• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New found respect for watchmakers!!!

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
Well i had some spare time this morning and i've had a cheap canal street breitling sitting in a box for about 10 years so i said to myself "Hmmm let me try to open this thing up and try to play around with the movement" :facepalm:.... big big mistake.LOL..

keep in mind i dont have the proper tools to do this kind of work yet, and absolutely no experience.(i couldnt remove the stem so i just cracked it off) :thud:

anyways i was never gonna wear this watch again so i guess my curiosity was a good enough reason to give some of you guys a good laugh, so this is what im left with.

mv1.jpg

mv2.jpg

This stuff is harder then it looks...PLEASE dont try this at home..lol...:lolcina:

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
hahaha.... one of these days... I'm going to learn how to fix an easy one like a 6497.

atespo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/11/06
USA
hahaha.... one of these days... I'm going to learn how to fix an easy one like a 6497.

I tried taking a mini-fiddy apart last year because there were smudges on the inside of the crystal. It took me 15 minutes to get the crown/stem out, another 10 to figure out how to get the movement out and then could not for the life of me get the stem back in correctly. So I kept screwing with it for about 30 minutes, and ended up messing up the 'key' or something. I don't know. I'll leave it up to the smiths.

I would love to know the correct way to take apart a manual wind panerai. I just want to know how to swap a movement, but that involves taking the hands and dial off, which I see way too much potential failure.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
How much for that little part on the top right corner with the scratch mark on the metal ....:rofl:

I know better than to try this. I know my field very well, and this surely isn't it. You could give me a year and I wouldn't figure out WTF you've got there ! :)

joegrimm

I'm Pretty Popular
27/10/10
How much for that little part on the top right corner with the scratch mark on the metal ....:rofl:! :)

i think you have to be a bit more specific, cause they ALL have scratches on them.:biglaugh:. At one point after trying to remove the stem for about 20 minutes with no success, i took out the good old Phillips screwdriver!!!!! you know, the ones you can hang a chandelier with....

Joe...you are da' MAN. :)
Thanks tim, and don't worry i didn't try tinkering with your watch...:lol:

elmataplata

29/12/10
Been there, done that. But I noticed it was 3AM and had a test the next morning so i went to sleep and forgot how to put it back together.

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Take it you never took pics after each part removal ?:D

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
Mate!!! You're just the bloke I've been searching high and low for all my watch repairs. Are you taking orders at the moment? I have a genuine Breitling Skyland Avenger that requires major servicing and need someone with the obvious skill and gentle touch that you possess. I feel comfortable and can be assured that my watch will be in safe hands with someone who has only the finest watchmaking tools at hand, such as a chandelier hanging sized phillips screwdriver.

Hang on.........my watch is working fine now. Never mind. :D: