• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Seamaster Chronometer 300m..any swim-able?

mishka

Known Member
14/11/06
Howdy folks,

Very lame noob question to ask... is there any Omega Seamaster Chronometer 300m
that you could actually swim with on? Not that I find myself in the Bahamas that often...but it would be nice to face water without fear of damage.

Thanks for any advice...thank god this is a flame free zone :oops:

All the best,
Mish

watchlover

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/06
No worries mate.

It's hit or miss with reps. I heard stories about some reps that are "swimmable", even, "scuba-diveable"

But you can always pressure test it if you're not sure. Some dealers also offer water testing pre-buy (up to 3atm..)

It all boils down to how tight is the front crystal seal and the rubber seal on the back

Note that for swimming you need at least 10atm IMHO.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
I really would doubt that any of our chrono equiped reps would be water tight.

watchlover

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/06
andreww said:
I really would doubt that any of our chrono equiped reps would be water tight.

If I remember correctly there is someone who watertested his Omega SMP Chrono rep @ RWG... and it passed with flying colors, at least that's what the chap said :)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@Andrew... Breitling Chrono Avenger Ti is really good to go underwater. I would rate it fine for scuba diving. Another one that has been tested for swimming is Tag Chrono Link and IWC GST Chrono Ti... all OK after checking seals (replacing on Tag) and properly lubing it. All OK!!! I guess it has got to do with case construction and quality of the seal.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yeah true... and restoring a mechanical watch that has been damaged by water is pretty expensive.

mishka

Known Member
14/11/06
Thanks guys!
I assumed this was the case, but always worth asking! :D

All the best,
Mish