New Addition to The Sales Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Addition to The Sales Rules

Apparently buying a Datejust, Air King or the like, stripping out the gen MVT and putting in a Chinese clone is now a thing. Now to me the whole idea of that is an affront to our hobby. The entire idea of building a Franken is too see how close to gen you get not to take a perfectly good gen and reduce its provenance. TBH the only reason I can see for doing this is to make money by selling the gen MVT for close to what was paid for the watch. If you wanna do that and keep the watch fair enough I suppose, you end up with a very cheap almost gen Rolex but a lot of these tend to be catch and release like a couple of recent examples. That's just profiteering and not in the spirit of this hobby.

The other issue is these things often come with a full box set including papers so you have a gen watch (minus the most important part, the movement), a gen box and gen original papers. It doesn't take a genius to work out what happens to a lot of these, they end up being sold on as a real gen watch to some unsuspecting sucker and that is not at all cool, that is bad, mmmkay? That is not what this forum is about in the slightest, we fight this kind of immorality on a daily basis so to help prevent it there is a new rule in place:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY WE WILL NO LONGER ALLOW SALES OF GENUINE BOXES AND MATCHING SERIAL PAPERS WITH FRANKEN OR REPLICA WATCHES TO PREVENT THE LIKELIHOOD OF REPLICA WATCHES BEING SOLD AS GENUINE ON OTHER PLATFORMS.

Not only that but all sales of "gen except for movement" watches will be looked at very closely. If the sales staff think it is likely to be a strip, swap and flip it is more than likely not going to be approved. TBH this shit should go without saying but apparently it doesn't so a rule was deemed necessary. Thank you for your attention.

People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
    hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
    When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens

Thank you for specifying this rule. This kind of shameless profiteering is disgusting among us.

Some kind of profiteering was also starting to become quite blatant among some members, and people have been denouncing it recently as well, i'm glad that things are now getting sorted out.

Thanks for your hard work.
    "What's the biggest tell in a rep?"

"You!"

Comment

Thanks for posting, shocking abuse of gen watches!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Comment

Thanks for the update and the hard work you guys do keeping this place safe!

Comment

Thank you for that !

Comment

Brilliant - keep the forum for enthusiasts ???? - a bit sad that a rule like this is needed though

Sent from my iPad using RWI

Comment

I am proud to be a member!

Comment

I hate seeing inflated price due to gen spring bars or screws.
                https://secure-ds.serving-sys.com/Bu...tch/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rosser View Post
                  Thanks for posting, shocking abuse of gen watches!
                  Quite. If I buy a Ferrari with a blown motor and drop an LS7 into it that's one thing but buying an intact and running one, swapping engines and selling both engine and re-engined car because I make more money that way well that would be sacrilege. Same thing applies here. Of course it would be 10 times worse if I then try to sell the Ferrari as the real deal to some sucker who knows no better.

People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
                  ************************************************** *************
                  hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
                  When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens

Comment

Originally posted by efajri View Post
                    I hate seeing inflated price due to gen spring bars or screws.
                    Why? They're not free and are an upgrade. Otherwise, you wouldn't have people do it...
                    SD43 Comparison - ARF v3 vs Noob v10

SD43 - Franken Build

Comment

trailboss99 , Sir, Not trying to be a dick, just trying to be clear. Is it ok to build off all gen parts minus the movement or not? Folks like pompompurin and BabaNJ have been building sweet retro build from cobbled together Gen parts (I have one from pompompurin and babanj). Would these still be kosher? They never seem overpriced (well below gen) and always list their costs / price breakdown. Just trying to better understand what would be OK vs not. example, I have a 16014 case set and gen dial, crown, crystal..etc and use an ETA 2824 movement. Is that still an OK thing to sell as a franken project?

Once again, not trying to be a dick or anything, just want to be clear.

I am a relative newbie here and really love and want to avoid any future ooopsies.

Comment

Buying a gen watch and removing the movement is beyond me... why would anyone do that?! (I knoeee: for the $$$).

Comment

Originally posted by RDRoss View Post
                          trailboss99 , Sir, Not trying to be a dick, just trying to be clear. Is it ok to build off all gen parts minus the movement or not? Folks like pompompurin and BabaNJ have been building sweet retro build from cobbled together Gen parts (I have one from pompompurin and babanj). Would these still be kosher? They never seem overpriced (well below gen) and always list their costs / price breakdown. Just trying to better understand what would be OK vs not. example, I have a 16014 case set and gen dial, crown, crystal..etc and use an ETA 2824 movement. Is that still an OK thing to sell as a franken project?

I am a relative newbie here and really love and want to avoid any future ooopsies.
                          The problem is the obvious intent of profiteering, and also actively downgrading a perfect gen to a franken in order to profiteer from it, which is quite filthy
                          "What's the biggest tell in a rep?"

"You!"

Comment

Originally posted by RDRoss View Post

Sales will as usual be reviewed on a case by case basis.

What BabaNJ and pompompurin do is certainly in keeping with the spirit of the hobby..

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
                            There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
                            ? Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

The collection
                            https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...e-january-2019

Originally posted by Parabuteo;n5110721
                            Mods are GREAT at working out things, going to bat for us, and have some tools at their disposal to sanction scammers but they can't ultimately protect us from everything, including losing $ if we are not cautious. The main takeaway is this: we RWI members are participating knowingly in the "wild west" here (which actually thrills me) so...caveat emptor and never spend more than you can afford to lose.

"Rep on Bros" WingNut

Comment

Originally posted by C Master View Post

Sales will as usual be reviewed on a case by case basis.

What BabaNJ and pompompurin do is certainly in keeping with the spirit of the hobby..
                              I would buy gen watch put together with gen parts!
                              Last edited by DaleM; 16-03-20, 12:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X