• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vietnam and cartel lume color

maikols

5/10/18
Hi all ,
i finally finished my 5513 from cartel case and with dial,insert and crown from vietnam parts.

The surprice was when i see that the stock hands from cartel 5513 are the same color of the vietnam dial index !!!

What king of pigment is used or what color?It seems that it is a so used color!

I buyed the https://www.watchlume.com/ vintage kit but i had problem to archive a good color with or without luminescense.

If i mix the luminous pigment , the color become green and not the nice yellow/brown we see in vietnam dial.

Another problem is to use only the color for make hands .If i don't use luminous pigment after lumed hands most of the lume go away in the air!

How to create a good vintage color ?
What kit do you use ?

How to make vintage color that not light (without luminous pigment )?

codice gif

Share your experience please!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
NEW LUME :

I use extra fine "glow in the dark" powder.
During the day the lume color is off-white and in the dark the glow is green (a little too bright).

To lower the glow (if needed) I add some extra fine baby powder ... the more I add the lower the glow ... and the baby powder color when mixed with the medium I use is off-white too.

To get the color I want I add watercolor pigments ... high-quality Winsor & Newton so that it doesn't faint.

MODIFY LUME ALREADY DONE :
I use watercolor pigments to modify the colour ... plus baby powder to lower the lime if needed.

I'm building a 9401 Tudor with Cartel base, VN dial and H handset and I have modded the lume using the same method.
I'll post some pics next week.

Reactions: sukwonee

maikols

5/10/18
NEW LUME :

I use extra fine "glow in the dark" powder.
During the day the lume color is off-white and in the dark the glow is green (a little too bright).

To lower the glow (if needed) I add some extra fine baby powder ... the more I add the lower the glow ... and the baby powder color when mixed with the medium I use is off-white too.

To get the color I want I add watercolor pigments ... high-quality Winsor & Newton so that it doesn't faint.

MODIFY LUME ALREADY DONE :
I use watercolor pigments to modify the colour ... plus baby powder to lower the lime if needed.

I'm building a 9401 Tudor with Cartel base, VN dial and H handset and I have modded the lume using the same method.
I'll post some pics next week.

Yes when glow the color is green of course but if i had the powder the final color is not the yellow/brown color but samethink more green that yellow.

My problem with a 1675 is to make a non glow lume of vintage color .

https://www.watchlume.com/RELUME-KITS/BASIC-KIT-VINTAGE PATINA

this is the kit i used .
with only the matte binder and tint the lume go away when dry!

I don't know how to get this color:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Don't use that lume, it's complete crap.

Use a good quality brand, not something off eBay.

Reactions: Swiss_goupil

maikols

5/10/18
You are right tripdog It's crap!

What's a good kit to buy for achieve a good relume color?

I will try woman make up pigment. Right now it is the only pigment I can buy!

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
I bought it, used it once and ended up in the bin....

Since I use tritec. You can email them directly (contact details on their website)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maikols

5/10/18
I bought it, used it once and ended up in the bin....

Since I use tritec. You can email them directly (contact details on their website)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What's tritec mate?

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

maikols

5/10/18
I contacted rctritec so i have to wait their anser .

I tried to use baby powder with nice result .Now i'm trying to get a good color .For now it was one time too dark and one time too white lol

maikols

5/10/18
This is the answer from Noctilumina

Hi Michele,

Three options
  1. With glow, mix TG45F with a small amount of OG19F. Add a little G15F if a lighter color is desired. This may take some experimentation.
  1. Without only a very slight blue glow that quickly goes away, mix OB82F with AN105F 1:1. This will be very close to what I see in your photo.
  1. With absolutely no glow at all, we can create a new pigment for you, but it will cost an additional $35 setup fee.
Hope this helps. I would recommend option 2.

Scott Anderson
NoctiLumina[SUP]®[/SUP] LLC

I will ask to my vietnam vendor if he can provide a kit for vintage relume .The same color they use for the dial.

maikols

5/10/18
Still trying and trying but i can't find a good kit for relume .

The archived result do not make me satisfied!

I asked to my vietnam vendor for a relume kit . i hope he will help me!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
You should buy your own pigments and experiment, theres plenty on Ebay.

Reactions: deadpan

maikols

5/10/18
You should buy your own pigments and experiment, theres plenty on Ebay.

You are right and i can undestand persons have secrets but a forum sametimes is used for share experience.

So my exepriment is with the white matte binder from watchlume , baby powder or flour used as pigment, and yellow acrylic color.
This combination did not worked for me .I think the binder in the watchlumekit make all more dark when dried.

Next i will try the same pigments with the trasparent bindes from an old "Ancor's kit" .

Hope to share a good resuld as soon as possible.

Any advice are really appreciated

​​​​​​​
ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
You are right and i can undestand persons have secrets but a forum sametimes is used for share experience.

So my exepriment is with the white matte binder from watchlume , baby powder or flour used as pigment, and yellow acrylic color.
This combination did not worked for me .I think the binder in the watchlumekit make all more dark when dried.

Next i will try the same pigments with the trasparent bindes from an old "Ancor's kit" .

Hope to share a good resuld as soon as possible.

Any advice are really appreciated

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Buddy ... sharing experience is one thing but giving all secrets is another ...
And as kilowattore wrote the best is you try your own experience as what works for somebody doesn't work for everybody ...

Nevertheless ... I already told you everything (almost) about the products I use ... no "lume kit" :
- glow powder ... off-white during the day and green glow in the dark ... mine is from artnglow as it's 15-35um so really fine and mix well with baby powder
- baby powder ... just to low the glow or to make a "no glow" lume ... easy to use and smells good :p
- micro flat from microscale ... or any matte waterbased or acrylic medium is really hard when dried
- winsor & newton watercolours ... high quality pigments and the best way to get exactly the color you want
- hours and hours of experience

maikols

5/10/18
Buddy ... sharing experience is one thing but giving all secrets is another ...
And as kilowattore wrote the best is you try your own experience as what works for somebody doesn't work for everybody ...

Nevertheless ... I already told you everything (almost) about the products I use ... no "lume kit" :
- glow powder ... off-white during the day and green glow in the dark ... mine is from artnglow as it's 15-35um so really fine and mix well with baby powder
- baby powder ... just to low the glow or to make a "no glow" lume ... easy to use and smells good :p
- micro flat from microscale ... or any matte waterbased or acrylic medium is really hard when dried
- winsor & newton watercolours ... high quality pigments and the best way to get exactly the color you want
- hours and hours of experience

Thank mate so:

baby powder : i use it and seems to be good
winsor & newton watercolours : perfect
hours and hours of experience : OFC

micro flat from microscale <- Is this for remove the old lume?

... or any matte waterbased or acrylic medium is really hard when dried <- you talk me about binder?

Thank youuuu

maikols

5/10/18
manodeoro thank you for your advice .

I tried a lot of relume right now but i not archieved a good result.

I'm usying a good matte varnish as binder ,hight end water color and baby powder for make all more consistence.

Now i need an help becouse i don't understand why the color become trasparent or like green!

How do you use the solid watercolor in your mixture ?

Do you think that making the solid water color like powder and mixing when dry to get the wanted color is a good modus operandi ?

I don't undestand if i have to make a mixture of binder and baby powder and then add color with watercolor (i scrape from the solid color and then i add it to mixture) .

Can you help me making a good mixture?

Thank you

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thank mate so:

baby powder : i use it and seems to be good
winsor & newton watercolours : perfect
hours and hours of experience : OFC

micro flat from microscale <- Is this for remove the old lume?

... or any matte waterbased or acrylic medium is really hard when dried <- you talk me about binder?

Thank youuuu

micro flat is the medium (binder) I use with both lume powder and baby powder

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
manodeoro thank you for your advice .

I tried a lot of relume right now but i not archieved a good result.

I'm usying a good matte varnish as binder ,hight end water color and baby powder for make all more consistence.

Now i need an help becouse i don't understand why the color become trasparent or like green!

How do you use the solid watercolor in your mixture ?

Do you think that making the solid water color like powder and mixing when dry to get the wanted color is a good modus operandi ?

I don't undestand if i have to make a mixture of binder and baby powder and then add color with watercolor (i scrape from the solid color and then i add it to mixture) .

Can you help me making a good mixture?

Thank you

I use watercolor as they're supposed to be used ... with a little pinch of water (as little as I can)
The process I use is really simple ...
1 - prepare the lume paste "a little too thick"
2 - mix water colors until you get the colour I want ... just make it "darker" than the final result
3 - mix some of the the colored water with my lume paste until I get the exact color and thickness I want
4 - lume

maikols

5/10/18
I use watercolor as they're supposed to be used ... with a little pinch of water (as little as I can)
The process I use is really simple ...
1 - prepare the lume paste "a little too thick"
2 - mix water colors until you get the colour I want ... just make it "darker" than the final result
3 - mix some of the the colored water with my lume paste until I get the exact color and thickness I want
4 - lume

Yes the difference is that i want to relume with no glow .

When i use the lume pigment i have a good color but as i saw i want no glow.

on my next try i will use only baby powder for make the thicknes (i will try to add more or i 'll search for other base pigment) , the color is white of course, then i'll add the scraped color .

Tonight i will try this :

Add the color with a little touch of water as you suggest .

Then i mix the binder and the baby powder then i add the color .

relume and cross finger !

I hope to get a good result .