• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

how long can replica watch last?

rogerfiona

Horology Curious
23/7/15
guys,

i just made my first purchase via the td here. just wondering, how long does a replica last for u guys? care to share experience?

FLWatchGuy

Renowned Member
Supporter
22/3/15
I was in the rep game in about 2001 - 2002. I still have a couple of 21j Submariners and Daytonas from that time period that have never been serviced and are going strong.

Skywatch

11/1/15
That really depends on how the watch is used and cared for. I had a sub rep purchased in 1990-1991 and was still working great when I gave it away last year.

DocHolliday

Huckleberry Sales Mod
Advisor
11/2/15
I think it also depends on the buyer as well. It can last 10 years with no problem, or it could last 45 days and poop out. I forgot who said it on here but I've never forgotten it. "Your watch is probably being assembled on top of a sandwich during lunch" if you get a 21j and it breaks after a couple years, the movement also costs about $30 w/shipping. If you go with something nicer I'd recommend getting it serviced, and regulated once you've received it. "In time of peace prepare for war"

repvar

2/4/15
they can last for decades, most of these movements aren't rocket science, at this point the movements are pretty much identical to the originals(that's because the patents expired so they can be copied). Granted there is a lower barrier for quality, so it might break after the first couple of winds...but if it survives the first few winds, chances are it'll be fine for a long time...unless you do something to mess it up(i.e. you decide to go play sports while wearing one)

here is the thing, even if the replica shits the bed after 5 years, it'll still be cheaper to buy a brand new one(which after 5 years will be even closer to gen) than it would to pay to service a gen. Or you can just buy a brand new rep movement for peanuts and swap it in.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
I have had this for 10+ years and until the last few weeks have worn it just about every day doing every activity including snorkelling, hundreds of times in sauna and hot tub and just about everything else. Stopped on me last year and had a £100 service and carried in since perfectly. A true gem of a watch. Recently changed to s rubber b but the stainless steel strap is still great with little stretch on the links.

cf60e07fd9035f98f1da18e3a6d922a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umirza85

12/6/15
I have had this for 10+ years and until the last few weeks have worn it just about every day doing every activity including snorkelling, hundreds of times in sauna and hot tub and just about everything else. Stopped on me last year and had a £100 service and carried in since perfectly. A true gem of a watch. Recently changed to s rubber b but the stainless steel strap is still great with little stretch on the links.

cf60e07fd9035f98f1da18e3a6d922a5.jpg

Where did you get it serviced in the UK? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find somewhere reliable.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Where did you get it serviced in the UK? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find somewhere reliable.

I used Time Piece Watch Repairs. They have around 8 kiosks around the NW UK. They were easy to talk to and commented on the quality of the rep. They do pressure testing but haven't tried them for that as I built my own as described in this forum that seems to have worked well so far.
I have found a local horologist through google that I am going to approach soon rather than using a retail high street presence. Maybe he will help or just tell me to go away. Would be nice to build up a personal relationship with a watchsmith.

Subsub468

Horology Curious
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/7/15
Can you source eta movements if the clones break? How hard is it to change the movements out?

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Can you source eta movements if the clones break? How hard is it to change the movements out?

Yes, it can be done. However, it is getting more expensive to source eta mov'ts. It is not hard at all to swap movements if the specs match and you have the right tools. There are many threads on here about mov't swaps.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Easier to get the Sellita clones these days. Around £100 or so for a loose pack ETA2824 from Cousins

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
It's like buying a used car....the clutch etc. may break on day 2 but you just repair it and move on. Same with watches. Just because it breaks doesn't mean it's dead and ready for the bin.

umirza85

12/6/15
I used Time Piece Watch Repairs. They have around 8 kiosks around the NW UK. They were easy to talk to and commented on the quality of the rep. They do pressure testing but haven't tried them for that as I built my own as described in this forum that seems to have worked well so far.
I have found a local horologist through google that I am going to approach soon rather than using a retail high street presence. Maybe he will help or just tell me to go away. Would be nice to build up a personal relationship with a watchsmith.

Thanks

elbisivni

Horology Curious
20/7/15
My concerns about rep reliability are the reason why I went with a base Panny.

I realise that the likelihood is that absolutely nothing is going to go wrong, but the knowledge that I can get another movement for considerably less than the cost of a service, not to mention the hassle of finding a reliable repairer that will touch a rep where I live, is comforting.

I already have a watch repair kit - $30 off eBay, including all the goodies.

I'm not treating the rep as disposable, just as a potential project watch should something bad happen.

jonhcox

28/10/10
I buy reps with the understanding that they are not assembled with the greatest of care. That said, a service, waterproofing (if it can be) and regulating do wonders for them. I've got a early Ceramic Sub from 2007 that still runs great and it's been serviced twice just because. The Asian 2824 and 2836 mov'ts are pretty reliable if cared for. Usually when I buy a new rep I know it's probably going to get serviced within a couple weeks of getting it. At that point it's about moving around the play money so my wife doesn't slit my throat because I bought a new watch.

tagthis

9/2/15
It's like buying a used car....the clutch etc. may break on day 2 but you just repair it and move on. Same with watches. Just because it breaks doesn't mean it's dead and ready for the bin.

This is a bad analogy unless you are referring to the replica Range Rover made in China.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
This is a bad analogy unless you are referring to the replica Range Rover made in China.

Lol. Yeh not the best analogy but point is OPs question is like saying "how long will it be before my used car breaks down?"

Who knows. Maybe drives for years with no issues or something might break on day 2.

Same with reps.

Used Range Rover purchased from a man on the street may have questionable servicing.....same as reps built in a warehouse.

Anyway, I'm bored and this analogy is stupid.