• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What makes AP so special?

tom5858

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/15
USA
So just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on this one. I used to be a huge Rolex person so brought a few gens in recent years. But I'm really digging APs these days (originally didn't like them, thought they had weird designs with the hex shape and screws, but it really grew on me) so I got my first AP rep not long ago to see how they would look on me.

So, big question is, what makes AP so special that if comparing basic Rolex models to AP models (ex. Diver vs. Deepsea), the AP is usually 2x the price of Rolex? Some say it's because of AP's brand, history, prestige, handcrafted movement? What do you guys think?

D

d4m.test

Just the usual, Rolex are overpriced but still fantastic, they hold their value and it´s the watch to get. Beautifully handcrafted AP movements (as handcrafted anything) are something to behold but luxury items only (sensibly) affordable by a selected few - or for all those that do not drive. Fantastic relics from times passed.
In some areas modern times give, in many others they take....
And AP doesn´t use riders on horseback to bring some pieces of selected metals to a master watchsmith artisan any more, but You can always dream:)

cornholio

Renowned Member
6/5/15
AP should change their name to Royal Oak, since that model line is what's really carrying the brand. And what makes it special? think of Porsche, design wise its the same car its been since the 60's with changes added to it every year. AP is the same with their Royal Oak, its an old design yet always new. If you get an old RO it still looks modern today. And as for the ROO line, its just AP adding sport watches to their line to appeal to the younger generation as that is what you need to these days to sustain your presence in the industry.

What makes it so expensive? In terms of material used in general, nothing except for the movement. The ridiculoulsly high prices are a result of branding to maintain its exclusivity, but then again, the same can be said about all high end watches, except in the case of AP PP VC (the holy trinity of high end watches) they can price their products above the rest due to their history in the industry. For ex, AP is still owned by the founding members so that adds a bit of class to the brand.

I could be wrong, but thats my opinion on the matter.

sxl94274

Horology Curious
17/6/15
in my opinio 1st AP movements looks bit cooler ? than rolexs ... hmm
2nd bigest thing for me is that i am in mid 30, and when I wear my AP it blends in suit or casual suit with modern look
and plus there are too many rolex ( rep ) out there so that when even wear the gen people may just pull u with thats rep
for exmaple , lady takes the subway with real chanel bag , and lady get from luxury car with rep chanel .. u know
public eye matter sometimes.

bRONX

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/13
peoples preference maybe ? as for the pricing ... rolex produces a whole lot more than AP does yearly,

among rich watch enthusiasts rolex is like a toyota, these guys drop 15-30k usd for one watch

gregarthur

Known Member
3/8/15
well personally I like the AP hexagonal case, it's elegant and looks awesome on hand. and rolex is just too mainstream.