• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SS 316L vs. 316F vs. 904L- The final VERDICT- A technical study

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
No. It was documented by a metal analysis test by a member here (I'm no longer sure whether it was a TD or not) with photos that the specified values were correct. ZZF is known as the only son of a bitch company that lied to people about the Submariner and sold the ZZF V2 as the 904L.
Buying the 904L from a TD is the 904L.

But I tell you: the difference between Gen and 316L is barely visible :)

It’s a relief to hear that higher end factories like CF and VSF are using 904

CF is renamed ZZF. so it's still entirely possible they're pulling the same trick still.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
CF is renamed ZZF. so it's still entirely possible they're pulling the same trick still.

Everything is possible indeed.
I used to swear to myself never buying anything from those fuckers again, but seems that they really improved their work and i have to go for clean;)

rich513

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/8/22
San Rafael
Awesome post, although I'd be curious to learn the state of things today (904L is currently advertised by many TDs) because of when it was written. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Sumo86

Watchfan2022

Horology Curious
7/10/22
Good stuff. I too am an engineer but have never heard of 316F. We buy 316 which is often dual rated 316L, but never 316F.

OmegaSpeedy

Horology Curious
5/12/22
USA
Nowadays, many Rolex reps are really made with SS 904. Maybe it is not as good as the Rolex SS but it is very correct

And the other reps are mainly made with a 316 F but the prices are the same as other SS

ALE
Would it be worth updating the first post to reflect current findings on SS 904?

SS 904L
There are not at all replicas made with SS 904L
either. All dealers know that, it is economically impossible making a replica with 904L. Therefore, the dealer who indicates SS 904L on his catalogue, be sure, he is lying to us and we cannot trust him absolutely.

I read this as any dealer that advertises 904 is not to be trusted.

Reactions: fatboy637

seikoshill

Horology Curious
2/12/19
Would it be worth updating the first post to reflect current findings on SS 904?

I read this as any dealer that advertises 904 is not to be trusted.
It took me a second to realize that this was information from over 10years ago.
I feel like today a lot of factories have the means to match original manufacturing material and attempt to match machining quality.

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
This is a great post and very timely. I've provided a link below explaining why Rolex went to the 904L type of stainless as it is more robust against marking and corrosion. If you have seen pics of early model submariners, you might see some pitting on the case and case backs. This would indicate a heavier exposure to saltwater type environments thus some pitting may occur. The additional Nickel and Cr in 904L helps to offset this occasional occurrence. Do today's reps actually use 904L SS? You'd have to have a case or band tested to find out.
https://davidsw.com/blog/what-it-is-904l-steel-and-why-does-rolex-swear-by-it/

Last edited:

OmegaSpeedy

Horology Curious
5/12/22
USA
This is a great post and very timely. I've provided a link below explaining why Rolex went to the 904L type of stainless as it is more robust against marking and corrosion. If you have seen pics of early model submariners, you might see some pitting on the case and case backs. This would indicate a heavier exposure to saltwater type environments thus some pitting may occur. The additional Nickel and Cr in 904L helps to offset this occasional occurrence. Do today's reps actually use 904L SS? You'd have to have a case or band tested to find out.
https://davidsw.com/blog/what-it-is-904l-steel-and-why-does-rolex-swear-by-it/
do you work for davidsw?

MontreDeLune

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/8/21
France
Interesting thread, thanks a lot.

So basically, when a dealer says his reps are 904L, that’s not true I think ?

When I received my CF Rolex, there were stickers on the bracelet saying 904L.

Tommy_Sky

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
7/10/22
Interesting thread, thanks a lot.

So basically, when a dealer says his reps are 904L, that’s not true I think ?

When I received my CF Rolex, there were stickers on the bracelet saying 904L.
This post is more than 10 years old. Thing might have changed since then.

Reactions: MontreDeLune

GMG1968

Banned
14/11/22
Uk
...there is no way I can tell the difference between the materials; weight,finish and quality I can see but identifying differences between 904 and 316 ...nope...I'm the wrong side of 50 mind so my eyes aint what they were!!!

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
...there is no way I can tell the difference between the materials; weight,finish and quality I can see but identifying differences between 904 and 316 ...nope...I'm the wrong side of 50 mind so my eyes aint what they were!!!
You literally have to test the material to determine the alloy. In today's world of reps, I don't doubt the Chinese could be or are using 904L alloy. 904 is roughly 1.3X the cost of 316 and could explain part of the cost increase in watches today. Keep in mind this 904 may vary from actual purity requirements and not be as pure as Rlx demands. Just my thoughts from business mfg. experience with China in past years.

GMG1968

Banned
14/11/22
Uk
Tbh I don't really care which steel it is other than I don't want to be paying overs for something I don't get!

Reactions: Daytona22