• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob adventures with Explorer 2 (bezel and keyless works)

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
As a noob I thought it might be useful to other noobs if I posted a record of a couple of the necessary jobs I have just completed. I am hoping it will help people take the leap to tangle with their reps and give some a sense of what DIY the 'rep thing' can demand.

Both jobs refer to my Noob v2 Explorer II 216570 with 2836-2 GMT adapted asian ETA clone. An absolutely fantastic rep and watch. I have also acquired over the past 5 months a superlume Ex 2 Polar 16570, a noob v3 SubC LN and a noob v2 Smurf - all 4 from 3 different TDs with equally good service and reliability (for those still nervous of ordering) - and all 4 are fantastic reps using the asian 2836-2 clone ( I have a gen GMT Master 2 16710 (pre 2003) to compare general feel) although the polar would benefit from a better dial and crystal to give it that gen clarity.

First a little history of my 216570 to give some flavour of what reps can throw up.

Shortly after receiving it I noticed that the watch was not auto winding and was loosing significant time. Advice from the generous guys on this forum, and a search of guides, lead me to order oils and oilers, crack open the case, remove the autowind module, lube it and while in there tweak the regulating screw. This was the first time I had seen the inside of a watch with the view to tamper - I followed guidelines to the letter. The result, a perfect fairly quiet self-winding movement with -2 secs per 24 hours (OK, some luck involved there I think). By the way, while I was at it I greased the gasket and crown and outer tube (without removing the stem) and gave the bracelet a baby oil bath as I have done with all 4 reps.

Second problem: the clasp was crap and kept coming away from the bracelet and it finally rejected the locking component which was then lost. I ordered one from some non-TD for about $35 US.

While waiting for the clasp, I noticed the paint coming away in one of the bezel numerals. This got worse over the next couple of days and spread to other markers - I had a thought that it was the cold weather but was advised on the forum that that was unlikely. I looked for a guide to repaint the numerals and once satisfied I had all the info required I proceeded as outlined below.

I had a good level of success with the bezel as you will see below. This may have made me a bit complacent because after that job, when removing the stem to grease the crown for waterproofing, I messed up the keyless works - that lead to job number two.

1. REPAINTING BEZEL

This approach was based upon the guide at: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=192015

Here is the kit I used

Here is the bezel with initial paint flaking

Once I was ready to start, and having received advice not to try removing the bezel for this job due to the risk of damaging it I proceeded to remove all the remaining paint. The guide suggested bathing the bezel in enamel thinners but as I was leaving the bezel on the watch I resorted to picking the paint off. In fact, I discovered that this was very easy - rubbing the paint with a tooth pick/cocktail stick soon caused it to lift, often as a film and in a single piece per numeral (that of corse explains the flaking problem - the cleaning and application process in the factory was clearly dodgy).

Here is the cleaned bezel which I wiped with rubbing alcohol to get paint-ready

I protected the crystal with masking tape and then used a very fine brush and, being in UK, Humbrol Matt Black (equivalent of Testor's Flat Black) enamel paint to fill in all the markers with a very thin amount of paint

After 6-12 hours (the paint is ready for a further coat after 6 hours and needs 48 hours to cure completely) I removed the excess paint leaving only that in the engraved recesses by rubbing the bezel, marker by marker, on a nail varnish dampened micro-fibre cloth wrapped around a foam nail file to give it a flat form and an edge for the crystal to fall over

Once all the excess was gone I reapplied paint and repeated the process. I repeated 5 times (i.e. five layers of paint) to fill the markers to a more gen like look than the original noob factory look

And very happy with the result

The clasp arrived and did not have darkened engravings so I applied the same process (only 2 layers) using a cotton bud to remove the excess

2. KEYLESS WORKS

In my excitement I carelessly removed the stem to grease the crown and tube more thoroughly than before and screwed up the keyless works.

So, judging that the cost to get this fixed v the cost of a new 2836-2 meant I would probably be buying a new movement I took the plunge and opened up the case, removed the hands and, using this guide http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=144733, removed the date wheel (surprisingly easy in fact). Then, using this guide: [PART 1] http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4295 [AND PART 2] http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4315 , I dismantled and rebuilt the KW. The manipulation of tiny parts took a bit of getting used to (you can expect screws to shoot out of your tweezers from time to time) and I would not do this without a couple of proper pairs of tweezers, watch smiths screw drivers, a magnifying device of some kind and a clear table/floor. The beauty of this exercise is that once completed you understand exactly how the keyless works works.

Anyway, after a tense afternoon, all working and back together

Needless to say I now have a taste for this and look forward to widening my experience, especially with the movement.

I hope this was vaguely interesting or useful to some.

I apologise for the crappy iPhone nature of my photos but that is all I have.

Ciocc60

Known Member
24/3/13
Thanks for the info

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I read your post with a great deal of interest as I am new to this Rep stuff and am anxiously awaiting my first purchase, a PAM512 from Pure Time now encounter from China. I'm sure I could do the bezel painting stuff but to open up the movement is a whole different thing. I guess that if I could replace screens on my iPhone 4s and 5s like I've done several times I I could stomach opening a $300 watch. Thanks for allowing us to see your process and your resources

[/FONT]

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Excellent work, getting into solving some problems on a watch and ending up improving it is my favourite part of this hobby. Keyless works on a 2836 is pretty daunting the first time but certainly gives a real sense of achievement when all those parts are back in and the job is successfully done. The bezel now looks stunning too, you should be proud of that watch.

Alex

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Skipwillaims, I too trained on the iPhone 5s and think it is not such a big jump although you do have to be more exacting and will need the magnifying kit. I used a very budget 10x illuminated loupe and a similarly budgeted head magnifier to which I hot glued two very cheap LED torches pointing towards the focal point.

janstood

Known Member
17/9/14
By the way, I should add for the eagle eyed that my sequence of keyless works pics is a bit misleading. The macro of the keyless works is prior to fixing. You can see that the clutch return lever is NOT seated in the groove of the clutch wheel as it should be.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Great job on everything. I just repainted my bezel numbers. This is my fourth expii and the first one that has had this problem with the numbers flaking off. My guess is that the metal was not cleaned and degreased properly. Before they painted it. I could be wrong but who knows. But you are right. Don't take or try to take the bezel off to do this because it is impossible to find a replacement and definitely don't use thinners because they can damage the crystal gadget. Just use a tooth pick and the paint comes right off. If you cleaned the surface really good after removing the factory paint the new paint should be very durable. I practiced on one number first just to see. By scratching it with a toothpick very hard after I repainted it and that paint is solid as a rock. So surface prep is very important. Great job on yours

amedman

27/7/06
Love to see this. I wish more people would just dig in and fix issue themselves. It isn't as hard as it looks and nothing is more fun then to bring a broken watch back to life and make it the best it can be.

Buddha Jones

Known Member
14/1/12
PERFECT! Just what I was looking for. I just noticed some flaking on the 12 on my Noob Polar Explorer, I will make time to get this mod done ASAP!

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
Still love going back and reading this.

Erik.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk