• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Is Your Definition Of "Pulling Off" The Rep You Wear?

Singuy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/15
I see people write "can't pull off a patek", which to me seems more income based.

I am wondering what your definition of what you can pull off or not is based on?
: income/personality/something else?

If income, then what do you think in your mind, is a good percentage of your annual income you think you can pull off?

alucard666

I'm Pretty Popular
14/1/10
Outside of complete strangers most people will know if you you are in the <100k, 100-200k, 200-500k or 500k+ income range. Easy to match that to the watch even though there are many exception. Students, watch fanatics who saved up etc etc. Even then there is a certain reach. I can see someone under a 100k saving up to a 8-10k watch. But the same person wearing a 150k Patek. Doubt it. I would say it starts around 5% and jumps to a higher % as people climb socially as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan86

Renowned Member
27/12/14
I would say it is definitely income based. If you are a $40k a year desk drone and you are flashing 5 different APs or a Patek then it simply doesn't pass the sniff test.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

It's not only income based....

People who are fashion conscious may think that a particular watch/design/model is not compatible with their individual sense of style and dress sense.

For example, wearing a dressy PP with jeans and T-shirt won't look as "style appropriate" as wearing it with a badass bespoke saville row suit.

So if you're always in jeans and t-shirt (and are very style conscious) then you might say "I can't pull of patek's"

Ardbeg

Renowned Member
11/2/15
I personally don't care about 'pulling' it off.

I've owned and worn Gen watches that are double the cost of the car I'm driving at a given time. To a stranger that would scream FAKE! I've experienced the same with clothing. Personally, I think it is funny and who cares what other people think.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
I think if you're driving a toyota corolla and live in a modest house and wore gen pateks nobody would believe they were gen. I think the reps must fit within your lifestyle. I prefer to do it the other way round. I drive a porsche and wear reps and nobody questions a thing.

But then again if you don't care, what does it matter.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Check out the RWI lookbook thread....if you get the "look" right (ie when you CAN "pull it off) it makes the watch look that much more special.

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
Personally I buy the watches for myself to enjoy the form and variety of design. Frankly don't give a damn what anyone thinks. I wore combat shorts yesterday and a t shirt and in my wrist was a gen breitling, last week a gen sub. I've worn a suit to work rocking a Casio g shock. If anyone I know has an issue with that they can kiss my behind.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA

With the advent of easy credit, many people in the US can buy a $30k watch (for example). I'm not really impressed by people who have expensive watches because of that reason. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the watches.

AGL

Renowned Member
7/6/11
I wear reps of the watches I can afford to buy. I couldn't afford to buy a 30k AP so I wouldn't wear a rep as it just wouldn't look legit, but I could wear a 7k PAM and it wouldn't look out of place or unbelievable.

I choose to buy reps because right now, I have other financial goals that come before buying a genuine luxury watch.

D

d4m.test

Rule of thumb for reasonability is 1% if You have no income, only savings: 100k = $1.000 watch; 1 Million = $10.000 watch
If You do have income, it should be 2 weeks pay for the watch or 1/26th of the net income: 100k=$3826 watch; 28k=$1.000 watch (double if You buy a gen every 2 Years);

With easy credit, credit cards and a consumption thinking the real world goes more for 2 months pay = 1 watch, so with 36k You´re good for the stainless Rolex but for APs and Pateks You´d need over 100k net/annum and once You start having that kind of income it shows on other things as general behaviour, house and car as well;

In the EU You deduct between 45% and 65% from Your gross income on taxes and social security and have a going VAT-rate of 19% to 25% on everything, including the AP or Patek. Watch choice imo will depend if You fancy either watches or cars.

Geographically it is simple, very expensive watches are very affordable for ppl living in tax-exempt Monaco or tax-friendly Switzerland:)

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
I see people write "can't pull off a patek", which to me seems more income based.

I am wondering what your definition of what you can pull off or not is based on?
: income/personality/something else?

If income, then what do you think in your mind, is a good percentage of your annual income you think you can pull off?
The way I see it is some people who buy APs very much want to wear their wealth on their sleeve (Ala Rappers) Patek Buyers move in circles where that watch would be well known.

I could never rock either because I believe people who buy those watches extend that expense and quality to the rest of their kit. Bally shoes, Name brand everything. Expensive cars. I wear a SUB because it is one of the few watches 1. most people think are fake 2. are affordable to almost anyone who can save $7000

In my circles no one would know a PAM from a Patek. I just don't have wealthy friends. Many would not even recognize a Rolex as being anything more than a Seiko. That said, they know I pay cash for cars and own our home, so a Rolex SUB is not much of a stretch. A Solid gold or Smurf at $30K would scream fake on my wrists, I would be embarrassed to wear or to indicate I am wearing a $15K + watch. even if I wanted to be a fool with money. But it makes no sense to me. It's too big a chunk for a wristwatch. So you won't see me wearing even $10K REPS I sold nearly all my "expensive" REPS and try not to have one where the real thing cost over $10K

I drive a 12 Miata MX5 and a 15 Tacoma TRD. Not exactly vehicles one would associate with the kind of wealth it would take to rock a $30K watch. So I would not wear the REPS of high end watches. . I don't wear designer clothing.Well I do have a few NIKEs I bought on Ali Express because I would NEVER pay $90 for a pair of sneakers. I will buy a single $8000 watch but wear $25 AirMax sneakers.. go figure..

IMO to rock a $30K watch without upscaling the rest of one's kit makes the watch scream rep for those in the know. Younger guys have more issues with this than older guys. A young guy working at Mc Donalds rocking an AP just doesn't "fit" But I can see a SUB on a young guys wrist who has a good job, nice car, and maybe even a house.

The car pretty much says a lot as well, Can a young guy really spend $8K or more on a watch and drive a beater? Sure! but That makes no sense. Young guys as a whole like nice cars more than fine exclusive watches. The nice car would come first. Especially if seeking status....Something cars and watches seem to do most. People "wear" both.

Actually Rolex is in the cellar in status when one really looks at the expensive watch market. The Uber rich either wear Seikos or six figure watches I would not be aware of. They give Rolexes away as cheap gifts.

That is why I can wear the real thing and yet many would assume it is a fake because the Rolex Sub is the MOST replicated watch made. I am ok with that. I am also very ok with it being a GEN if and when asked. If they catch me with the BLNR I have to say it's a REP because "I can only make sense of owning one Rolex and that one is at home".But if people know you have a GEN they will think all your watches are GENS and likely won't ask.

PLUS. A Rolex is a good investment and instant currency. In a few years when a new SUB Date costs $10K I will have a watch worth what I paid for it. That cannot be said of many lower end brands like Brietling .

Singuy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/15
Rule of thumb for reasonability is 1% if You have no income, only savings: 100k = $1.000 watch; 1 Million = $10.000 watch
If You do have income, it should be 2 weeks pay for the watch or 1/26th of the net income: 100k=$3826 watch; 28k=$1.000 watch (double if You buy a gen every 2 Years);

With easy credit, credit cards and a consumption thinking the real world goes more for 2 months pay = 1 watch, so with 36k You´re good for the stainless Rolex but for APs and Pateks You´d need over 100k net/annum and once You start having that kind of income it shows on other things as general behaviour, house and car as well;

In the EU You deduct between 45% and 65% from Your gross income on taxes and social security and have a going VAT-rate of 19% to 25% on everything, including the AP or Patek. Watch choice imo will depend if You fancy either watches or cars.

Geographically it is simple, very expensive watches are very affordable for ppl living in tax-exempt Monaco or tax-friendly Switzerland:)

Interesting, how did you come up with those numbers?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I saw a solid 18ct rose gold with genuine diamond bezel Patek in China at a rep dealers just last Saturday. Price tag was RMB55,000 ($9,000)!! I guess if you can afford to spend that much on a rep it wouldn't be hard to "pull it off"!! Looked nice but not my thing!

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Most people don't know the difference between a $1000 watch and a $100,000 watch...and they'll assume most Rolexes are fakes... Who cares what people think.. wear what YOU like..

jonhcox

28/10/10
I cheated to a degree. A relative of my brother in law has an antique store and is a HUGE watch fanatic. His is the first and only real Patek Nautilus I've ever seen. I don't think he paid 40k for it because he's a sneaky ******; he likely traded a painting or two and cash. He got my brother in law a Rolex Sea Dweller at a HELL of a good price. It's used but it's now almost 8 years old and runs like a champ. He got my best friend, a Police Officer, a Submariner (paid for by many hours of overtime) that was next to new. He got me a Breitling SOA for a great price too. I only work in IT and I do ok- I'm just a huge watch fanatic as are my brother in law and best friend, but we have to save for a while to get them. Funny enough, only maybe 3 people have ever asked about it. Most don't even care.