No announcement yet.

Current Testing Week: 11 January /21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It works considerably ok when doing regular browsing. But when it gets to some interactions like PMs, posts etc - it gets very slow. Especially during 18:00 - 24:00 GMT. I suppose the DB is the weak spot, as considering the number of posts here, it is many many gigabytes in size, and any issues with indexing, memory caches, or just a slow hardware make lots of slowdowns. Would be nice to put everything on a dedicated hardware with a pack of RAID SSD drives (not big but many of them, like 8, and utilizing a hardware raid card with a backup battery and large onboard cache), should give incredible IO power that usually causes all the DB troubles.
    YourWatch.io

Comment

Thanks for the work you guys do. Just found this thread. I thought it was only me getting poor performance. Tapa is useless for me atm.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oascom View Post

If i scroll thru thread slowly (thread with lots of pics) I'm ok but if I move a bit faster it gives me this error.

Never had this before but I have new phone so this might be the issue (note 20 ultra)
        i used to have exactly this problem on my old iPad mini 1st edition, this and the fact that apple stopped doing upgrades for that IOS I got a new latest one and the issue on rwi stopped

Comment

Tuesday changes have been performed. I hope everyone sees improvements.
          THE FORUM IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!

Guanaco on 4chan... "It's like putting a few puppies and a few butterflies with some rose petals into a blender and pushing the 'puree' button while videotaping it"

Comment

Thanks guys for the offer of help and insight, but we are already two IT tech guys on that, and we have a decent understanding on why stuff are slow, trust me, it's not a simple problem at all. There's no easy out of the box solution we haven't already tried.

Originally posted by cool1o View Post
            So as you can see the test for Desktop is not good, but not horrible either but the Mobile one is awful.
            I don't know if that is the reasoning why Tapatalk has such issues - but as far as I've researched Tapatalk is using the vBulletin API so normally that shouldn't do a issue but I can't know for sure of course.
            PageSpeed results need to be looked at in details, not just the number. If you look at the details, you'll see that everything reducing painting speed of the page, are caused by third party provider : Google Ads, Google CDN etc...

Page speed also pretend that some JS & CSS ressources are useless and should be removed, but those are vitals and are loaded as fast as any css file on any webserver : it's just text.

So always take PageSpeed results with a grain of salt and look at live performance. As I said in another topic : this version of Vb is badly optimized and outdated, it handle permission badly increasing loading time the more permission you have, log out and try the site in guest and you'll see how fast it is.

Originally posted by cool1o View Post
            1. Have you tried installing LiteSpeed for your servers? It is a really powerful extension which increases loadtimes by a whole lot.
            I googled and found that it also works with vBulletin but don't quote me on that since the post on LiteSpeed was from 2011

2. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the webserver - what about your database?
            I'd guess that the database is huge and could be a bottleneck if not powerful enough.

3. If it isn't the database and you can't or don't want to use LiteSpeed what about a CDN? That could possibly speed things up
            1. We are using memcache which is optimized for Vbulletin, Litespeed is mainly oriented at object caching, which on a forum, is not very useful, we would add another layer of optimization needed when the problem is elsewhere, we could test it in the future to further improve speed but currently it won't solve our issue.

2. Database is huge but is sitting on a more than powerful server, part of the test we did was to triple the hardware of the database server, it did not make a single difference in speed, so we know it's not a bottle neck here

3. We already have a CDN, our issue here is not related to static content.

Currently we know that the main and biggest issue is the version of Vbulletin we are running, until we can safely update (as you can imagine, it's not a simple click on the update button), we are testing parameters on the whole server to handle traffic surge better.
            We also have a I/O problem sometime that we have difficulty to isolate as it's not constant or predictable and leave almost no trail behind.

Originally posted by YourWatch View Post
            It works considerably ok when doing regular browsing. But when it gets to some interactions like PMs, posts etc - it gets very slow. Especially during 18:00 - 24:00 GMT. I suppose the DB is the weak spot, as considering the number of posts here, it is many many gigabytes in size, and any issues with indexing, memory caches, or just a slow hardware make lots of slowdowns. Would be nice to put everything on a dedicated hardware with a pack of RAID SSD drives (not big but many of them, like 8, and utilizing a hardware raid card with a backup battery and large onboard cache), should give incredible IO power that usually causes all the DB troubles.
            DB is completely fine and even have some spare RAM to play with, it's several gigabyte in size but playing directly with the DB is not slow at all. Hardware currently is very powerfull we are running dedicated hardware for years now, SSD, multicore CPU, considerable amount of RAM.

To be clear : there's no hardware bottleneck here, we explored that some time ago, and going more powerful did not make a single difference in speed.

The weak link is Vbulletin, not as a software in general, but this current version.

And for the mention about Tapatalk, this is out of our control, I have the error log from Tapatalk, and there's a lot of them, but they are related to the queries they make on the database and that's their business to sort out

Comment

Glaude Thanks for the detailed info! Performance is back to normal since a few minutes ago.

Hope you guys can look into the ignore function at some point, might of course be an issue with VBulletin itself as well.
              Last edited by YellowFin; 12-01-21, 16:05.

Comment

5.52pm here in the UK definite improvement in speed over recent weeks, not lightning fast but definitely better

Comment

I had the same issues as other users faced. Very slow page loading and sometimes error out completely. But today it is much better and works best on Microsoft Edge at least to me.

Comment

Originally posted by yash7789 View Post
                    Microsoft Edge
                    Unpopular opinion but Microsoft Edge is a more than decent web browser, way better than the recent releases of Safari for example

Comment

Any reason why the sales section would disappear for me?

Comment

Originally posted by bazinga View Post
                        Because you have more than one account, as your title shows...

Comment

as mentioned all is pretty decent in terms of loading right now (at least as compared to previous days), only when you post something it takes minutes.

this from my powerful desktop computer, on my iPad Air 2 it's painfully slow (chrome)
                          I'm in love with the shape of Roo // Sucker for 3-6-9 dials

Comment

I also feel like the speed on Tapatalk is remarkebly slow. Would be interessting if it will be faster once the changes are done.

Comment

Originally posted by bazinga View Post
                              Have you been a naughty boy and put on the no sales list?

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire63 View Post

Have you been a naughty boy and put on the no sales list?
                                Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by yash7789; 13-01-21, 17:17.

Comment

Working...
                                X