• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Concerned over friend's new rolex purchase

tony8028

30/11/12
a mate purchased a gen black GMT second hand which he was showing me today....first thing that struck me was how light it was.

I was wearing a steinhart at the time (Ocean Black) which was a lot heavier....not that this is an indication, but it just surprised me.

the thing that did concern me was the crystal was badly scratched which reminded me of the cheap MBK watches I had purchased in Thailand before I had any clues about reps.

Now I understand that this watch did come with a plastic face as apposed to the crystal?

The magnification looked 'ok'.....he said that someone in the past had commented that it 'looks like a fake' but I think thats the natural reaction to any Rolex!

I wish I could have taken a pic but felt a but rude asking.....

kevin.123

Renowned Member
12/8/14
Well if it's a gmt the instant tell would be the hand stack?
Is it correct? If I'm right it should be minute, hour, gmt and seconds. Minute being the lowest.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

The watch having a plexi points to an early GMT - and on those the GMT hand would be below the hour hand (same as with reps). Without pics and the exact reference it´s supposed to be/ engravings on the caseset and bracelet difficult to tell.

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
The watch having a plexi points to an early GMT - and on those the GMT hand would be below the hour hand (same as with reps). Without pics and the exact reference it´s supposed to be/ engravings on the caseset and bracelet difficult to tell.
+1. 100% ignored the plexi clue. My fault, OP. Next time you run into it take some pics. Tell him because you love the watch not that you're checking for authenticity.