• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

looks like I've been scammed on gen forum

NickOT

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/09
I just want to have a rant on my recent experience on a gen forum

Here is a thread I have posted there which gives a brief overview: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/i-think-ive-just-been-scammed-2156906.html#post18569161

Basically I bought a gen speedmaster case, dial, hands and a 861 movement with old dial and hands attached for $1800 from a seller on watchuseek, what I received was a dirty old box (with lots of dust, hair and crap) which only contained omega seamaster diver manual, small plastic box with some watch parts (lemania blank dial, movement dust cover, a gear and some tips for hand setting tools).
He didn't reply my PM and on watchuseek apparently you don't contact a mod/admin, the guide says to post in the feedback thread and then report the post to a mod, which I did.
After a few days the seller replies (apparently he was away) but all he does is pretty much say he has a good reputation, sold loads before, so my accusations where false. He did not reply my PMs, did not contact me to try get more information to find out what is going on and pretty much just ignored me.
Even the admin who replied my post says the seller is being disingenuous as he is ignoring the questions I am directing at him.
I got in touch with the admin and it turns out the admin had been PMing the seller who was side stepping the questions the admin was asking him, until the admin gave him an ultimatum at which point he said he sent me the 861 movement, dial and hands. slight problem there, in total he should have sent me a case, a movement and two sets of dials and hands. Anyway I've given all the details to the admin who is hopefully doing something about this.

I just can't believe this is happening, I thought I would be able to trust someone who had a decent reputation, but it seems like there is always a chance given the opportunity is tempting enough that they will try scamming. The seller actually said "We have sold many expensive items here , on Ebay and Omega forums , why do it for a low amount ? And why now ? WHY ?"
Well to me it looks like he thought it would be an easy opportunity to scam me, he has decent reputation , is active and has sold a lot on watchuseek, vs me who only had a couple of posts. I had really hoped it was just an honest mistake and he sent me the wrong box or some simple explanation, but the fact he is ignoring me, and sidestepping the admin's questions does not looks good, it does not look like he is going to cooperate in getting this resolved.
luckily I had not paid by gift, but the case is with paypal now and they are reviewing it which can take up to 30 days and I have no idea how they will make a decision on this..

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Oh man that sucks dude,
I hope you get it all sorted out !

I hate it when this kind of thing happens to good people :(

esco

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/08
Very sorry to hear about this situation... unfortunately, it's one of those risks that we still encounter despite our diligence. Hang in there, it's never anything we'd like to see happen to honest folks.

bRONX

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/13
wow not even safe on gen forums... smh scumbags, if PP fails have your bank reverse it

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
Guy has too much feed back for your to battle him...

Your only bet is paypal... Go file a police report and upload that to paypal..

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
Record package opening packages in future.. Really solves most problems imo

Hellbilly

Known Member
17/6/15
Sorry to hear of your trouble. I have been reading a lot about people getting scammed out of their hard earned money lately , not good. I think this post is the deciding factor for me not to buy or sell on any forums. I have bought and sold watches for years and have never heard of so much scamming. I am an honest person and every dollar I make is honestly. If I bought on a forum from someone with a high post count and got ripped off I'm sure the outcome wouldn't be in my favor.If I sold to that person they could lie and say "empty Box" or not as described and again who's word would be believed?
Maybe I am being irrational here but I think my best bet would be not to buy or sell. Really it's to bad because I'm sure 99% here are good people.

D

d4m.test

Hi, from clicking through (and several pics missing) what I get is this: Seller advertised 2 separate sales shipping from HK on/after the 21.07. (today 28.07.)
What You received (from my interpretation) was package Nr.1, package 2 is still outstanding. There is a language barrier between seller and buyer.
As it´s with PP anyway they normally decide in favour of the buyer, so Your chances are good.

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Sorry to hear. Hope all turns out well.

NickOT

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/09
Thanks for your support guys :)

Hi, from clicking through (and several pics missing) what I get is this: Seller advertised 2 separate sales shipping from HK on/after the 21.07. (today 28.07.)
What You received (from my interpretation) was package Nr.1, package 2 is still outstanding. There is a language barrier between seller and buyer.
As it´s with PP anyway they normally decide in favour of the buyer, so Your chances are good.

Seller is shipping from europe, he listed two items which he offered to me for a combined price of $1800.
He shipped a couple of weeks ago and delivered to me in HK on 20.07 all items should have been together in one package, but as you can see in the photo I posted up this was not what I received...

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
RWI should start an insurance policy :) Not that it happened here, but been reading tons about good people being scammed.

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
I will insure all packages for 3% on all transactions.. =)

BirkinTourbillon

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/14
OP, sorry to hear that buddy. That is a clear sign that scammers are indeed everywhere. That's when feedback and reputation are considered important. Anyways, hope things can get sorted out in your favour mate

"Tienes que correr riesgos, en esta vida"

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
Hopefully you get your funds back, or the seller sends you the right items. Good luck

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
Sorry to hear...I am practically the only seller who offers refunds on every sale I make ,if the buyer does not get what was advertised or they have an issue. So far I have refunded ONE watch and did not transfer funds from another sale until the buyer gave me an all clear. I think that is the least a seller can do when dealing with strangers on a forum.

Junger

5/6/15
Sorry to hear... I thought about buying from m2m but I've been hearing a lot of issues lately. I don't think I can purchase over the internet, especially gen unless it is face to face. Anyways, hope everything works out.

NickOT

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/09
ok, so an update from paypal:

"In order to continue with our investigation, we need documentation supporting your claim that the item is damaged or significantly not as described. Please obtain a document (such as an estimate or invoice) from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer, repair shop, appraiser, or another individual or organization that is qualified in the area of the item in question (other than you). This document should detail the extent of the damage or clearly explain how the item received significantly differs from the item advertised."

So I need to find a watchsmith to confirm that the junk I received is in fact not the parts I ordered... I don't know any watch smiths in HK, let alone ones that would know good english to be able to write me this document, and they would probably charge me for it as well. Is there any qualified watchsmith on here that would be willing to help me with this? Would really appreciate any help, paypal has not given me much time for this, I ahve to respond within 3 days.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
ok, so an update from paypal:

"In order to continue with our investigation, we need documentation supporting your claim that the item is damaged or significantly not as described. Please obtain a document (such as an estimate or invoice) from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer, repair shop, appraiser, or another individual or organization that is qualified in the area of the item in question (other than you). This document should detail the extent of the damage or clearly explain how the item received significantly differs from the item advertised."

So I need to find a watchsmith to confirm that the junk I received is in fact not the parts I ordered... I don't know any watch smiths in HK, let alone ones that would know good english to be able to write me this document, and they would probably charge me for it as well. Is there any qualified watchsmith on here that would be willing to help me with this? Would really appreciate any help, paypal has not given me much time for this, I ahve to respond within 3 days.
couldnt you just head to omega? its a gen right?