• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a .22 rifle

dingleberry

19/11/09
Howdy gun nuts.
Currently looking for a .22 rifle. I want a lever action repeater and the Browning BL-22 and the Henry H001 have caught my eye.

Any thoughts on these models?

:popcorn:

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
You still hunting armadillos, Dingle? Quite a delicacy I understand.:MousePanic:

houndoggie

16/11/08
I have a browning level action .22. Nice little rifle. Had it since I was a kid.

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Never heard anything bad about either one. I have sold a few of each (when I worked in a shop) and never saw one come back for repair or anything else.

Considering the cost, I would probably just go with the Henry. You will get just as many years of use out of it, and at a serious price difference (unless you can get a Browning cheap).

I personally just like using my .22 conversion in one of my AR's for plinking, but I am a semi kind of guy.

Howdy gun nuts.
Currently looking for a .22 rifle. I want a lever action repeater and the Browning BL-22 and the Henry H001 have caught my eye.

Any thoughts on these models?

:popcorn:

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
The BL-22 is a bit high-priced (for my taste) and the Henry is good, but not great. This is reflected in its price as well.
My personal favorite in this style is the Marlin 39A. It's priced around the same as the BL-22. and is one of the finest-shooting rimfire leverguns I have ever owned. I know you didn't mention it, but I had to throw it out there for consideration!

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Pics of a 39A that I have:

4a8d6a30-c898-d50b.jpg

4a8d6a30-c8aa-f01e.jpg

Back on my iPhone using Tapatalk

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
The BL-22 is a bit high-priced (for my taste) and the Henry is good, but not great. This is reflected in its price as well.
My personal favorite in this style is the Marlin 39A. It's priced around the same as the BL-22. and is one of the finest-shooting rimfire leverguns I have ever owned. I know you didn't mention it, but I had to throw it out there for consideration!

Damn, totally forgot about the Marlin.

:whistle:

That's an awesome little rimfire right there.

:thumbsup:

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I have the BL22 and it's fine, but not great. The trigger is about 10lbs and gritty. I will admit it is very accurate even with bulk pack ammo. You can pour Coca-Cola on a sheet of white paper and hit flies at 25 yards with the scope on it.

Why not just jump up to the Ruger 10/22 and skip the lever guns? The Rugers can be tricked out any way you like them and an entry level model is inexpensive. (Can you tell I like to tinker with stuff?)

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Lever action? Coommmmmmmmooooonnnnnnmmmmaaaaaaann! ;)

Ruger 10/22

Awesomly priced semi auto for loads of plinking goodness.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
The 10/22 certainly has it's merits but some people like the timelessness of the lever guns.
I guess you guys would rather have a much more technically advanced digital watch instead of a vintage Pam or Rolex, right? ;)

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
The 10/22 certainly has it's merits but some people like the timelessness of the lever guns.
I guess you guys would rather have a much more technically advanced digital watch instead of a vintage Pam or Rolex, right? ;)

I am going to politely disagree with my buddy from the Bluegrass state. My BL22 doesn't suck or anything, but my opinion about it is "meh". It just feels like a childs gun. I'm 6"3" and it's difficult to shoot.

On the other hand, a 10/22 can be made to fit a man with the ocean of aftermarket parts out there. Since .22LR ammo is almost free, I also like to be able to spray it liberally downrange.

So Anopsis, if the vintage watches you referred to above were only available in 36mm cases, would you still want them? :)

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
So Anopsis, if the vintage watches you referred to above were only available in 36mm cases, would you still want them? :)

Touche` my friend. :)

I have not shouldered a Browning, so I can't comment on it's size. The Marlin 39A I have is dimensionally very similar to my Marlin 336C chambered in .30-30, and I can shoot it quite comfortably.
I have semiauto .22s as well (not a 10/22 though) and I have friends who have both. They each have their place, and the 10/22 can certainly be modded to whatever state you'd like - there is no end to the combinations and aftermarket parts.
However, since the OP specified a couple of leverguns, I ASSuMEd he wants that style specifically.

Besides, for all we know, he's a shrimp and your baby Browning will fit him fine. ;)

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
However, since the OP specified a couple of leverguns, I ASSuMEd he wants that style specifically.

I doesn't really matter what he wants. It's far more important that he get what I want him to have! :whistle:

In an attempt to actually be helpful, here is a mini-review on my BL22:

Very reliable and accurate. It shoots and feeds any of the bulk-pack ammo out there. Disassembly is not as easy as a Glock or as terrible as a Ruger MKIII, just in the middle. Mine has an excellent blue finish and reasonably good engraving. The stock feels more like plastic than wood. The scope mount looks like a POS but actually is stable. The rifle is very small (about the same size as a Daisy BB gun). If it wasn't for the heavy trigger, it would be a great rifle to teach a young person beginning gun safety. Overall rating for adult use: Okay, I guess.

Besides, for all we know, he's a shrimp and your baby Browning will fit him fine. ;)

As you well know, people in Kentucky tend to be big and very good looking. It's just hard to imagine anything else. :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I like this one...

[AME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE888XOS12U[/AME]

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Really, all he needs is something that will eat up bulk pack from Wally World without any hint of indigestion. I need to get out in a couple of weeks and burn up some .22 through one of my AR's. I have something like 15k rounds of bulk pack that hasn't been touched in a while.....

jfazioli

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/9/10
I've got a Henry, and I love that damn thing. Its about 8 years old and never had to be serviced beyond a good strip and scrub. I find I like my .17 more, but the hmr ammo is really expensive.

ssb045

Renowned Member
26/12/10
Check out the action on Puma's (Rossi I believe) Smooth as Henry if not better, but I love the Henry. Regrettably sold my Golden Boy.

Saddle guns feel great to carry, and are nostalgic fun. I had a 10/22 that I loved, but a whole different animal.

stiff muckler

Known Member
26/8/10
value

Henry - more bang for da buck
Browning - less bang for da buck
Winchester - no
Rossi - hell no
Marlin - nail driver from hell (and it don't remind stiff at all of da Marlin 45-70 which felt slopply even when new)

why not a .17 ? Do you live in da town? Da .17 makes small stuff disappear!

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
That's an odd assessment of the Marlin, since they have solid receivers. I have never seen one that felt loose. Winchesters, on the other hand...