• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comparing Gold content bracelets for 10K/14K

Pratt

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/4/13
It has brought to my attention for these bracelets that are named solid real gold 10K/14K , Gold filled / Gold plated etc.

I was sold by my supplier ststing that these are real Gold 10K/14K, but not stated if they are overlay or real solid gold.

This are my findings

Im using the spare links to do a check.

As comparison, for 10K/14K links , they outlook of the gold parts looks solid, nothing in between is visible on the sides.
There is a visible line ( that might deem that they are overlays.

Gen 14K

Comparing a GEN 14K link with a aftermarket real gold link. the "line" is present for both.
The "line" isnt present for 18K Gen link.

The testing begins.
1x REP/aftermarket 10K/14K spare link snapped

I took 1 gold part , and half it

Split it up again

Scrap some filings from the part

On testing stone with 10K tester solution , results : a lot of floating gold filings

On 14K solution : some visible floating gold filings

One more test, compare with 3 tester solutions, this time i sand the joints thoroughly, couldnt get a chip off gold piece dropping out.

Results: on 10K , alot of floating gold parts
on 14K , visible floating gold parts just small specks of it
on 18K , dissolve 100%

Conclusion : This Jubilee TT bracelet are real gold 10K-14K in mixture. Its closer to 10K. Unless i can cut and split and sand to see falling overlay parts; i will then deem this bracelet as a overlay. There could be many makers in these type of bracelets , and they might look the same. As long as the price is good for what it is , it doesnt really matter. You buy the seller and not the item.

I hope this write up helps .

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Excellent work, it's great to see when someone undertakes an investigation well and shares the results.

Thanks

Pratt

24/4/13
Thank u guys. I just want to confirm what I sell . :)

nurg12

Known Member
3/5/15
Is it common for center links on rolex jubilees to be hollow? I had always assumed they were solid

Pratt

24/4/13
I have not seen any solid ones before

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
This great to know. The strap on a old datejust had a replacement band like this from years ago. It was tested and turned out to be 14k

Pratt

24/4/13
This great to know. The strap on a old datejust had a replacement band like this from years ago. It was tested and turned out to be 14k
Yeah man.. they are pretty good .. I used almost on all vintage datejust . And it turns out pretty.. the endlinks is a must to swop to gens. . N they are inexpensive for 455 J 14k endlinks.