• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My 18238 Day-Date Franken build

RavenT

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/5/20
Hey every one,

I would like to Show you my 18238 Day-Date Franken build.

It's based on a Raffles case which got some reshape work done on it. The heart is a Swiss Eta 2836-2 modified to carry the Gen day and date wheels as overlays (open 6&9 champagne date wheel and German champagne day wheel). On top is the Gen tapestry gold dial and some refilled raffles hands (no lume just paint to get the tritium look). A Gen gold crown is also installed with a Gen Spec tube such as a gen crystal and Gen gold flutet bezel. The bracelet is also from Raffles. Case and bracelet got gold plated afterwards.

The case work did a friend of mine. The movement work, assembly and gold plating was done by a good watchmaker who does a lot of good work on several of my watches. I just sourced the parts and looked for options to get this whole project to work.

Feel free to tell your thoughts even if they are negative as long they are constructive :)

And now let the pictures talk:
ZN6o4F.jpg

ZN6y0n.jpg
ZN6YPE.jpg
ZN6Oo2.jpg

ZN64K8.jpg

ZN6qgt.jpg

ZN6kNR.jpg
ZN6P0S.jpg

ZN6nts.jpg
ZN66NY.jpg
ZN6rKD.jpg
ZN6t1k.jpg
ZN6BMo.jpg
ZN6poP.jpg
ZN6CTW.jpg
ZN6X5Q.jpg
ZN6dBL.jpg
ZN6M9K.jpg
ZN6sMv.jpg

Last edited:

RavenT

17/5/20
Thank you. The work which was done here is amazing. I am so happy with that result. Words can't describe how I feel about this project :p

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!
Wow! This is insane, great work! Btw, was the day-date case a recent order from rafflesdials? The current ones on the site don't have the extra metal between the lugs to fit the vintage president bracelet endlinks.

Reactions: 369mafia

RavenT

17/5/20
Wow! This is insane, great work! Btw, was the day-date case a recent order from rafflesdials? The current ones on the site don't have the extra metal between the lugs to fit the vintage president bracelet endlinks.

You can still find and order it on the website. Look for vintage day date case and look at description for "will fit old style president bracelet with flat end pieces"

But the case shape is horrible. You need to do a lot of reshape work to let it look accurate.

Here you go

http://rafflesdials.com/rolex-signed...n-28-5-29-0mm/

Last edited:
Reactions: WildString46

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
You really are a fan of those tapestry dials (well, who isn’t?!)
Beautifully made.
Wear it in good health.
Should this ever go… you know where to find me ;)

Reactions: RavenT

RavenT

17/5/20
Yes I really love the tapestry dials. And of course the vintage models. Especially with the open 6&9 DWs.
I am sure there will follow some more builds in future.

I will remember you if there will ever come a point where I will think about selling. But I'm not sure if it ever will happen :D

Reactions: KJ2020

FyiDev

Known Member
20/2/21
UK
WOW!! That is a stunning watch bro, what's it like after these months of wear? Looking to get one of these myself!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Extraordinary, congrats!

I had this in gen many years ago and regrettably sold it for house funds. C'est la vie. I got a mere ~$8K for it and have seen them listed over $20K.

Yours is as special to you I'm sure because you built it. What a beautiful piece, enjoy.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
You can still find and order it on the website. Look for vintage day date case and look at description for "will fit old style president bracelet with flat end pieces"

But the case shape is horrible. You need to do a lot of reshape work to let it look accurate.

Here you go

http://rafflesdials.com/rolex-signed...n-28-5-29-0mm/

Thanks a lot for that link ... I have some parts waiting for a two-tone DD project and I like modding watch cases ... so that one will be good enough for me as a start

and CONGRATS ... your build is really great ...

Reactions: Nur-Uhr and KJ2020

Shakennotstirred

Horology Curious
26/8/21
Looks great! How did you get the day wheel to lay over the date wheel without them hitting each other? I’ve been struggling with this

992TurboS

Supporter
Certified
27/8/21
EU
Awesome work. Only thing i have to point out is that you should shorten the lugs a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAmazingMrZ

TheAmazingMrZ

10/3/21
North Carolina
Awesome work. Only thing i have to point out is that you should shorten the lugs a bit. Here is two of my 18238s. The left one is unpolished
Meanwhile the right one is polished for reference.
Do you have any tips or know of any tutorials on modding the lugs? I’ve been looking for assistance on another thread:

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
fantastic work , you have friends in all the right places to pull of a project like this. well done! looks great!!