• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken 16220 162xx Build - Some questions

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
Hey there,

I am planning to build a 16220 Franken with a Raffles 2836 case.
Some questions regarding this builds and parts that I am looking for:

Are there any Rep engine turned bezels out there? If not how much do Gen bezels usually go for, I have seen engine turned from 100-200 USD.
Furthermore, I have a gen dial, need to clip the feet, will everything else from the 2836 fit including the hands without any modifications?

In the future I might want to put in a VR3135 movement, how hard is it to modify the raffles 2836 case.

Would love to hear some input from you guys :)
Seen quite a lot of these frankens lately, so i got hyped building one myself.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
To each their own, so I don't mean to sound critical. But it makes no sense to plan for a 2836 build, ruin a gen dial by snipping feet to fit, then reversing direction later and using a VR3135. Just use a 2824 or gen spec case and start with the VR3135. The 2836 case has the wrong shape and thickness so is kind of a waste for gen parts no matter what you do with it.

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
To each their own, so I don't mean to sound critical. But it makes no sense to plan for a 2836 build, ruin a gen dial by snipping feet to fit, then reversing direction later and using a VR3135. Just use a 2824 or gen spec case and start with the VR3135. The 2836 case has the wrong shape and thickness so is kind of a waste for gen parts no matter what you do with it.

Thank you for your input and advice.

So if I get a raffles 2824 case, I can fit the gen dial without any issues or still need to clip the feet?
Or did you mean using a 2824 case and putting in a 3135 to not ruin the dial, which probably need modification on the case?

Right now I have put the build together with a raffles 2836 case and all parts from raffles as well as a seagull movement, so have not ruined any gen parts yet.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Thank you for your input and advice.

So if I get a raffles 2824 case, I can fit the gen dial without any issues or still need to clip the feet?
Or did you mean using a 2824 case and putting in a 3135 to not ruin the dial, which probably need modification on the case?

Right now I have put the build together with a raffles 2836 case and all parts from raffles as well as a seagull movement, so have not ruined any gen parts yet.

I believe the above means,

Buy a gen spec case ( a case that accepts gen parts) gen dial, bezel, movement, crown, etc.

Gen dial feet will not insert into 2824/2836 movement = will need to cut feet (big no no)

Use vr3135 movement and gen dial feet will fit. (Yes big winning)

Cheers. LL

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
I believe the above means,

Buy a gen spec case ( a case that accepts gen parts) gen dial, bezel, movement, crown, etc.

Gen dial feet will not insert into 2824/2836 movement = will need to cut feet (big no no)

Use vr3135 movement and gen dial feet will fit. (Yes big winning)

Cheers. LL

Alright thanks! I was not sure, but that makes sense.

So does a 2824 Raffles case need any modification to fit a 3135?
Alternatively where can I get a gen spec case, which is correct for a 162xx build and put in the 3135 without modification?

I have some experience with building together watches, but not modifying cases or using a dremel on cases.
So thats why I wanted to keep the build as simple as possible.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I don't think the raffle case will fit the VR movement without mods done.

You may want to keep an eye out at m2m parts sales and see if you come across one because gen ones are very pricey

Reactions: iamxd

iamxd

9/8/17
Europe
I don't think the raffle case will fit the VR movement without mods done.

You may want to keep an eye out at m2m parts sales and see if you come across one because gen ones are very pricey

Yes that was my concern and what I also heard from others.
I wont buy a gen case (very expensive), so probably need to wait till something pops up on m2m, since I dont have the skill for modifying cases yet.

Maybe I will just finish this build only with the raffles parts for now.

Here some pictures:
ZXNO4D.md.png

ZXNYck.png

Reactions: ArchbishopRLX

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
Alright thanks! I was not sure, but that makes sense.

So does a 2824 Raffles case need any modification to fit a 3135?
Alternatively where can I get a gen spec case, which is correct for a 162xx build and put in the 3135 without modification?

I have some experience with building together watches, but not modifying cases or using a dremel on cases.
So thats why I wanted to keep the build as simple as possible.

Here's the easiest and cheapest solution that involves no modifications: get a 2824 case, which will (at least as far as my experience, and that of others I have read here) fit a 3135 case with no modifications to the case. All you need is a movement holder ring, since the 2824 is larger than the 3135. I believe Yuki sells one. So this way you're buying one case (a 2824 spec), one movement (VR3135), one movement holding ring, and doing no mods to any of the parts. It's all plug and play. Just also make sure the hands you get are 3135 hands.

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!
Here's the easiest and cheapest solution that involves no modifications: get a 2824 case, which will (at least as far as my experience, and that of others I have read here) fit a 3135 case with no modifications to the case. All you need is a movement holder ring, since the 2824 is larger than the 3135. I believe Yuki sells one. So this way you're buying one case (a 2824 spec), one movement (VR3135), one movement holding ring, and doing no mods to any of the parts. It's all plug and play. Just also make sure the hands you get are 3135 hands.

I don't believe this is correct. The 2824 itself is smaller than a 3135, therefore you must use a movement holder if you use a 2824 with a gen dial with clipped feet.

OP, to use a 3135 in a 2824 case (such as from Rafflesdials or an already made rep), it may work OOTB, but there are several things to note:
  1. Does the dial fit in the dial seat of the case?
  2. Does the stem line up with the case tube?
  3. Does the rotor hit the caseback?
  4. Are you able to secure the movement in the case using screws? You may need a custom (thin) movement holder to prevent shifting in the case.
There a few threads here that have documented experiences with modding Raffles 2824 to 3135.

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
I don't believe this is correct. The 2824 itself is smaller than a 3135, therefore you must use a movement holder if you use a 2824 with a gen dial with clipped feet.

OP, to use a 3135 in a 2824 case (such as from Rafflesdials or an already made rep), it may work OOTB, but there are several things to note:
  1. Does the dial fit in the dial seat of the case?
  2. Does the stem line up with the case tube?
  3. Does the rotor hit the caseback?
  4. Are you able to secure the movement in the case using screws? You may need a custom (thin) movement holder to prevent shifting in the case.
There a few threads here that have documented experiences with modding Raffles 2824 to 3135.

Shoot you're right--I had this backwards, but I think 2824 is still the way to go (just maybe not Raffles). I was confusing the fact that a lot (all that I have handled) of 2824 cases actually have the inner dimensinos for a 3135 movement, but come with a movement ring to house the 2824. So in many cases, like a TC case, the 3135 is plug and play.