oiling. It doesn't even have a jewel bearing for the barrel! Also if a spring is to powerful you get an amplitude error and the watch will run like crap the first hours and the last of its power reserve for that to work a differential is needed... Or some type of constant force system.

Then a Asian 4813 you don't service you change it because they cost 30$ and a normal service of an automatic is around 100-200$ depending on movement and location.

But maybe I should have said my theory in the brig where its more appropriate.

frediiii

3/7/15
thought he was trolling too, but gave him the benefit of the doubt due to lacking knowledge. thought it was the more sensible thing to do...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
Hi Guys, i have have an 42mm UPO 3rd gen for about 4 years. It has a gen Swiss ETA 2836 movement. If I get a gen case, gen dial and gen hands, can the ETA movement work to build the watch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

thewatchdog

26/6/14
I have a Noob CrPO 45mm. I scratched the outer AR and want to replace the crystal. I emailed a TD but he said that the noob crystal is not available but he can get v6f crystal for me. Will it fit on the noob case? Mr.pap and other experts please help.
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I don't recall someone that have tried that to be honest. Usually parts are not interchangeable among different models unless you make a few mods...

nofitstate

20/7/13
I have a Noob CrPO 45mm. I scratched the outer AR and want to replace the crystal. I emailed a TD but he said that the noob crystal is not available but he can get v6f crystal for me. Will it fit on the noob case? Mr.pap and other experts please help.
Thanks.

You might just be best polishing the rest of the outer AR off with a bit of Cape Cod. Takes a little effort but not to much time.

thewatchdog

26/6/14
You might just be best polishing the rest of the outer AR off with a bit of Cape Cod. Takes a little effort but not to much time.
I already did that, but i dont like it that way [emoji14]

thewatchdog

26/6/14
I don't recall someone that have tried that to be honest. Usually parts are not interchangeable among different models unless you make a few mods...
Thank you sir. Then i shall wait till he can get the noob crystal :)

warcelo

Known Member
15/9/10
Hey guys! Will the gen crown and tube, for the PO 42, fit without any mods? Or will i have to glue or drill something?
I did the dial, hands and crystal and now i'm thinking about the crown and tube!
Thanks!