• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Extra Special Bronze

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
Hello everyone. I have my heart set on an Extra Special Bronze for my birthday later this year, but I'm finding them pretty hard to come by at the moment. All the sellers I usually buy from tell me they can't get them any more, or what I actually see is the rose gold plated stainless steel version for the price I used to see the bronze version at. Now I don't mind the plated version if it comes to it, but not for $250-300. Last year I used to see them for a lot less than that.

I'm sure some of you must have experience with this watch, as it seems to be one of the most popular Zeniths. Have the factories stopped making this rep? Do you know anyone still selling it? And how good is the plated version compared to bronze? Any comments, or points to be aware of, you might have to help me in my search would be much appreciated.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I just bought one have it with me 24hrs but I still did not wear it. As for 1st impressions I can say that it is indeed a nice replica and from what I know they should be available by the factory/dealers.

84893141e9815c6fcbc1fe60953b66fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
Ah, beautiful. The more I see, the more sure I am. I'll certainly keep looking and asking around. That's a proper bronze one, yes? What kind of price range was that?

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Yes, bronze + titanium (bezel ring/caseback).

I cannot disclose the price, I have too much respect for my dealer.

Details sent by PM.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
I'm going in.... Lucy Truetime is going to set me up with a bronze Type 20. After everything I've seen and read about this watch, I'm very much looking forward to it.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
Looking good! How are you enjoying it so far dadog? I've gone for the original full bronze Extra Special. To my mind it's already on its way to becoming a modern classic. A truly iconic piece.

teioh3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/2/16
Does it only come in 45mm or in 40mm too? Worried that 45mm is too big...

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
I might be wrong here, but I think Zenith recently released some 40mm variations of this. With different coloured dials. Whether or not there are reps of them, I don't know. But, for me, this kind of watch suits a bigger size. Though I'm glad they didn't get too carried away. 45mm is enough. I'm still waiting for mine, but I've worn watches of all sizes in the past, so it doesn't worry me.

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Looking good! How are you enjoying it so far dadog? I've gone for the original full bronze Extra Special. To my mind it's already on its way to becoming a modern classic. A truly iconic piece.

I love the watch. The blue dial compliments both the bronze and titanium details of the case. For sure the watch is a keeper and it will get the deserved wrist time in the watch rotation.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
I might be wrong here, but I think Zenith recently released some 40mm variations of this. With different coloured dials. Whether or not there are reps of them, I don't know. But, for me, this kind of watch suits a bigger size. Though I'm glad they didn't get too carried away. 45mm is enough. I'm still waiting for mine, but I've worn watches of all sizes in the past, so it doesn't worry me.

I've been thinking of adding a bronze watch and keep coming back to the Zenith...have you received yours? Would love to hear your thoughts on it in hand. Cheers

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
I've been thinking of adding a bronze watch and keep coming back to the Zenith...have you received yours? Would love to hear your thoughts on it in hand. Cheers

Sorry for taking forever to respond - I've only just logged in for the first time in months and seen the notification. I did indeed receive my Zenith, and very much enjoy it. I've been wearing it (on and off) since mid October, and while the bronze has darkened slightly overall, it's yet to develop any extreme patina. That will no doubt come in time, and be part of the fun. The lume on mine is vivid but short-lived, but that's not something I ever really look for in a watch anyway. I really should post a picture or two at some point, but in the meantime if you have any more questions I'll try and check in a bit more regularly.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
Let me also add that I brought from Lucy (Truetime) and she was a pleasure to work with - helpful throughout. And for anyone worried about the size of this watch, it really doesn't feel as big as it is (to me at least, but as I've said in the past I wear a wide range of case sizes). It's not particularly heavy, so all in all is very comfortable.

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Sorry for taking forever to respond - I've only just logged in for the first time in months and seen the notification. I did indeed receive my Zenith, and very much enjoy it. I've been wearing it (on and off) since mid October, and while the bronze has darkened slightly overall, it's yet to develop any extreme patina. That will no doubt come in time, and be part of the fun. The lume on mine is vivid but short-lived, but that's not something I ever really look for in a watch anyway. I really should post a picture or two at some point, but in the meantime if you have any more questions I'll try and check in a bit more regularly.

It does not develop any extreme patina on its own..

ACILPER

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/18
Brilliant watch and probably the best rep that I've come across - TD told me that they had used a gen one to do the rep.
DSC_0001 by ACILPER, on Flickr

Reactions: JM79