• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seagull TY2130M = ETA 2824-2

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
Whilst I'm sure many members will know this I am posting it to help those that don't. The 2824-2 movement in my rep Omega LMPO recently died and at the same time the latest Cousins magazine appeared on my email advertising the Seagull TY2130M as a direct replacement for £65 + vat. I wasn't 100% sure it would fit but decided to see anyway for the hell of it. So rather than send it off to my smith I decided to get hold of one to see if it would indeed fit with the dial and retaining ring and I can confirm that it is literally a straight swap. The movement keeps the best time of any of my reps now and the whole process of swapping took less than an hour and I added a gen handset at the same time.

Obviously, you need the right tools to do this and a modicum of experience, but if so, this may be an alternative for those who can't find a smith who will work on their watches, or who don't want to risk mailing their watches or being without them for a period of time.

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
Yep, agree, this is good info for people new to the hobby. And a movement swap is not all that hard to do at all if you have some patience and a steady hand.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Where did you buy said SG? UK I am thinking, Cousins? With "whilst" and "modicum". Cost? Just curious.

Thanks

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
On the Mighty Mississippi
The Seagull ST 2130 is a very good movement, comparable to the ETA 2824 in every way. There was a very good review/ comparison over on WatchUSeek, done by a watchsmith, comparing the ST2130, the ETA 2824 and another Chinese 2824 clone. He has a lot of photos and comparisons, and the conclusion was the ST2130 was a very good movement and was perfectly acceptable as a replacement for the ETA 2824 ( and this was on a gen forum, talking about using in gen watches)

The biggest problem has been finding the movement. It's not available anywhere that I can find here in the USA, I bought one about a year ago from and EBay seller in Portugal, but they quit listing them a while back. I contacted them, and they told me that Seagull had raised their prices, and they were no longer competitive with the other Chinese movements. Not sure if that's true, but it was their story!! I wish some of the watch parts houses here like Ofrei or Star Time carried them as they are a great replacement for the 2824 at about half the price of the ETA.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
Great info. Is there a 2836-2 equivalent for the Seagul?

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
I have one in my Gen Ingersoll and it's been one of my most accurate watches.... Question: are the seagull movements in reps actually seagull or is that like the miyota thing?