• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Going to New York next week

willyvideo

Horology Curious
15/5/13
Hey Everyone,

I am headed to New York next week and am looking to pick up a few new pieces, would love to know where I can pick up some quality watches and not the lowend stuff. I'm looking for some AP's, Rolex's (shouldn't be that hard to find), and maybe some omegas.

Thanks in advance.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
theres a reason why the crappy reps are called "canal st specials".

stick with the TDs

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
Check out the TD section. Otherwise I'd go to jewelry district for all the ADs.

ajmahi

Known Member
14/9/14
If you go by 5th Ave you can find a bunch of the authorized dealers for high end watches including Pateks, Vacheron Constantin, AP, etc.[emoji12]

If you meant reps, totally not worth your time and definitely not your money. In fact those are examples of what NOT to get lol. Go to canal st for the authentic Chinese food but not the reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
If you go to Canal st.
just have a good meal.
Reps there are not worth it.

Erock1

20/3/13
All been said, there's no place in NYC, Canal St or elsewhere that has quality reps. Both Asian hawkers on Canal and the roving Nigerian briefcase seller all have POS low end reps.

These days you can't even get good food on Canal. You have to go a bit South of Canal into Chinatown or a bit north into Little Italy.

at any rate, enjoy the Big Apple! There's tons to do, shopping of every level incl every gen AD, theater, museums, great food, clubs and more. It's a 24/7 city!

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
the shit you have to go through JUST to see the reps on canal st is not even worth it. you're going to be dealing with some sketchy looking people.

If you're looking for a rep, stay on this forum. If you want a gen, 5th ave is the place to be.....or even better, 47th st (diamond district)

freeboy

Renowned Member
10/2/15
OR
Enjoy the learning experience and get some gret deals, buyer be-ware!
Seriously I would go just for the fun of seeing, and remember when the watch is in front of you you can check, movement, the winder test... ie one crown turn to set time gives a hint of the bph...
28k is 45 minuts advanced per turn.. etc
No bitching about the colors
no I thought it was really blue comments
ETC

Seriously diamonds in the rough, and ROUGH is accurate. I would especially NOT take a roll of more than a few hundred and do business during daylight hours... treat it like it is, a shady B deal, not a trip to the local grocery store..
BUT
honestly I would go too, sounds like great bargain fun....
Please let us know the joys and sorrows so we poor non NY folk can get a small taste of the apple...
note one of my ancestors is named eve

( ok, in Gen Eve eats a fruit not an apple) but who is the joke on here?

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
I just got back from NYC a couple of days ago. I was in Chinatown and decided just for fun to see what they had to offer. I asked to see a GMT Batman. The guy walked across the street and went into a building. About a minute later he came out with the watch. He let me inspect it for a minute or so. It was definitely a horrible quality rep. It looked OK, but man did it feel cheap. The bezel clicks were terrible and the clasp was really bad. He was asking $250! haha!!!!! I probably could have gotten it for $80, but god knows what movement was inside, and it probably would have broke apart after a month of wear. Don't do it! It's an interesting place though. Have fun!

grb722

Horology Curious
18/1/15
Canal St is the King of the Shysters. If you look hard enough you can find a replica of just about anything but be prepared to do business in the back of these tiny little booths out of sight of the public. Do not buy a watch there, the second you walk away you're SOL if anything goes wrong. Stay with a TD here. The clothing and bags etc at least you can feel the quality and see if its worth it. There's nothing like seeing a band of guys walking around with huge bags over their shoulder, then suddenly they stop and with in seconds there is an outdoor bazaar on the sidewalk of every imaginable make of handbags you could want laying on the sidewalk only to disappear within seconds when a cop is seen.

Suncoast

29/6/12
We were just there a couple of weeks ago, as soon as we came out of the subway station we were approached by a couple of ladies wearing North Face parkas- fake no doubt!! Anyways my daughter wanted to pick up a Michael Kors watch. We were passed on to a couple other people and led a couple of blocks away until they showed us some pictures and asked which one she wanted, 2-3 minutes later a lady walked up with the watch. Then after some back and forth negotiations we walked away with a $25.00 Michael Kors watch, even the gen Kors watches seem like crap so she was happy with her purchase and the experience was like something out of a movie, North Face clad lookouts on street corners, little old ladies walking around with bags of fake Oakleys. It's all very organized and orchestrated part of the fun of going to New York. I'd never try and pick up a rep of the caliber that we deal with here though.

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
Literally take all the money you were willing to spend on reps there and spend it on the Hershey's store. Much better investment.

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Go and see for yourself, yes the quality will not be like we have here, but you do not have to buy anything.

The last time I was on Canal St. was back in the 80's. Got a Rolex, a Tag and a Mont Blanc. The Rolex has long since stopped, but the Tag and the MB still run! I think I paid no more than $30-40 for each of them. That was my first foray into repdom.

Go for the fun and experience, you may find something you can live with. I don't know what the market prices are these days, but I remember be able to haggle a bit back then, maybe $5-10 off. Even the watches we get today can arrive DOA or crap out soon after you get them, so as been said "buyer beware".

Good luck, enjoy your trip and let us know how you made out.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Dude, I know I'm going to get blown up for saying this. I'm a retired NYPD detective. Now almost three years now. They made it a crime to even BUY a rep. They do reverse stings where all you have to say is that you know that you are buying a fake. NYC sucks. Stay away from Canal street. Most of them are done now by Craigslist. Trusted dealers are the way to go.