• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to tell insert is a gen?

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I'm contemplating getting a TC submariner, and have been looking around the RolexForums to try to find a reasonably priced gen 16610 insert. I was curious what the tells are for determining if an insert is gen? For example, is this insert a gen, and what distinguishes it from a Clark or Watchmaterial insert?

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
Yes, this is a genuine Rolex insert........the pearl is the biggest tell imo. There are several other tells like the numbers as well. The one pictured above is a gen imo.

You cant go wrong buying a TC sub, you will love it!

A WM insert is a nice insert but the pearl is smaller than a gen. The numbers on a WM insert look more gen like than on a Clark insert..........

Muaitai

6/5/12
I agree, the pearl is one of the biggest flaws ever on a Rolex rep and this one looks very gen to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Akira

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/12/10
To quote Robert
"If you don't see it, why do you care?"

Partly, that is correct.
Why bother, if you can't tell the difference?

I'm all for accuracy, I build Frankens myself - but only because some tells bother me more than others.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
My friends dad owns a jewelry store & has sold used Rolex watches in the past & has had some with an aftermarket insert from what he's told me. Its up to the individual.

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
That looks like a nice one, you can tell by the reflection on the pearl it is gen, and also the shape of the pearl. :)

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
Not to rain on the parade but a modded WM pearl can look almost just like a gen pearl, it's very hard to tell in pics. the pearl is not a definite way to tell gen from rep. To me the font is also very hard to tell from the WSO inserts.

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Not to rain on the parade but a modded WM pearl can look almost just like a gen pearl, it's very hard to tell in pics. the pearl is not a definite way to tell gen from rep. To me the font is also very hard to tell from the WSO inserts.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/.../?action=view&current=RickiPhonePics018-1.jpg

+1

That looks excellent, I haven't seen a modded pearl in real life but from the photos I have seen on here they look like the real thing.

I wonder if we will be able to spot a gen from a rep insert when TC finishes his new bezel insert, if his past stuff is anything to go buy I suspect we will have a hard time telling it apart from the real thing.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
To quote Robert
"If you don't see it, why do you care?"

Partly, that is correct.
Why bother, if you can't tell the difference?

I'm all for accuracy, I build Frankens myself - but only because some tells bother me more than others.

Yes, but if you're paying top dollar for a gen insert, then it's worth learning more about it, no? Honestly, I got into replicas (and the rep forums) when I was trying to buy a gen Tissot Le Locle, and learnt that there were extremely good replicas that were being sold as gen watches on eBay.

SecretAgentMan

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/12
WM inserts are great but I've had 2 of them side by side with a gen & the gen pearl looks bigger, just a fact. Can't wait to see TC's insert when its all said & done.