• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 Roll Call

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Who here loves the 1680? Prove it by posting your pics. I'll start...

Wristy...

On the beach...

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Nice, I used to have one but coincidentally today I am wearing a SeaDweller that i bought from you ;-)

IMG_20140304_065654.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
I'll join. I'm loving mine. She has been taking a short vacation in my watchbox while I give her GMTIIc sister a few weeks to stretch her legs, but she'll be back on my wrist soon. I like to do longer rotations of a week to a few weeks, for no real reason.

Puretime red 1680 with gen vintage crown.

~Rolex~

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/2/14
I don't own a 1680. Anyone interested in selling theirs?

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
PJ, I always love looking at yours. It's such a nice looking piece. I never asked you - is that the standard Puretime bezel assembly and insert or did you change any of it? Is yours loose at all?

I'm still thinking of trying to put in another Clark T19 like yours and just do the work myself. I'll have to PM you when I get around to doing that. :)

southernsurfer

31/5/13
This piece was my Grail ~
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg

Currently being serviced and having a New Clark bezel assembly installed

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
PJ, I always love looking at yours. It's such a nice looking piece. I never asked you - is that the standard Puretime bezel assembly and insert or did you change any of it? Is yours loose at all?

I'm still thinking of trying to put in another Clark T19 like yours and just do the work myself. I'll have to PM you when I get around to doing that. :)

High praise from a man of your collecting calibre Menny ;-)

The bezel assembly is all original. IMO the stock PT insert is very good and the pearl patina matches the hands nicely.

All I did was remove the original plexi, clean up the crystal glue residue and push on a Sternkreuz T-19 (from Cousins UK). The existing retainer and bezel assembly clicked over the top well enough, but I had to tighten the bezel rotation with a smidgen of dental floss for good measure. I don't spin it too often for fear of it flying off at an inopportune moment and forget about WR!

How's the time keeping with yours matey? The gen crown is a necessary mod with the PT 1680, but otherwise I still think it's a great vintage rep. My only gripe is the slightly small date window and I'd really love a cream DW rather than the silver one that comes with it. I think the T-19 suits the 1680 what do you reckon?

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Here's mine I got from Trevor. Aftermarket vintage look bezel from the bay sanded down so it's recessed. Gen crystal. A little aging. Dial markers were too yellow for me so I had Cwazy relume them to a milky white. I like it much better.

I have a gen crown & tube I need to have installed and a silver datewheel. Just need to be ok living without her for a bit.
me5eqytu.jpg

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
TW best model.one of the first reps I got but not worn a lot and it's still like new
2eqyjyte.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Explor_er

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/07
MBW Gen. Insert - Gen Crown and Tube - Gen Crystal - Whoopy Dial
Still need a better DWO and a nice light creamy lume.
cc5de065-c72d-45bd-a1c8-1f57aca64686_zps5652857e.jpg

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
I ll play. MBK with RA treatment. Having the hands redone atm by RA. Just sligthly more patina on the hands than the dial and little aging.
20131209_0809101_zpsb0052997.jpg

20131129_103814_zps961907b8.jpg

20131127_135445_zpsbdae9acd.jpg

20131127_135436_zpse1ac8239.jpg

sishac

Known Member
5/2/07
Here is my gen with an early service dial.....LOVE it!!!
4a9ahyme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
High praise from a man of your collecting calibre Menny ;-)

The bezel assembly is all original. IMO the stock PT insert is very good and the pearl patina matches the hands nicely.

All I did was remove the original plexi, clean up the crystal glue residue and push on a Sternkreuz T-19 (from Cousins UK). The existing retainer and bezel assembly clicked over the top well enough, but I had to tighten the bezel rotation with a smidgen of dental floss for good measure. I don't spin it too often for fear of it flying off at an inopportune moment and forget about WR!

How's the time keeping with yours matey? The gen crown is a necessary mod with the PT 1680, but otherwise I still think it's a great vintage rep. My only gripe is the slightly small date window and I'd really love a cream DW rather than the silver one that comes with it. I think the T-19 suits the 1680 what do you reckon?

Thanks for the great compliments! You flatter me while showing off your stunning piece. :) I think I need to have my movement cleaned because it has been consistently running slow. Is yours running OK? I had MD2020 regulate it for me and install the gen crown. After he worked on it the timekeeping was stellar for a while (I think he had it to within a second or two a day on the plus side) but now it is running slowly. He had suggested that I hand wind from a dead stop to build up some power reserve before wearing it for the first time, but even when I do that I notice it is still on the slow side. He did say that my 2846 was going to be in need of a cleaning soon, so I guess he was right. He had also tried installing the Clark T19 for me but it cracked right away. All of this took place before he wigged out on everyone over at RWG.

I fully agree with the T19 for this watch. It's a fantastic look and according to a thread over on Rolex Forums, the T19 and T39 were offered to gen owners upon request. They could pick from the standard top hat, the dome or a super dome. I'm pretty amazed at how inexpensive those Sternkreuz crystals are, by the way. Not that Clarks are expensive, but they are definitely a good 4 times the price. I'm thinking about picking up a couple for this watch and then another one in a different size for the big crown that I plan to start working on soon.

I also like my insert and I totally agree with you about the vintage pearl it comes with. It's great for the watch.