• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Some help/suggestions with A7750 movement? Calling PAM531 owners too

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Just got my 3rd PAM from Sead 2 days ago - the 531 and boy oh boy, does it look awesome! Just couldn't take my eyes off it!

BUUUUUUT... BIG BIG but

It's losing time pretty badly. In 2 days I've lost about 5 mins!! (is this even normal??) Its the KW V6F Q-series with a decorated A7750. Its my first rep with this movement as I generally tend to stay away from it due to some of the horror stories that I've heard about. I opted for the Seagull for my 359 and have a 028B with a Soprod. Both till now has not given me any issue but I love the look of the 531 so much that I just couldn't hold myself back and decided to give it a try.

Now I'm not ready to give up on this beauty yet so I'm gonna need some advice from you guys: What can I do to try and fix this (or is there even a solution to this)?

I've never opened a caseback to fiddle around with it due to the fear of my screwing up something big time and ruining a perfect watch. But I think I'll be willing to give it a go this time with some proper guidance or even better, if threes something I could do to fix this without the petrifying thought of opening up the caseback and run the risk of making the watch stop completely.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
And may I also add that the rotor is spinning crazily.. sort of feels like its vibrating and making it very loud..

Anyone?

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
There have been three great tutorials by Chris3007 posted recently about this issues.
Let me dig the links out.

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Thanks Kilo! Really appreciate that :)

I did some extra search and found something better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTJAZ6FUGk

A tutorial on how to adjust the time by crazy11. Think he's a member on here too. Pics do the job but a video with someone actually explaining it all just makes it that much easier and less scarier for a noob like me.

Now its just a matter of me trying to locate some of those watch oil to get rid of that noise. Its driving me pretty crazy!

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Update:

Realised something really odd. I adjusted the time, synced it with my comp and let it sit face up for 20 hours w/o a strap on it and only loss about a sec (was pretty damm happy bout it!).

BUT... When the watch is placed on its side, it loss about 5 mins in an hour?! What sorcery is this!? Did I stuff something up with my adjustment or the A7750 has to be always in a face up position?

could someone please explain?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
sounds like you might have a loose or broken jewel in there

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Update:

Realised something really odd. I adjusted the time, synced it with my comp and let it sit face up for 20 hours w/o a strap on it and only loss about a sec (was pretty damm happy bout it!).

BUT... When the watch is placed on its side, it loss about 5 mins in an hour?! What sorcery is this!? Did I stuff something up with my adjustment or the A7750 has to be always in a face up position?

could someone please explain?

I think you are quite amusing. I look forward to more of this type of thing.

have you ever heard the term "adjusted to five positions" or COSC, things like that? Mechanical movements will operate with slight variance depending on the position they are in. A watch on it's back may gain 10 sec a day but lose 10 sec if laying on its face. same applies for one side or another.

Personally, 5 minutes over two days for a 7750 is acceptable for a non serviced (or even serviced) movement. However, the MAJOR variance you experienced with it on it's side indicates something else (sorcery for sure) is going on. At this point, it would be wise to have someone with experienced eyes peek under the hood. The majority of issues are easily diagnosed and repaired in experienced hands. In my opinion, the only real challenge with A7750 is sorcery er sorcing replacement parts when the ETA parts are not interchangeable.

The balance assembly has ONE screw holding it onto the movement. Make sure the screw is not loose. Make sure you know what screw I'm talking about before you put screwdriver to movement.

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
I think you are quite amusing. I look forward to more of this type of thing.

have you ever heard the term "adjusted to five positions" or COSC, things like that? Mechanical movements will operate with slight variance depending on the position they are in. A watch on it's back may gain 10 sec a day but lose 10 sec if laying on its face. same applies for one side or another.

Personally, 5 minutes over two days for a 7750 is acceptable for a non serviced (or even serviced) movement. However, the MAJOR variance you experienced with it on it's side indicates something else (sorcery for sure) is going on. At this point, it would be wise to have someone with experienced eyes peek under the hood. The majority of issues are easily diagnosed and repaired in experienced hands. In my opinion, the only real challenge with A7750 is sorcery er sorcing replacement parts when the ETA parts are not interchangeable.

The balance assembly has ONE screw holding it onto the movement. Make sure the screw is not loose. Make sure you know what screw I'm talking about before you put screwdriver to movement.

Well tbh I'm don't know that much about movements and I certainly wouldnt go near to opening and operating on it. Which is why I was over the moon when my first attempt yield such great success. And then it all came crumbling down lol..

Now just let me read more on THAT screw you're talking about and hopefully the next update won't be something along the lines of how to get a micro screwdriver out from the balance wheel lol :D

All jokes aside, any pics, videos, tutorials, or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07

The screw he's talking about is the one above and to the left of the jewel. At about 11 o'clock position.

With losing 5 minutes an hour in one position you've got something seriously wrong that may need a professional look.

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
The screw he's talking about is the one above and to the left of the jewel. At about 11 o'clock position.

With losing 5 minutes an hour in one position you've got something seriously wrong that may need a professional look.

Thanks for the kind pics sir.

Update:

Ok so 12 hours has past and haven't lost a single sec yet with the watch sitting face up with the straps removed.

Does this mean that I've got to sit my watch up right every single time that Im not wearing it? Or, what's going to happen when it gets some wrist time for a whole day? I can't be walking around with my arms raised now can I?

Also, as to adjusting the lever on the balance, would it be possible to adjust it accordingly such that when the watch is rested with the CG side facing up, it won't lose that much time AND also not lose 5 minutes in an hour or so?

Thanks guys

D

d4m.test

Hi, form the symptoms You´re reporting the hands are catching on each other or one of the hands is touching the dial. This means the movement is fine, specially when You say it doesn´t loose any time when face up.

Maybe just try face down if it stays the same or stops altogether (try a glass maybe so You can look at it from below). Then try lying left side/ right side. Let it run out of power and check the position of all hands, try this twice to see if it happens at the same time (would be dial) or in a position where the front or back of the hands is on each other. The other possibility would be the screw holding the movement is loose and it moves around a bit thus stopping but that You would also notice when pulling the stem for setting the time (tiny movement of the dial). Good luck

What I def. would not do now is touching the adjustment screws - it´s something else.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Or, maybe the top jewel is broken and there's no pressure on it while sitting upright. Only pressure on it while upside down and maybe lesser degree sitting on the side.

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Well after 2 days of wrist time and leaving the watch face up at night, the watch is keeping pretty good time. Bout -1 mins so far.

Guess im just gonna have to leave it face up when I'm not wearing it and live with that. Kinda disappointed with the a7750 as my a2824 and seagull haven't been giving me this problem at all. Note to self: stay away from the a7750 if possible.