• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caught out a friend passing a rep of as gen

roadhog99

Known Member
1/7/10
Thought I'd share an incident that happened the other day.

I was catching up with an old friend I haven't seen for ages. We were talking watches, and got to compare each others.

I had my gen SMP on, and he had his "gen" planet Ocean chrono (which he apparently had bought used).

Trouble is, I immediately clocked it was a rep (and not a good one). The poor pearl and quartz movement were instant giveaways.

It made me feel pretty awkward though. Firstly, if he knew it was a rep, why did he lie? I don't care either way (and would probably just have pointed him here to get a decent one LOL)!

BUT, if he really thinks its gen, he's been royally stitched up, and not sure I want to be the one to burst his bubble!!

Anyone else had a similar experience??

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
A mate of mine tried to call me out because his "gen" sub had rehaut engravings and mine didn't lol. I said "if that's gen, I'm the prince of Wales". If no one else is around I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out the "odd" features just in case he's actually been scammed.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
It's funny how everyone's an expert but they often forget there are many different versions of the same watch.

ashtree

18/12/12
Spotting Omega reps are easy though. For a start, no planet ocean models are quartz.

Randzzz

16/9/10
I agree with those who would never, ever call out a friend in public. But even in private, unless the friend is asking for serious consultation regarding whether or not it's gen-v-rep, I'd just let it go.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
jeez. if he bought a omega chrono with a quartz movement thinking it was a gen, he either has more money than sense or is not that bright.
i would hope he hasnt been scammed bc that would just be sad.

at least you pointed him in the right direction for goo reps.

the PO chronos are actually pretty well repped minus the wrong pusher positions

Ezio

Renowned Member
21/1/14
Tell him to make sure he aint Got scammed just when its you to

if he knew show him rwi and he's World will never be the same

if you need a ICE breaker show him your reps

roadhog99

Known Member
1/7/10
Spotting Omega reps are easy though. For a start, no planet ocean models are quartz.

Yep exactly. It was a dead giveaway! It's def a tricky situation tho he ain't stupid so I think he may well know it's a rep. But if so why lie about it? I'm not judging him!

Manwellsp

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
19/6/14
It's also his fault. If you want to convince people you have a gen object ( whatever it is) you have to at least know something about it. I would never buy a Rolex/omega/ecc rep with a quartz movement. It really means you bought it to show off and not for passion, and you failed.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
A noobie earlier today asked in the CB which one is the better Sub, A TC or a BKLM. I said both are great in their own way. He said thanks, he will get the BKLM because the TC does not look too gen because it lacks the rehaut engraving. And to think he was in this forum !!!!! He was here for a good 6 months ! What do they do anyway, flip a toothpick all day ??

afdaddy

Renowned Member
13/12/13
There are Omega SMP models that are quartz, so I wouldn't be 100% sure there aren't any older model POs that are too...