Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The COVID-19 Thread (formally The Situation in China).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Taoiseach's (Prime Minister) address on St. Patrick's Day. A public address like this is not common here.

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
    There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
    ? Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

The collection
    https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...e-january-2019

Originally posted by Parabuteo;n5110721
    Mods are GREAT at working out things, going to bat for us, and have some tools at their disposal to sanction scammers but they can't ultimately protect us from everything, including losing $ if we are not cautious. The main takeaway is this: we RWI members are participating knowingly in the "wild west" here (which actually thrills me) so...caveat emptor and never spend more than you can afford to lose.

"Rep on Bros" WingNut

Comment

Originally posted by Sonofalich View Post

Interesting, I wonder if their courier is back online, their recent news post (a few weeks ago, to be fair) said that the courier they normally use for reps is closed.
      Let us know if they do ship it etc, be interesting to know! Thanks
      I got my tracking number today.
      I'm correct at least twice daily...

Comment

Originally posted by John1 View Post

I got my tracking number today.
        Nice, that is interesting, I wonder how long it will take to arrive, if the courier are accepted orders for revenue reasons and then not dispatching, time will tell, please keep us updated! Thanks
        SD43 Comparison - ARF v3 vs Noob v10

SD43 - Franken Build

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss99 View Post
          I know one thing for sure, the arse fell out of BTC
          So this is an annoyance I've noticed with the community before and that is that when paying with BTC you are entirely at the whim of the BTC/fiat exchange rate. I am sure many on this forum and elsewhere have experienced the annoyance of waiting several days for your USD transfer to a cryptocurrency exchange to go through only to realize after a week of waiting that the BTC price has now changed and you no longer have enough money at current USD/BTC price rates to buy whatever it is you wanted to purchase.

One alternative to BTC is to use stablecoins. For those not following cryptocurrencies, stablecoins are ERC20 tokens (imagine a cryptocurrency that rides on top of / you can launch on top of the Ethereum blockchain) tied to the price of USD. The advantage of these stablecoins are that they are not going to have the swings relative to fiat that BTC ETH, etc usually have.

There are three notable ones I'd say (but I'm US centric)

USDC is run by Coinbase, and all of the USDC issued by coinbase is theoretically collateralized by dollars held by coinbase.
          GUSD is issued by Gemini and is the same thing but run by the Winklevoss twins.

The third is called DAI, and DAI is ordinarily would be what I'd proselytize for but actually right now it is a bad example because the Maker foundation that manages the coin is in the middle of a liquidity/collateral crisis (woops lol). DAI is much more interesting - it's an attempt to make a decentralized stablecoin by allowing anybody to post collateral in ETH. They then use price oracles to "over-collaterize" that ETH relative to its price in USD. Except - the price of Ethereum has fallen so steeply so quickly that even the 150% overcollaterilization they attempted to do is no longer enough to collateralize the currency, so they're in the middle of their first crisis. Lol.

It'd be nice if TDs started accepting these stablecoins - exchange support is pretty good at this point, so it's not any harder or different to transfer from DAI to fiat than it is to go from BTC to fiat, and it literally makes everyone's lives easier and less tumultuous trying to do trade and not being at the whim of the exchange rate.

Next time on rabl rants: why BTC, ETH, and all stablecoins are inferior to ZCash and why that's what we should actually be using
          Gen: G Shocks GW9400 (Red, Yellow), GW5000 (Black), GW6900 (Black w Combi), DW5600MW-7 (White), GLX5600A-2 (Blue), Seiko Spring Drive MarineMaster SBDB009, Timex IronMan, Daniel Wellington

Rep: Tudor Sub 7928

WTB: YG Gen & Rep Rolex Day-Date with Champagne dial with baton indices, Something skeletonized Rep or Gen, Rep Omega Seamaster Diver 300m, Gen Marathon General Purpose Quartz WW194015BK

Comment

Or you could just use transfer wise, get real time spot fx rates and have the TD acknowledge payment in minutes.

Comment

rabl253

You are comparing apples and oranges, I understand that they're both digital currencies. But you're talking about centralised vs decentralised systems, people invest in BTC due to having no base or centralised system... the anonymity of the currency is its biggest selling point, dark web etc.

The currencies you speak of remove that level of protection, that's why they're not popular.

BTC despite it's flaws (transaction speed and the capped transactions per day, due to speed) it remains popular solely for its decentralised role.

That's why Libra coin (FB) was doomed to fail from day 1 and if it ever does get its feet off the ground again (major backers and investors and payment processors pulled out) it'll be a huge failure in light of Cambridge Analytica etc... do you really want FB having your financial data? And your social data? The two are basically your entire identity.

That is why BTC will remain popular, despite its MASSIVE fluctuations.
              Last edited by Sonofalich; 19-03-20, 19:37.
              SD43 Comparison - ARF v3 vs Noob v10

SD43 - Franken Build

Comment

Travel BANS.....
                • UKRAINE, POLAND, PERU, MAURITIUS, HONDURAS & ITALY: These countries have suspended all international travel and closed their boarders.
                • INDIA: No commercial international flights starting from 22 Mar effective from 0001 GMT,
                • COLUMBIA: Travel ban starting from 23 Mar
                Damn.....
                Last edited by WATCH HACKER; 19-03-20, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by rabl253 View Post
                  So this is an annoyance I've noticed with the community before and that is that when paying with BTC you are entirely at the whim of the BTC/fiat exchange rate.
                  BTC was designed as an exchange medium not as a currency per se. The idea was see something you want, put the price into BTC and buy it. At the other end the seller collected his payment and immediately took it out of BTC and back into a stable currency. Of course people started to speculate with it.

I don't leave a cent in BTC I can't afford to lose. Last time it peaked I turned 4 grand into 27 grand so I can't complain that the 6 k I had in BTC two weeks ago is now 3 k. It will come back.

People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
                  ************************************************** *************
                  hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
                  When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens

Comment

Inbound travel bans for AU for all foreign/non residents. Australians have been warned not to travel OS at all. QANTAS and Virgin has suspended all OS flights. Brisbane airport expects to have over 100 heavies parked up on the yet to open second runway by early next week. An indication of how unwell the aviation sector is right now is the fact they are allowing them to be parked for free. Last time I had a light twin parked overnight at BNE it was $250.

The island state of Tasmania has effectively self isolated, anyone traveling from mainland Australia with the exception of military and emergency services personnel must isolate for 14 days.

hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
                    When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Comment

I just received my first QC mail from our FatPanda friend after weeks and weeks of following the news.
                      A bit surprised I much say, didn't excepted anything for the coming weeks. But seems that things are rolling again.

Comment

Originally posted by Reto View Post
                        It’s seems to be slowing down in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Sure, post this to get your count up
                        The time is gone, the song is over,
                        Thought I'd something more to say

Comment

Originally posted by Tribefan View Post
                          Or you could just use transfer wise, get real time spot fx rates and have the TD acknowledge payment in minutes.
                          Convenience at the cost of exposing your (private, potentially criminal in some jurisdictions?) activities to this random Deleware corporation. I've never heard of them before, but maybe they're nicer than Paypal and will not rando-ban people like Paypal does. Paypal really sucks. Fun fact, did you know Transferwise is not legally allowed to operate in the state of Nevada? https://transferwise.com/us/state-licenses wonder what that's about lmao

Originally posted by Sonofalich View Post
                          rabl253

You are comparing apples and oranges, I understand that they're both digital currencies. But you're talking about centralised vs decentralised systems, people invest in BTC due to having no base or centralised system... the anonymity of the currency is its biggest selling point, dark web etc.
                          This statement is massively wrong in multiple ways. BTC decentralization is questionable... Anonymity is non-existent. You are NOT anonymous when using BTC. I literally cannot stress this enough. If privacy is what you want, use ZCash. If you want a "decentralized" stablecoin, use DAI. Bitcoin is not anonymous. Bitcoin is not anonymous. His name was Robert Paulson. Bitcoin is not anonymous.

I need to do a thread on cryptocurrencies at some point. Doing so with citations and sources would require effort though lol. Cryptocurrency and related topics are actually my professional field of expertise so I have things I could share with this forum about this topic.

I'm sorry for hijacking the direction of this thread I just wanted to point out to folks that stablecoins exist and solve the BTC fluctuation problem quite nicely. Anyways.

Originally posted by trailboss99 View Post
                          I don't leave a cent in BTC I can't afford to lose. Last time it peaked I turned 4 grand into 27 grand so I can't complain that the 6 k I had in BTC two weeks ago is now 3 k. It will come back.
                          Yeah that's definitely a good approach to take. I'm just annoyed because I've had exchange rates screw me multiple times when trying to transfer in money from a bank account to an exchange, and then I have to send in more money, and it's all very annoying and a hassle so I wish more TDs would start accepting DAI.

Anyways in Covid-19 news Governor Cuomo announced via press conference this morning that all "non-essential" NY state businesses need to go 100% work from home or shutter by Sunday. For the last few days Cuomo holds his press conferences immediately before Trump holds the federal conferences and it's been painful going from listening to Cuomo talk, to listening to President, who can't string a coherent sentence together to save his life. Also the Trump administration has been starting to call COVID-19 the "Chinese Virus" which is really great because here in NYC we've had a slew of hate crimes against Asians, for example some Asian woman just yesterday was assaulted in a neighborhood very close to mine by some guy spraying fabreze on her. So I'm sure blaming the Chinese for this virus by calling the virus the "Chinese Virus" will totally help with that whole xenophobia problem. Such fun times we live in. Remember when we were all upset because Obama wore a tan suit and ate dijon mustard instead of yellow mustard? Fun times.
                          Gen: G Shocks GW9400 (Red, Yellow), GW5000 (Black), GW6900 (Black w Combi), DW5600MW-7 (White), GLX5600A-2 (Blue), Seiko Spring Drive MarineMaster SBDB009, Timex IronMan, Daniel Wellington

Rep: Tudor Sub 7928

WTB: YG Gen & Rep Rolex Day-Date with Champagne dial with baton indices, Something skeletonized Rep or Gen, Rep Omega Seamaster Diver 300m, Gen Marathon General Purpose Quartz WW194015BK

Comment

Read news... today we had very strong earthquake in zagreb croatia 5.5 richter and make damage to old churches and hospitals... all women with newborn kids are outside with small newborns and this corona virus makes bigger problem for all this situation,people are scary now about new earthquake if happen,God bless peoples

Comment

Australia just shut all pubs, clubs, bars, cafes, restaurants, nightclubs etc apart from takeaways and off licences/bottle shops. Also all indoor sporting venues, gyms, places of worship, youth groups, pretty much all social gatherings. Shops and other business to stay open as normal at this stage but must use social distancing wherever possible.

************************************************** ********
                              ************************************************** ********

Comment

"corona" Rolex. So i heard that the virus will survive up to 3 days on a stainless steel surface and it would ne best to not wear watches. Anyone who can confirm this or know some facts ?

Comment

Working...
                                X