Sales section change. ** PLease Read **

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales section change. ** PLease Read **

In an attempt to have quicker responding (server) sales area, we are going to retire the old sales forum and begin posting in a new sales area. Everything is basically the same except a less cluttered sales rules area, stickies, etc. In the old sales area, our server had to query 500k posts and tens of thousands of threads every time someone browsed the sales area, posted in it, etc. This caused for a lot of stress on the database (limitations of the database itself, not the servers). Everything will function the same way, just hopefully quicker.

The old sales area will remain open so that previously posted sales can finish up. After a month or so we will close all sales threads and use it as an archive.
    THE FORUM IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!

Guanaco on 4chan... "It's like putting a few puppies and a few butterflies with some rose petals into a blender and pushing the 'puree' button while videotaping it"

Great!
    Can we possibly incorporate a feedback system as well like the original RWI had?

Comment

Originally posted by watchguyusa1 View Post
      Great!
      Can we possibly incorporate a feedback system as well like the original RWI had?
      Eventually yes but first we need to complete an upgrade to the latest version of vB5 and then rewrite all those plugins. Those were all custom pl,.ugins written for us by Dremel and need to be done from scratch to suit vB5 which is entirely different in the way it works to vB4 which the "old RWI" ran on.

People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
      hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
      When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens

Comment

That sounds awesome, some times it took soooo long to reply or open something over there, hopefully its a smooth transition

Comment

Great news! Good to see that RWI is growing better :-)

Comment

Awesome news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by watchguyusa1 View Post
              Great!
              I second that.
              And now unpopular opinion:
              Lets think about the sales section access for new members: Sales posting for subscribers only. All members could access the sales but posting sales limited to supporting members.

Comment

Originally posted by rolexwatchfan View Post

I second that.
                And now unpopular opinion:
                Lets think about the sales section access for new members: Sales posting for subscribers only. All members could access the sales but posting sales limited to supporting members.
                We already have a supporters only section
                BAH !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raddave View Post

We already have a supportrs only section
                  This actually gives me an idea. I'm going to move it into this area but restrict view to only supporters and patrons.

Guanaco on 4chan... "It's like putting a few puppies and a few butterflies with some rose petals into a blender and pushing the 'puree' button while videotaping it"

Comment

Originally posted by daytona4me View Post

This actually gives me an idea. I'm going to move it into this area but restrict view to only supporters and patrons.
                    That was my initial idea but regarding entire sales section. Win-win scenario.

Comment

Some people may only prefer to deal with Patrons and Supporters, so that section is now created.

Comment

You will still notice a bit of lag when displaying the section, it's due to how Vb handle Database query, but posting times and display of topics should be almost instant according to our tests

Comment

Great to read about all the progress. Will the archive still be accessible? (E.g., to link old sales thread)

Comment

Originally posted by lmagg00 View Post
                            Great to read about all the progress. Will the archive still be accessible? (E.g., to link old sales thread)
                            For the time being yes but in a few months, it will be shut down to save load on the system the same way threads used to be removed after three months (which, due to an error in vB isn't currently possible to do in bulk).

************************************************** ********
                            People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
                            ************************************************** *************
                            hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
                            ************************************************** ********
                            When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss99 View Post

For the time being yes but in a few months, it will be shut down to save load on the system the same way threads used to be removed after three months (which, due to an error in vB isn't currently possible to do in bulk).
                              What about when posting links to the previous sale when listing items for sale? I think a lot of us use that feature to see the history of a watch.
                              I have too many not enough watches.

Comment

Working...
                              X