• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sanding inserts? No thanks

Diplomatico

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/16
EU
I didn't want to sand down my insert to fit my 1675 bezel so a friend of mine 3D printed a contraption that holds the bezel in the lathe without damaging it. And voila.

No more sanding :)

Video: https://imgur.com/gmJIKHa

ZRhov8.jpg
ZRhIzK.jpg

Last edited:

schtozo

19/12/15
Very nice! Do you recall what was the diameter before machining it? And also whats the end result? Whats the tolerance difference between it and the insert outer diameter?
I have the same issue with the viet bezel, its lip is at 37.52mm~ compared to the 37.75 insert od.
If its not more asking of course, any help is appreciated.
Cheers!

Diplomatico

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/16
EU
Very nice! Do you recall what was the diameter before machining it? And also whats the end result? Whats the tolerance difference between it and the insert outer diameter?
I have the same issue with the viet bezel, its lip is at 37.52mm~ compared to the 37.75 insert od.
If its not more asking of course, any help is appreciated.
Cheers!

The diameter on the recessed part was 37,50mm on mine before machining. I took small increments and tested back and forth until it fit so I don't have the current measurement on the top of my head. I'll take some measurements when I get back home.

Best,

Reactions: deadpan and schtozo

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!
I remember reading it was a +/- 0.02mm tolerance for inserts to fit. Lean more towards -0.02mm for the insert to satisfyingly click into place.