• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Latest Portofino Chrono vs Gen

Kutio

20/10/10
Hi all,

Here’s a quick review over the Portofino chrono. A friend lent me his gen so I can do some comparisons.
As a watch on its own it is scary good. It’s only big flaw is the lack of AR. From a visual perspective it’s a big flaw.

Before I start there may be slight difference in the model altogether because the gen was purchased more than 4yrs ago and this rep may be models of the more recent models which has Sunburst dial.

The case:
Fantastic, hard to pick on. Possible bezel is a shave thinner on the rep. And lugs have the tiniest shape difference. Only noticeable side by side.
The crown and pushers:
The crown is definitely sharper on the rep. Engraving is pretty much identical.
The pusher shape is great, but rep is seems a shave longer.

Crystal:
Obviously no AR, sucks. The edge distortion is also greater because of the edge cutting on the rep has great angle. Can see it when you put the watches side by side, but won’t notice it apart.

Dial:
I would say very nicely replicated, but let’s get picky!
Subdial – markers a bit thick, font a bit thick on rep
Hour markets – too flat compared to gen. Gen has a more circular finish hence comes across more polished.
Minute markers – a tad thicker on rep.
“IWC†– looks good
“Schaffhausen†– font a tad thick on rep
Date window: looks good
Date/Day font: a tad thin on rep
Texture - Hard to tell without taking it out. But looks correct.
Alright let’s not get so picky! It really is very close. I highly doubt you will get called out on its own.

Bracelet feels very nice also, not too sharp. I reckon it will just fit 7 inch wrist, not much more.

All considered, it’s a fantastic rep and if you can find a gen crystal then it’s worth getting, to make it close to a super rep. Straight out the factory, I wouldn’t say it’s a super-rep.

Some more photos

Cheers
Kutio

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
Thanks! It's on my list now. Not on the first place, but in the top 5. AR is no problem, SSTEEL in a neighbour forum will do this if you want it.

hotwheels

Renowned Member
22/10/14
Bay Area, California
Wow, nice review and comparison! Congrats on the purchase. Are most of the IWC models this well made to gen? What's the movement on your portofino, A7750?

Kutio

20/10/10
For now I'm happy to wear it as it is. To be honest without the gen next to it, I don't even notice any AR issues at all.

It's a7750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jg1281

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/15
Thanks for the info! If you took the crystal out to get AR applied you may not be able to tell the difference without really getting into the details.

What was the weight difference? Was the GEN heavier or lighter?

Kutio

20/10/10
Thanks for the info! If you took the crystal out to get AR applied you may not be able to tell the difference without really getting into the details.

What was the weight difference? Was the GEN heavier or lighter?

I didn't notice any difference in hand

Vorenus

15/2/15
Love gen vs rep posts. Honestly did not think this rep was that close to gen.

Great review buddy!

Zaqui123

Looking Around
8/12/14
Great post! As Vorenus said, Love gen vs rep posts. I think we all do :laugh:

The Portofino is definitely on my "to get list". Thou I can't decide if I should go with Portofino Chrono or just the simple Portofino 3565, though decision! :doh:

wizzzard

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
18/3/13
UK
Nice pics and great overview. Thanks for taking the time to post!

seiko5

1/11/13
Great comparison pics. They really are close. Now spend dem bucks and getter AR'd

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Can anyone please tell me what the proper leather strap size is for this. For polished non deployant buckle. I am assuming 20/18 or 22/18 something along those lines. Want to order a custom strap for an inbound model but need to know which size i would need. Someone please help me out here.

Donger

Horology Curious
13/6/15
Wow, nice comparison! Sorry for the noob question, but what is AR? Tapatalk search not very intuitive.

dukie5440

15/3/15
Anti reflective coating - generally applied to the inside or both sides of the xtal

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Ruski91

12/10/12
Bump for the strap size? Please let me know folks.

Ruski91

12/10/12
Bump again. Watch is in route and i need to order a strap for it. Someone please help me out here. Need to know the lug size for this watch.

wtfnoob

Horology Curious
12/10/13
Sorry if I'm retarded, but as someone new to the rep game, which one is the gen and which one is the rep? I'm not skilled enough to tell them apart yet =S. Is the rep the leather band one, or the stainless mesh one?

Thanks

Ruski91

12/10/12
Gen was on leather ... Rep was on mesh strap. The giveaway should be the anti reflective coating (AR). Which is almost nonexistent in the two but had a nice blue hue to it on the gen.

wtfnoob

Horology Curious
12/10/13
Ahh, damn I thought the one on the leather strap looked better for some reason - though I couldn't exactly pinpoint why. When buying from TDs is there an option to upgrade the AR for extra cost?

Prancuzas

Renowned Member
6/3/12
Ahh, damn I thought the one on the leather strap looked better for some reason - though I couldn't exactly pinpoint why. When buying from TDs is there an option to upgrade the AR for extra cost?

They can't offer AR services, so You will have to organize it Yourself :)