• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New QF 116519LN (real?) meteorite dial Daytona

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
My GLed QC , may not be perfect but some modding will do the job.

ae6a88fd75617e504d02d0cce0fac6c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What modding

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
What modding
It seems that on this watch the dial is also slightly off-center. Pushed a bit towards the 160 on the bezel. But the photo is low res, and I'm not sure. 3 and 9 hour markers also seem a bit rotated - an all too common problem on even the best rep Daytonas. What is for sure nice is that on Lee's QC photo we can see that the pattern is not faint at all on these dials when the light hits them correctly.

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
It seems that on this watch the dial is also slightly off-center. Pushed a bit towards the 160 on the bezel. But the photo is low res, and I'm not sure. 3 and 9 hour markers also seem a bit rotated - an all too common problem on even the best rep Daytonas. What is for sure nice is that on Lee's QC photo we can see that the pattern is not faint at all on these dials when the light hits them correctly.

Exactly. Easy for a modder to fix these errors.

Meanwhile Yogibear looking for his next thing to moan about:

zLyWsb.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: TESLA760

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Help me out, what am I supposed to be looking at here?

Okay I took an example from oascom to show the texture. Real meteorite dial has a rough texture to it, look and feel. Does that look the same to you? Oascom actually did a fantastic job with the etch so gotta give him credit.

That pattern doesn't exist on meteorites. Someone got carried away at QF.

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
What modding

More of frankening . Will check once in hand if dial centered or not and may adjust markers .

Gen Crystal
Gen Gasket
Gen WG hands
Gen Crown
Gen Oysterflex (Maybe)
WG plating (Maybe)

If i am not happy with meteorite dial after all i have a gen silver 509/519 that will be installed.

Reactions: SHB

Time_and_again

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/4/22
More of frankening . Will check once in hand if dial centered or not and may adjust markers .

Gen Crystal
Gen Gasket
Gen WG hands
Gen Crown
Gen Oysterflex (Maybe)
WG plating (Maybe)

If i am not happy with meteorite dial after all i have a gen silver 509/519 that will be installed.

wow. This will be an epic build.

can’t wait to see final result

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
now they are listed on puretime as well :) what are you thinking of the dial having some more detail pics ?

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Indeed. There seems to be a lot of variability between what we’re seeing in terms of pattern and contrast in these dials. Does the look of the dial match what you saw in QC?

It does yeah - I'm going to flip it as its not for me as will wear my stainless more but very nice watch. Got it out of curiosity more than anything

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Appreciate the quick posting. Now I'm slightly worried with my order coming. Expected more vibrancy, does the video just not capture it or does it look better in person?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Better pics on my sales post - it’s good but seems the other QC on this thread was better so seems a consistency thing

Ricardo1999

Horology Curious
4/11/21
Yes it is real my brother buy the same watch and it was exactly like the pictures . Amazing meteorite dial

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
Patron
25/2/21

Going to leave this here as it might be relevant? This is a genstein with a real meteorite dial. The guy also gives some tips on how to differentiate between real meteorite and imitations made from other metals (around 46s in)

iskillio

12/9/14

Going to leave this here as it might be relevant? This is a genstein with a real meteorite dial. The guy also gives some tips on how to differentiate between real meteorite and imitations made from other metals (around 46s in)
Cool video, agree with most of what he said except there are many varieties of meteorite and all have a distinct look. The one Rolex uses is from "The Gibeon" meteorite which has a high iron content. Makes sense that they use iron when trying to replicate it.

Tbh there is a huge variation in dials with Rolex gen as well which makes sense since the slab of meteorite is going to look different throughout. I've seen a few videos of get that look less contrasted and more white, very subtle.

Video below is an example.
https://youtu.be/AQlKbCBEgbI

Last edited:

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Dismissing it helps no one. The CG is shaped wrong. If you don't like this photo then google more.

Unless the local postman delivering your watch decides to put Nitric acid on the dial and refinish the subdials it's going to look the same.

My intent was to help you and save you money and others here on this money grab watch but you dismissed it and replied with stupid memes. Scottymagic .

Reactions: QueTip

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Seems the dials are VERY inconsistent - have a good relationship with Hont and asked him to find me a 'good one'. Forget the alignment issues etc, I can fix those but this looks 10x better than before in my opinion.

z5CQaS.jpg

z5ClpQ.jpg

z5CtVW.jpg

z5CrkP.jpg

z5CpGL.jpg

z5CPAR.jpg

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Seems the dials are VERY inconsistent - have a good relationship with Hont and asked him to find me a 'good one'. Forget the alignment issues etc, I can fix those but this looks 10x better than before in my opinion.

z5CQaS.jpg

z5ClpQ.jpg

z5CtVW.jpg

z5CrkP.jpg

z5CpGL.jpg

z5CPAR.jpg

The pattern is much more pronounced but it does worry me that the shades of the pattern dont vary by angle if you get what i mean. On proper meteorite dials, from certain angles the grey bits look white and vice versa. Its a good attempt but im not sure its $1000 good.

iskillio

12/9/14
The pattern is much more pronounced but it does worry me that the shades of the pattern dont vary by angle if you get what i mean. On proper meteorite dials, from certain angles the grey bits look white and vice versa. Its a good attempt but im not sure its $1000 good.
Disagree with that statement. It's close enough being that meteorite varies in Gen and in any real meteorite jewelry. It's a mineral from space woth lots of variability depending on processing.

I think its a nice switch up and for another 150-200$ it's a good value, aftermarket dials cost more and look worse in "meteorite" and gen would be an absurd cost.

Last edited: