• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

U boat chimera black and bronze

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Wow. That looks stunning. I'm curious too because Toro said he gave up on production of the bronze version due to its complexity. If this is anything like in the photos (and I'm very skeptical), I might be making my first AE purchase.

Come for the watches, stay for the drama! [emoji12]

Bull05

20/10/15
Hey, I made quite a few Ali Express watch purchases and actually they are not that bad. The fact that your money doesn't transfer to them until you have confirmed that the item you have received is good. I saw that B and B on NOOB site as well and saw a few of the Bronze ones. It all depends on how if you are very anal on the watch being almost like a gen. As for me, as long as the watch looks amazing and works, I'm good with that. I will get the bronze or that B and B and let you guys know when I do. I'm also going to ask them for new photos and to put it on a piece of paper with the date like they do here in the sale forum. Let's see what happens.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Thanks for taking one for the team. I'm sure many like me are eagerly awaiting your report on the bronze version. [emoji106]

Bull05

20/10/15
Hehe np...She is also saying she has the automatic version. I'm sending her an email trying to find out what movement she is talking about. The auto is 544$US though.

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
Hehe np...She is also saying she has the automatic version. I'm sending her an email trying to find out what movement she is talking about. The auto is 544$US though.
Please let me know what she says as those are two different versions of the watch. One seems like it is the forged carbon version. Also wondering what a TD would say if you sent those pictures and asked if they could get you one.

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
TD's will tell you the Bronze Chimera is not available. Toro was involved in a project with the manufacturers to rep this piece, but it was abandoned as too difficult. There's a thread on it in this same forum.

I would almost guarantee that this unit being sold is plated stainless and not real bronze. That's a showstopper for me. Disappointing that this amazing piece will probably never be repped.

Bull05

20/10/15
Well so far the dealer on aliexpress which had the BandB doesn't have it anymore for some reason...Will keep an eye on it. ahhhh it is back online now....hmmmm weird

darrylbster

Horology Curious
10/11/15
TD's will tell you the Bronze Chimera is not available. Toro was involved in a project with the manufacturers to rep this piece, but it was abandoned as too difficult. There's a thread on it in this same forum.

I would almost guarantee that this unit being sold is plated stainless and not real bronze. That's a showstopper for me. Disappointing that this amazing piece will probably never be repped.

You're right, the watch is a plated stainless. I ordered it anyway because I love the look, I wore the original and was smitten. bronze is expensive to work with, so you'll probably never see a true bronze replica at this price. The seller actually told me a true bronze would sell for over 500 USD, over 1000 USD for the automatic.

The watch was just delivered to my house so I'm excited to see the quality.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Don't keep us wait, bro! [emoji6][emoji1]

darrylbster

Horology Curious
10/11/15
Don't keep us wait, bro! [emoji6][emoji1]

I took a bunch of pictures but the lighting was off, I'll take a few more tonight with better light and post.

The watch shipped in about a week, shipment tracking was garbage through the sellers suggested tracking website but a universal package tracker did the job really well. I was surprised at the speed to be honest.
The watch itself is very attractive, glass was clear and flawless, all mechanisms working as expected
. The black elements would appear to be acid treated to give it a pleasing texture and the coated stainless is very nice, as is the strap.
I tested the stop watch feature and all buttons function smoothly, the only negative I would have is that the the smaller hand does not return exactly north, it is very slightly off. I have a video of the movements and I will try to post that as well.

I also have pictures of me wearing the actual U-Boat Chimera B&B somewhere, I'll dig those up for comparison pictures on the same wrist.

Better review to follow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1bro9wbmtuul3g/IMG_0550.JPG?dl=0

Bull05

20/10/15
Darry, did you get it from NOOB on Aliexpress? So it is nice even though quarts...I'm still waiting for her to drop it a liitle....

darrylbster

Horology Curious
10/11/15
$500 for a quartz?! No way it's worth that much.

I agree, and clearly so do they which is why they use coated stainless. 500 was if they WERE to make it out of bronze. Currently 500USD gets you the automatic bronze finish stainless replica, the quartz is 135 USD.

darrylbster

Horology Curious
10/11/15
Darryl, did you get it from NOOB on Aliexpress? So it is nice even though quarts...I'm still waiting for her to drop it a little....

Yeah I got it from NOOB on Aliexpress. I think it's very nice, I'll try to get more pictures online today. They actually just increased the price, that's why it was offline for a very brief time. I made up my mind one day too late, but it only went up something like 8 dollars. I don't know how much it's going to drop, I doubt its getting down to the dirty 80's like some of the other ones I've seen as a result of the finishes involved. Time will tell.

wolfwood

4/2/11
Even the PAM bronzo rep which is made out of real bronze with an automatic movement is only around $300.

darrylbster

Horology Curious
10/11/15
It's a hard argument in either direction really, it's all about personal taste. Personally I would pay 500 for the automatic chimera before I would consider 300 for the Bronzo, but again that's just my opinion.

darrylbster

Horology Curious
10/11/15
Ok, as promised.

Ive given the watch a thorough once over and added my notes to a PDF entitled 01-start here. The PDF is the actual Uboat Chimera B&B from their web site. The rest of the pictures are of the watch I received.

1) The start/stop button is completely different from the original, reference the PDF then my pictures, you'll see what I'm talking about. The original is a stud and the replica is a thumb turn. The funny thing is, when you go to the web site(http://www.uboatwatch.com/en/collezione/collezione.php?m=2), click collections and hover over Chimera, what appears to be the B&B appears as the back drop with the start/stop exactly the same as the replica. Maybe a late change prior to release? Not sure, but it prevents the crown release from swinging free.
2) The reset button is machined with a textured face in the original, the replica features a smooth finished button.
3) The original watch has something called a "key to remove crown", this is nowhere to be found on the replica; however, if you look at the web site as directed above you'll see the back drop appears exactly as the replica is fabricated.
4) The screws... I can't even explain it well, look at the images.
5) The stitching on the band is much darker on the original than the replica.
6) The colour of the watch is closer to a new penny copper, or maybe a lightly circulated/oxidized copper than the Bronze. The replica will also never show the age of the bronze so it's charm will never amplify with time.
7) After hitting start/stop twice, then the reset button, the top hand returns perfect and the bottom hand returns slightly to the left of centre, very light but left none the less.
8) I tried and failed to post a video of me shaking the watch. It's hard to hear over the movement of the band etc, but there is a faint rattle caused by the reset button.

All this aside, I still love the watch and am very happy with the product, it's turned a lot of heads in the past week.

Hope this is thorough enough, feel free to ask additional question if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vxgweakfld8cjq5/AACXeDWcgcm_YnU7CYoMsExQa?dl=0