• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Change of Plan: Ordered GMT Master II Noob "v2" From Ryan

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Hi all,

I had initially placed an order with Ryan for a Sub-C v5. But Ryan got back to me to confirm that NF are indeed sold-out of the v5 and will not have them back in stock for another 1-2 weeks (I believe they may be slightly updating it, bu don't take my word for it)

Anyway, I have decided to hold off my purchase for the v5 (but still plan to re-order in the near future). Instead, I have chosen to go for the newly released Noob Factory "v2" (i suppose it's really more of a v4/5) all black 116710 (Ceramic GMT Master II). I really have to give Ryan credit though, his customer service has been impeccable considering the unfortunate circumstances. He has been extremely fast to respond to all of my e-mails and is going out of his way to get the GMT QC pics sent to me by Monday. Assuming that they are approved on the same day, the shipping of the watch should only be delayed a day later than the original Sub-C order would have been. He really is a fantastic TD and I absolutely plan to use him for many more future purchases.

I had initially planned to do a detailed write-up of the 116610LN, unfortunately I am not as familiar with the GMT II, however I still plan to do a write-up (as detailed as I can) and I will include plenty of pictures.

If there are any particular parts of the watch that you would like me to focus on, let me know in this thread and I'd be happy to take some closeups for you to examine.

Best,
Grape

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Good choice. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the new GMTIIC. Could you take pics of the bezel insert from different angles? I'm really curious to see how good it is compared to what they used to do with the platinum paint at the beginning.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Good choice. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the new GMTIIC. Could you take pics of the bezel insert from different angles? I'm really curious to see how good it is compared to what they used to do with the platinum paint at the beginning.

Will do, I'll try get a few shots of the bezel catching the sun. I noticed you were looking for that on another thread

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Cool. Thanks! Yes, I have one of the originals and back then they used platinum paint. I have no idea why they switched to white. Strange. Anyway, if this new version is indeed the cat's meow with superlume, AR cyclops, and an amazing insert, I might have to upgrade mine at some point. It is hard to compare these things in pics, though. [emoji53]

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Great choice with the GMT-II mate. It's one that I was looking at too but decided to go with the sub.

if you could, please take a side by side pic of the rep and the gen showing the incorrect handstack on the rep. I'm really curious as to how big of a tell it is and whether it's as noticeable as some make it out to be. This is one of the things that held me back from going for the GMT.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Great choice with the GMT-II mate. It's one that I was looking at too but decided to go with the sub.

if you could, please take a side by side pic of the rep and the gen showing the incorrect handstack on the rep. I'm really curious as to how big of a tell it is and whether it's as noticeable as some make it out to be. This is one of the things that held me back from going for the GMT.

Will you buy me a gen to compare it to? ;)

I'll try get a closeup of the handstack though, although I had thought they fixed this with the new version

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14

My mistake - the GMT hand should be above the hour hand, is that correct?

I'm no GMT expert so hadn't noticed this the first time around. I believe on the v2 the GMT hand is on the bottom, with the hour just above it. I will take a photo or two that show this for you.

Victorz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/14
Gmt should be above the hour hand, ichs has the hour hand above the gmt which to me is totally fine. Nobody will notice this in real world.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Gmt should be above the hour hand, ichs has the hour hand above the gmt which to me is totally fine. Nobody will notice this in real world.

Very true. I'm not too fussed about whether or not it manages to fool other people. I just love the design of the watch

But I suppose you could always say that you preferred the handstack on your old GMT (since I believe they use to have the GMT hand on the bottom) and so you had a watchsmith/AD/whoever modify the hands/movement for you

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Will you buy me a gen to compare it to? ;)

I'll try get a closeup of the handstack though, although I had thought they fixed this with the new version

Haha believe me if I can afford the gen I'll be more than happy to do the comparison myself mate :D Besides, the only gen that I'll get and is in the midst of saving for it is the YM.

I think I've read somewhere that it's not possible to change the handstack due to the way the movement is built. It is a tiny flaw compared to something like the insert or dial but still a flaw nonetheless. But if it's something that you could live with then it's all good. I'm just waiting to see a closeup of the handstack and decide whether I could live with it and make it my next rollie after the sub.

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
I think the 1-2 week margin may be a good estimate for the people wondering about the Bateman and Pepsi versions

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
QC Pics approved and the watch has been shipped! I look forward to putting up pics soon!

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing how she looks once you get the much anticipated package in the mail.

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Yeah I was quite happy with the QC shots (i'll post them once the watch arrives along with my own shots just so people can have a reference point). I'm no expert but the alignment seems to be very good, no issues with SEL fitments etc, the engravings look nice, the platinum paint is done nice and evenly, i'm really looking forward to receiving the watch. It had a reading of 306 on the time graph which I thought was very acceptable. I think Ryan really goes out of his way to make sure that the customer is not disappointed.

I had initially chosen the $25 (might have been $20 actually) EMS shipping but I couldn't resist and sent Ryan an extra $13 to upgrade to the fastest DHL option. Lets hope they deliver on weekends :D otherwise i'm looking at a Monday/Tuesday delivery I would say, I can live with that!

GrapeJam

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/14
Good news:

The DHL tracking estimated the watch to be delivered this friday which would be pretty spectacular. It was picked up and processed by DHL about an hour ago in Hong Kong, I'll be blown away if it arrives at my door in Boston by friday!