• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Honpo 28A Almost Done and Even Closer to Gen...

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

Last summer I became the proud owner of a very RARE highly modded Honpo PAM028A.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/192262-*PCTeam*-The-Honpo-Ziggy-PAM028A

Here's a pic of how the watch looked when it arrived in July of last year.

This watch was relumed and serviced by legendary watchsmith, Ziggy. He gave the watch his magic touch with perfect semi-gloss tritium colored lume. A PVD Genuine crown from "the Turk" was added along with a Leo Datewheel and a SilverSurfer Cyclops added to a gen like clarity crystal. The watch was then sent off for a PVD coating from the same provider that Panerai used in the late 90s.

This watch along with a 203/A are on my all-time gen hit list, but let's be honest. I'll likely never spend north of $10K on a watch... I'd rather go to Tahiti;), so this Honpo was a great candidate. I forked over the cash after much internal struggle about buying a very expensive replica. I have since worn the watch about 100 times. I love it and it is no doubt my favorite, but as much as I loved the piece, all I could see were the flaws...

The watch had no tube and therefore could never be waterproofed

I am a big believer in Form AND Function... Something had to be done...

Let's sketch a gen spec tube (poorly):
377D55F6-21D4-4433-8814-68F15C42DA58-1478-000000E3CE41A978_zps9cd61c6a.jpg

-Sketch was sent of to Master NeckyZips for some machine work.
-I blackened the tube using the linseed oil method
-I enlarged the hole to 3.5mm
-JB weld epoxy in place
-And VIOLA... An expensive watch that is now expensive and waterproof....LOL
(Excuse the silicone grease)
C16E92C9-A1FC-455D-BF35-102ABB8D71BE-2521-0000021B89A15451_zps020ee055.jpg

The CG Pin Looks like 10 miles of bad road

I mean seriously... beautiful watch aside...what a freaking mess :picard: Also note that there are some circular impressions around the pin. someone must have used a circular metal object to seat the pin in the past :picard2:

While I could do nothing with the CG body without damaging the finish... The pin? No sweat! Here's how

1. tap out the pin from the back side with a small metal tool ( I use a small guage torx driver from a electronics kit, or you can use a $1000 staking set)

2. Chuck the pin in a drill press or dremel and spin it against a dremel cutting wheel.
Before

After

3. Now sand until you get a nice satin finish with increasing grits of sand paper 600, 800, 1000 etc..

4. Get that pin WHITE hot and then quench it in linseed oil. this will darken the metal to a permanent charcoal finish

5. Reseat the pin using an old hand pusher with a plastic/nylon tip and hammer the pin to the desired depth.

6. Enjoy...

The Seconds hand is NOT accurate

As good as the Honpo hands are... I mean nearly perfect, even the silver arrow hand is perfectly shaped and extremely sharp, the hour and minute hands are very good. But the sweep seconds hand falls about 1mm short, literally. The tip is missing about .5mm and is a dead giveaway.

I just happened to have a couple of extra gen sweep hands in my parts box. the only problem is the lume doesn't match. The gen hands I have are superlumed with a creamy C1/C3 mix. It wouldn't look right with the Ziggy tritium lume.

So I took a gen hand and had it relumed... crazy I know. But the results were perfect!

Check out that perfect sub dial with the ZERO printed in BLACK!!! This is one of the best gen like features of this dial. Most rep makers would never capture this detail.

Finally she's ready to go and I can quit sweating the details. I honestly don't think there's anything else I could do to this watch short of a gen dial.

Here's the gen... Looks familiar:)

My favorite watch keeps getting better.

I only have one more upgrade which I'll update later.... A custom made one of a kind "9040" rotor

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Wow ! Grim
This is a true lesson
Nice and clever the CG pin solution with the "home-made" PVD. This was a system widely used in the industry to get a black coating. Really brilliant
The result is impressive and it is no weird you like this watch

As I always comment this is actually the nicest part of our hobby. Unfortunately few people can get such a skills. I'm really jealous for that
I think you deserve a Tutorial award for this thread

Looking forward to the next steps

Congrats and keep the nice job

Thanks for taking the time to write this thread
ALE

Evora

I'm Pretty Popular
30/10/13
Simply amazing! Once again, you leave me with voiceless...

What's a pitty we dont have PAM's modders in EU... I love my DSN028, but I'm thinking to sell it due to the DSN well known issues, and no modder able to work on PAM's here around :(

logistic

1/12/14
What a work of art.deff a unique watch. The sentimental value of building such a great watch is worth as much as a gen.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Amazing attention to detail and results Grim, now I will never buy a 028 since it will never be as nice as yours! ;)

The CG pin tutorial part is something I have long been looking for, it goes straight to my tutorials list and I will definitely try it with my 360 "guinea pig", thanks for that :)

Simply amazing! Once again, you leave me with voiceless...

What's a pitty we dont have PAM's modders in EU... I love my DSN028, but I'm thinking to sell it due to the DSN well known issues, and no modder able to work on PAM's here around :(

Evora, you have great taste and good eye with PAMs details, you have sources for anodizing and PVD coating, you can build a watch on your own.
I think with some experience and some trial and error you could be a great modder, tbh I'm surprised you haven't done it already :)

D

d4m.test

Thanks for the kind comments gents... I never really thought of this as a tutorial, but I guess it could be!!! In that spirit, I had an extra Elias Pre-V buckle sitting in my parts box and I decided to try the PVD trick on a larger piece of stainless.

The difference here is that you need a much more intense heat source to get the buckle hot enough to take the darkened finish. For this I used a propane plumbers torch and I had to repeat the heat and quench process about 10 times, but in the end... Well judge for yourself versus a picture of the gen Brunitura PVD.

The Gen buckle

crapie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/8/14
If they made ladies as attentive to details as you, grim, I would have 29 wives

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Wow, thats nice! Project well worth it.
I'm not a huge Pam guy but it looks great!! I especially like the hobnail dial (of any Pam) and your new rotor!

Question but I think I know the answer: Most Power Reserve watches (Chopard GTXL) have a percentage gauge - up to 100% obviously, or some (Big Pilots) have the number of days. I have never seen one, like yours, which I assume to be the HOURS (10-40 hrs), is that correct?

Thanks and enjoy your new beauty!! :)

started

Supporter
Certified
11/3/13
Grim, the cg pin mod is amazing. I've seen pics of a few watches on here with their pins sunken by other modders and it was way below the depth of a gen. Great job

pukka

Known Member
8/1/15
Fantastic tutorial on the the PVD mod there Grim, I will be using that one for sure.

I definitely applaud your commitment and attention to detail

GPFModDep

Known Member
5/11/13
Another stunner - 28A is a real grail for me ...one of a kind A series Automatic PR :)
Enjoy and thanks for sharing
FGD

D

d4m.test

Another stunner - 28A is a real grail for me ...one of a kind A series Automatic PR :)
Enjoy and thanks for sharing
FGD

Honored to have you here S! Thanks for the complement.

D

d4m.test

Wow, thats nice! Project well worth it.
I'm not a huge Pam guy but it looks great!! I especially like the hobnail dial (of any Pam) and your new rotor!

Question but I think I know the answer: Most Power Reserve watches (Chopard GTXL) have a percentage gauge - up to 100% obviously, or some (Big Pilots) have the number of days. I have never seen one, like yours, which I assume to be the HOURS (10-40 hrs), is that correct?

Thanks and enjoy your new beauty!! :)

Hello! You are correct! This ETA 2892-A2 movement is fitted with a 9040 Soprod module which measures the hours reamaining on the main spring. As you can see the meter goes from 0-40.

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
My preferred modder! ;)

You are in another league Grim! Difficult to reach your modding quality

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Nice addition this buckle
Great !

I will include this thread in PAM 028 PAM GUIDE

ALE

D

d4m.test

My preferred modder! ;)

You are in another league Grim! Difficult to reach your modding quality

Thanks Bozz! Appreciated but undeserved! I am still learning.

Ale/Kilo

I will have to make a formal tutorial thread out of this "vintage PVD" coating. Maybe I am totally crazy, but I think it looks AMAZINGLY close to the vintage gen buckles. As an added bonus, it matches my 203/A coating nicely.

Today I received a beautiful PAV90 by Mario Paci (aka Brelli, the original maker of the PAV Straps). I immediately destroyed the buckle:

I had to make room for my new creation:

It even changes shades depending on the lighting and perfectly matches the coating on my 203/A (build thread pending)

Here's some gen examples

another look at mine... Seiously, am I crazy??? I think that looks almost spot on, besides the thickness of the engraving.

esco

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/08
Man -- I miss this watch more and more, excellent mods, the pin bothered me a bit when I had it as well, but never had the motivation or time to try to mod it because I too was scared of losing the finish. Felt the same way with the flaw on the tip of the seconds hand but didn't have a "spare" one lying around ;) ... you just fixed two of the biggest nitpicks and made this watch near flawless. I am very impressed with the linseed oil treatment, never tried it myself but the results you are showing are very admirable.

First right of refusal if it ever crosses your mind! But I'm sure it'll be on your wrist for a long while to come.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Grim, if the situations (and my budget) permit, you must make me one of your builds. :D