• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The A2836 Movement

lacquered333

Known Member
26/6/22
Hey Guys,
I'm noob and confused.
So here the questions:
Whenever one refers to an asian 2836, is it mostly a Seagull or a Hangzhou movement? Is Hangzhou 6311 still in the game? Does BPF or GMF use Hangzhou or Seagull for their "Asian ETA 2836 clone"? And is it true that the Seagull ST2100 is discontinued and replaced with the ST2146?

Thanks in advance

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Probably a mix of both. I believe more Hangzhou.

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
If you buy a watch with a clone eta, there are modder that can swap out the clone for gen eta movement.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
You know good vendors for those movements with good out of box performance?
They're Chinese manufactured movements. There's never really any guarantee of quality/performance. With any Chinese watch/movement you pay your money and take your chances. You might get a good one that'll go for years without issues. You might get a duffer that needs a service. More often than not though, they'll be fine. And replacing them doesn't cost a fortune, so it's never really that much of an issue.

As kavorca1 said, if you really want the best, then it's a straight swap to replace the Chinese movement with a Swiss ETA.

lacquered333

Known Member
26/6/22
They're Chinese manufactured movements. There's never really any guarantee of quality/performance. With any Chinese watch/movement you pay your money and take your chances. You might get a good one that'll go for years without issues. You might get a duffer that needs a service. More often than not though, they'll be fine. And replacing them doesn't cost a fortune, so it's never really that much of an issue.

As kavorca1 said, if you really want the best, then it's a straight swap to replace the Chinese movement with a Swiss ETA.

I'm basically looking for a suitable movement for my modding project / build from scratch. Kinda a day date homage. Want to keep costs rather down and step up to more sophisticated movements when I*m more experienced. Nevertheless reliability should be ok out of box, a movement that is not oiled or shit like this i really want to avoid. So, what's about the Miyota 8205? Price is around 60-70 bucks, it has the <26mm diameter so suitable for a 36mm case build and got a day and date wheel, so probably could be work with a day wheel mod. I would assume Citizen/Miyota has good quality control + the compatbility with ETA is really not a must have, if it comes with the risk one have to take when purchasing a chinese movement. Again: Miyota is in the same price range...

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So, what's about the Miyota 8205?
Depends on the pinion dimensions and heights I guess, plus stem length. If you're starting a homage from scratch you may find suitable hands for the Miyota that will fit, whereas ETA hands may not. And you might need an ETA length stem. Clearance for DWO elements may be an issue. The dial feet might need to be clipped and replaced or dial dots used. And so on...

I don't have the memory capacity to hold on to facts about each movement option, but I'm sure someone will chip in with some further advice.

But suffice to say that when deciding to deviate from a standard ETA movement, a certain amount of additional complication will come along with it!

lacquered333

Known Member
26/6/22
Depends on the pinion dimensions and heights I guess, plus stem length. If you're starting a homage from scratch you may find suitable hands for the Miyota that will fit, whereas ETA hands may not. And you might need an ETA length stem. Clearance for DWO elements may be an issue. The dial feet might need to be clipped and replaced or dial dots used. And so on...

I don't have the memory capacity to hold on to facts about each movement option, but I'm sure someone will chip in with some further advice.

But suffice to say that when deciding to deviate from a standard ETA movement, a certain amount of additional complication will come along with it!

Yeah, I see. True, there are probably no 8205 dials with a day window cut out at 12, so I would have to mod an ETA related dial. This extra hustle doesn't pay off the risk I take when going for a chinese movement. Ok, thank you a lot for the input, it helped me a lot.

Reactions: p0pperini