• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Ideas On How To Achieve This Dial Effect?

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18

This might be a stretch but I was wondering how it'd be possible to replicate this dial look. I figured if anyone would know it'd be the masterminds of vintage-izing here in the Vintage Watches section. I imagine it'd only work on glossy dials and probably involves water but past that I am completely clueless, but I love how this dial looks and would love to recreate it. Thanks in advance.

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Some varnishes/lacquers may give that effect if sprayed with water immediately after coating.

I’ve not tried it on watch dials, but I had something similar happen when I was varnishing warhammer models and it rained on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
Some varnishes/lacquers may give that effect if sprayed with water immediately after coating.

I’ve not tried it on watch dials, but I had something similar happen when I was varnishing warhammer models and it rained on them.

Thanks for the tip. Would you happen to remember what kind of varnish/lacquer/clearcoat you used? As in oil based, polyurethane, etc?

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Wasn't there a sales thread just the other day where a modder did this?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Thanks for the tip. Would you happen to remember what kind of varnish/lacquer/clearcoat you used? As in oil based, polyurethane, etc?

Not a clue unfortunately! I used Games Workshop Matt varnish, they’ve changed their paint suppliers since then; this would have been at least 10 years ago.

I’d just try experimenting with a few bits of black plastic. You could try praying with stuff other than water. Another solvent may work

I’ve recently been experimenting with putting finely ground salt on dials after lacquering and then washing it off. I’m trying to get a pitted radium dial effect. I’ve had mixed success so far.

Reactions: bigtiddygothgf

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
Speaking for all tapatalk users, I have no idea
9854425fedec9bc6131021cb1443ddb4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk