• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Prototypes of dial maker SINGER

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
Fantastic article about Rolex dial prototypes that were never made....unfortunately
https://rolexpassionreport.com/6111/the-story-about-rolex-prototypes-of-dial-maker-singer/

My favorite

RPR_IMG_3879.jpg

kiev4a

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/14
Someone knows how to make a silver dial polished as the Daytona at the first post?
I wish try something similar with my decal print.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Someone knows how to make a silver dial polished as the Daytona at the first post?
I wish try something similar with my decal print.

That one is not polished but sunburst ("soleillé" in French) ... impossible to make one unless you get a $$$$ specific tool ...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks, I’ve found a process video!

Would you share a link to thiat video ?
I've seen some on YouTube but it always helpfull to gather as much information as possible ...

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
I swear, that RPR blog is going to bankrupt me one day. My feeble mind is easily swayed by these prototype-oooh-but-look-closer dials.

ZNNvrL.jpg

My first 2 Daytona builds so the subdial hand alignment has much room for improvement, needs revisiting. And Clark Tropics :D

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
I swear, that RPR blog is going to bankrupt me one day. My feeble mind is easily swayed by these prototype-oooh-but-look-closer dials.

ZNNvrL.jpg

My first 2 Daytona builds so the subdial hand alignment has much room for improvement, needs revisiting. And Clark Tropics :D

Please share some details! I would kill for one those sunburst blueish grey proto dials!

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
Please share some details! I would kill for one those sunburst blueish grey proto dials!

The Yachtmaster build is:
Cartel base watch
Phong dial
Still need Clarks crystal + Alpha subdial hands

The Blue/Purple Prototype Build is:
Cartel base watch
Phong dial
Repainted Alpha subdial hands
Still need Clarks Crystal

Phong has two different "blues" for the prototype dial. One was a tacky matte looking blue which is completely the wrong colour, the other listing has a closer blue to the gen. When I asked Phong for photos of his remaining dial, it looked more purple to me. But that was all he had so I took a gamble with it.

My own photos when the dial arrived, no photo editing, just took photos at different angles:
Ze4zoE.jpg

Ze4jD2.jpg

Ze4DMt.jpg

Zewg1F.jpg

It's definitely not the blue in the gen. However, I noticed that on the RPR article, there are only 2 photos of that watch, both in similar lighting and angle, so we don't know how the gen looks like in other settings. I do like the purple hue on mine, reminds me of those 1680/8 or 16808 Blue dial subs which have turned purple.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
The Yachtmaster build is:
Cartel base watch
Phong dial
Still need Clarks crystal + Alpha subdial hands

The Blue/Purple Prototype Build is:
Cartel base watch
Phong dial
Repainted Alpha subdial hands
Still need Clarks Crystal

Phong has two different "blues" for the prototype dial. One was a tacky matte looking blue which is completely the wrong colour, the other listing has a closer blue to the gen. When I asked Phong for photos of his remaining dial, it looked more purple to me. But that was all he had so I took a gamble with it.

My own photos when the dial arrived, no photo editing, just took photos at different angles:

It's definitely not the blue in the gen. However, I noticed that on the RPR article, there are only 2 photos of that watch, both in similar lighting and angle, so we don't know how the gen looks like in other settings. I do like the purple hue on mine, reminds me of those 1680/8 or 16808 Blue dial subs which have turned purple.

Wow I didn't know phong had those dials now, good to know, thanks for the reply! What movement are you running in those?

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
That purple-dial 6239 prototype is hands-down my favorite Daytona design ever – I'd love to have a nice one built someday. @TheSociety's thread on his rep build was a big reason why I joined RWI (https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...rolex-daytona-6239-night-sky-purple-prototype). Amaiel thanks for sharing this article!

you are welcome, it seems we have the same taste ! BTW i'm thinking to ask for a custom purple dial suitable for a 4130 movement and then to install it on a noob modern daytona . I believe it would be a great watch

Reactions: W124E