• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has anyone tried a watch from WMT (Watch Experimental Unit?)?

Molokai express

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
14/4/21
https://www.wmtwatches.com

I stumbled onto this company a month or two ago. Those with a serious eye for the genuine article and the great mods will definitely see the flaws in these pieces, but it is a pretty unique offering for those looking to get that vintage vibe without much hassle, although for what you get they feel a little a but overpriced. When I compare them to my Tiger Concepts, they kind of feel like toys, but some of the details they get right are admirable and outside of mods, details I haven't seen in any other homage watches commercially available.

The custom module where you build your own watch lacks pictures and that sucks. The case of the sub style diver is pretty bad, no chamfers on the lugs, rough finishing...seems they use much better cases for the creations they put together. You've been warned. I'd be really curious to see if a competitor can make them up their game a bit.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’ve seen this site before, and subsequently forgot about it. I think someone was selling one of their watches M2M and it got me interested. But that must have been about 2 years ago and I’ve not seen them mentioned since then.

Their prices are high. Do the “details they get right” that you refer to justify the cost? I’d be interested to hear what details you’re referring to. The choice of NH35 movement is a refreshing change from the stock cartel 2813. But, it still doesn’t really justify the prices.

The custom module watch builder works fine for me - click on the required option and the main watch pic updates to show the selected option. I’m playing with it on an iPad, and there’s an impressive amount of variations that can be ordered.

nurpur

I'm Pretty Popular
26/2/16
London
Overall look of the watch is nice and a reasonable degree of options. I have been tempted but I would prefer a sapphire
crystal if I was spending $600-$700 I appreciate it is not "vintage" but they should have offered.

Molokai express

Certified
14/4/21
@ pOpperini: Ultimately, I think their prices are high. Re-the custom module, what I mean is, they don't show example photos of some of the actual features, like case and bracelet, and both are pretty bad for the price, lower quality than the pre-built watches they sell. I'll post pics later.

Re-the details they get right, the domed plexi crystal and bezels (for the sub homages) feel far more period correct than the ones you seen on (for example) Steinhart 39s, as are the painted and aged hour markers. They also can age the pieces for a fee, and its a cool effect. It is hard to say whether or not it is worth the extra cost, it is so subjective. I was pretty disappointed in the bracelet that came with the custom watch, it looks good, but the clasp is really cheap feeling. Getting something like a Baltic or Lorier would put you in a similar price range would get you a higher quality piece, but if you're going for something that is a closer homage to the classics, it could be compelling.

nurpur, I think sapphire would be a cool option too.

Reactions: p0pperini

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I think it mostly depend from which perspective you look at the watches.
From my point of view you can get a branded version of the same watches, aged in a similar fashion, from many of the modders here. That would be a closer representation of a specific watch, a hand refinished replica if you wish.

If you look at the site from the homage enthusiast perspective I guess their watches represent an interesting variation from the Seiko based homages that are flooding (mostly in a good way) the community. Prices are high but not so much higher than any built up Seiko you can get from Namoki or the likes. The fact that they are unbranded might be a plus or at least.let some mental schemes to rest.

Personally when going homage I prefer to keep it on the Seiko based builds, they are fresh, they are colourful, they are cool. I am deeply fascinated by vintage watches, it's just a different story, and when I like one I want it to be as close to the real deal as I can get, that's why I learnt to build my own.

Molokai express

Certified
14/4/21
I think it mostly depend from which perspective you look at the watches.
From my point of view you can get a branded version of the same watches, aged in a similar fashion, from many of the modders here. That would be a closer representation of a specific watch, a hand refinished replica if you wish.

If you look at the site from the homage enthusiast perspective I guess their watches represent an interesting variation from the Seiko based homages that are flooding (mostly in a good way) the community. Prices are high but not so much higher than any built up Seiko you can get from Namoki or the likes. The fact that they are unbranded might be a plus or at least.let some mental schemes to rest.

Personally when going homage I prefer to keep it on the Seiko based builds, they are fresh, they are colourful, they are cool. I am deeply fascinated by vintage watches, it's just a different story, and when I like one I want it to be as close to the real deal as I can get, that's why I learnt to build my own.

This is really good perspective Kilowattore. Prior to knowing that this site, or hand built vintage replicas existed, these watches at WMT represents the closest representations of the vintage watches I love. Unfortunately, when I look at them, I still compare their design choices to the watches they are referencing and the departures bugs me. Same way most homage watches bug me. It's an unfortunate neurosis on my part :) But I could totally see someone without my particular complex just appreciating what they are and the fact that then can just simply be ordered.

My relationship to this community is only weeks old at this point, and I hope to at some point making a good connection to a solid replica builder and finally get my hands on the watch I've been chasing for way too long. Until then, I feel like I'm keeping my eye on the M2M sales, or maybe a MKII Kingston or Key West, the best vintage homages I've run across so far. Good for you for taking matters into your own hands and making your own. My first kid is on the way, so I'm a bit hesitant to go down that path, but I haven't written it off entirely.

Genuine Wrist

9/7/19
Interesting (and slightly off-putting) name....not sure I want a watch that's an experiment!
For the vintage look and seemingly great quality across the range, San Martin appears to be a good bet.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
My interest in something like this would only be as a base for a rep of a Rolex, if these were closer to gen in appearance. Swap in a rep Rolex dial, for example. It's really hard to tell quality from pics and that would make it hard to commit to a purchase when there are already plenty of Cartel reps one can do the same thing with. Or much cheaper homage watches, like Tiger Concepts, which have GMT hands and movements and 24 hour bezels.

http://www.tiger-concept.com/index.html

Reactions: EstebanMcQueen

Mc Queen

Renowned Member
11/10/20
Italy
A couple of months ago I was looking for a vintage style watch for daily use and I chose a wmt big crown. On ebay and Amazon you can find the cheaper version with mineral glass, miyota 8215 and a dial with terrible yellowish indexes.
So with the configurator I realized a custom watch inspired by the 6538, with seiko nh35, plexi, aged dial and hands, riveted bracelet (the last three links have rivet style screws, funny and user-friendly).
Of course the price increase and I paid it like my hulk vsf (with shipping to Italy) .
The quality is very good, I think case and bracelet are better finished than the typical reps, also because of a better quality control.
Sadly I can't compare it to a silix /cartel / hr / tiger concept because I have never handled them, I have always had only modern reps.
If you are looking for a vintage homage it's a really nice watch, but if you are looking for a base for a build I think it isn't a good idea, case, caseback and bracelet seems far away from the gen.

EstebanMcQueen

14/3/22
I just came found this thread thanks to my newly found google site: searches.
I know is an old thread but has anyone of the watchmaker savants in here had the opportunity to pick one of this up?
Because I would love to swap the dial on one of this.

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
I just came found this thread thanks to my newly found google site: searches.
I know is an old thread but has anyone of the watchmaker savants in here had the opportunity to pick one of this up?
Because I would love to swap the dial on one of this.
You would probably need to swap the movement as well since you don't find many rep Rolex dials for the Seiko NH series of movements.

Reactions: EstebanMcQueen

EstebanMcQueen

14/3/22
Thanks for the replies, I guess the best is to just abandon the idea of doing so. As someone stated earlier, probably better just to get a customized franken made by one of the talented watchmakers on this forum.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I follow them in IG and I admire their dedication to recreating classic watches in their own way. The aging they do is tasteful and the gen community seems to have accepted them as a micro brand , despite building reps ...er I mean homages. I cant get past the names and text arrangements on their dials.

I can only assume that they source their parts from some of the same factories that we get our parts from. How many watch parts factories exsist to build reps parts really ?? probably a hand full in China.
These factories sell white label products and retailers (like them, raffles , tc etc) then customize their orders with brands, either rep or their own company like wmt . WMT opps for custom dials, crowns and case backs and clasps.

I can appreciate their efforts and the name they have build for themselves, its not easy. However most of their styles are just homages of exsisting reps that we can all build except for the bubble back. I wish I could find a source for their cases and bracelets. and drop in a gilt California dial
This is the only watch that appeals to me as it is closest to the original ,

They have been on this kick lately and I am not feeling it
the sub milius is it a dive watch or an anti magnetic watch or is it a drawing of a watch that you can wear.
lol pass.

GenuineFool

Supporter
They are based out of Hong Kong, so definitely sourcing parts from China. Nothing wrong with enjoying the watch for what it is, as Kilowattore said.

I agree with 369mafia about that Sub-Milius: not attractive. Bulgari made it work with the limited Octo Finissimo 10th anniversary and Patek with the 5212, but those were more restrained in the hand drawn aspect.

But WMT is a fun homage brand, just not a good starting point to build a rep.

EstebanMcQueen

14/3/22
I follow them in IG and I admire their dedication to recreating classic watches in their own way. The aging they do is tasteful and the gen community seems to have accepted them as a micro brand , despite building reps ...er I mean homages. I cant get past the names and text arrangements on their dials.

I can only assume that they source their parts from some of the same factories that we get our parts from. How many watch parts factories exsist to build reps parts really ?? probably a hand full in China.
These factories sell white label products and retailers (like them, raffles , tc etc) then customize their orders with brands, either rep or their own company like wmt . WMT opps for custom dials, crowns and case backs and clasps.

I can appreciate their efforts and the name they have build for themselves, its not easy. However most of their styles are just homages of exsisting reps that we can all build except for the bubble back. I wish I could find a source for their cases and bracelets. and drop in a gilt California dial
This is the only watch that appeals to me as it is closest to the original ,

They have been on this kick lately and I am not feeling it
the sub milius is it a dive watch or an anti magnetic watch or is it a drawing of a watch that you can wear.
lol pass.

I agree with you in everything you wrote. There is a lot of good, but also a lot that it’s just isnt for me.

Reactions: 369mafia

EstebanMcQueen

14/3/22
I agree with you in everything you wrote. There is a lot of good, but also a lot that it’s just isnt for me.
clint eastwood kids GIF

EstebanMcQueen

14/3/22
They are based out of Hong Kong, so definitely sourcing parts from China. Nothing wrong with enjoying the watch for what it is, as Kilowattore said.

I agree with 369mafia about that Sub-Milius: not attractive. Bulgari made it work with the limited Octo Finissimo 10th anniversary and Patek with the 5212, but those were more restrained in the hand drawn aspect.

But WMT is a fun homage brand, just not a good starting point to build a rep.
I completely respect what they are doing. Wish them nothing but the best. Just some of it seems just silly at a premium.

I’ve been also following this guy called katabami_watch_japan. A lot of cool stuff but he never replied to my dms. 😅

Reactions: GenuineFool