• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5500 "Singer" Explorer dial ?

stinasandler

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/7/20
Hi guys, I recently bought locally from a guy a franken 5500 explorer I watch and was told it had a "Singer" dial.

I can´t find much about it but does anyone here know anything about "singer" dials ?
I am just wondering if it was a factory that made them, some modder or something like that.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hi guys, I recently bought locally from a guy a franken 5500 explorer I watch and was told it had a "Singer" dial.

I can´t find much about it but does anyone here know anything about "singer" dials ?
I am just wondering if it was a factory that made them, some modder or something like that.

"Singer" was one of the companies that used to make dials for Rolex (Singer, Beyeler, Stern, Lemrich, etc ...)
But there are many Viet dials with SINGER engraved on the backside ... so a SINGER dial can be both Rep or Gen ...
Maybe you could post a pic of yours ...

Reactions: Toofsy

stinasandler

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/7/20
"Singer" was one of the companies that used to make dials for Rolex (Singer, Beyeler, Stern, Lemrich, etc ...)
But there are many Viet dials with SINGER engraved on the backside ... so a SINGER dial can be both Rep or Gen ...

I am guessing it´s a rep one but I will take a picture and post it of the watch - not good enough to break it down and post a picture of the backside of the dial :)

stinasandler

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/7/20

Sorry for the late upload but I had some problems figuring out the uploading form.

But this was sold to me as a franken 5500. I got it confirmed from a watchsmith before buying it had a genuine swiss ETA (no idea what kind), but after some google it might be a 5500 or maybe 1016. It is 34mm. It also comes on a 19mm rivet bracelet.

Can anyone here put some input about it and maybe what it is worth ?
It was sold to me that it had some "rare", "singer" dial and the case, glass, crown were genuine Rolex.

ALSO - before you all say I take bad pictures, please don´t, I hear it from my every single, good damn, f#%&ing time we go out and she want me to take her pictures! :)

Reactions: 369mafia

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Sorry for the late upload but I had some problems figuring out the uploading form.

But this was sold to me as a franken 5500. I got it confirmed from a watchsmith before buying it had a genuine swiss ETA (no idea what kind), but after some google it might be a 5500 or maybe 1016. It is 34mm. It also comes on a 19mm rivet bracelet.

It was sold to me that it had some "rare", "singer" dial and the case, glass, crown were genuine Rolex.

About the model :
Definitely a 5500 Explorer ...
From late 1950is to early 70ies Rolex made a version of the5500 Air-King with an Explorer dial.
The 5500 Explorer is 34mm in size so smaller than the traditional 36mm size of the 6610 Explorer 6610 and the 1016 Explorer ...

About being a Franken :
May I say that everything's looking a little to clean for a watch which should be 50 to 60 years old ?..
You could check the reference number between the lugs (easy as you wear it on a leather strap) ... what does it say ?.. 5500 ?.. 15000 ?.. engraved or laser etched ?..
And I wouldn't vouch the crown is genuine (sits too flat on the case IMHO) ...
About the dial I didn't check but I think Yuki used to make those ...

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
About the model :
Definitely a 5500 Explorer ...
From late 1950is to early 70ies Rolex made a version of the5500 Air-King with an Explorer dial.
The 5500 Explorer is 34mm in size so smaller than the traditional 36mm size of the 6610 Explorer 6610 and the 1016 Explorer ...

About being a Franken :
May I say that everything's looking a little to clean for a watch which should be 50 to 60 years old ?..
You could check the reference number between the lugs (easy as you wear it on a leather strap) ... what does it say ?.. 5500 ?.. 15000 ?.. engraved or laser etched ?..
And I wouldn't vouch the crown is genuine (sits too flat on the case IMHO) ...
About the dial I didn't check but I think Yuki used to make those ...

Not only can you tell it's an Explorer from the size but from the dial too. It only says "PRECISION" since it used the non-COSC 1520 movement. The 1016 was COSC, or SCOC and used a 1570.

Looking at the dial, I am unfamiliar with this as a gen variation. That's not to say it isn't BUT I haven't been able to search my way into one. I have, however found a comparable dial from 2016 on RWG: https://rwg.cc/topic/185371-5500-explorer-dial/
Not much info on the watch but claimed to be similar to the OP's Yuki dial build.
This is to say I'm skeptical the dial print is genuine. Is it a gen Singer plate or VN Singer plate - I couldn't say.

I totally agree about the crown. Looks totally off for a 24-530. Should chamfer back away from the case.

Really hard to say about the case without studying the markings between the lugs (both sides). If you were able to remove the case back, an interior case back shot would be great too.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
hanski thanks for that link ...

I've had a look at the pics there and it seems to confirm what I suggested ... the PO's 5500 case looks really new ... too new IMHO ...
Not even the slightest mark on the lugs and it all seems to be unbuffed ...
U tried not to be rude of anything with the OP but I fear we could discover something like 15000 engraced between the lugs ...

About the crown ...
That's what I would have made if I had built that watch keeping the rep crown ... chamferring it to help it look better
I did that for my last early 14000 and on a 9401 I have on the bench and it definitely help a lot ...

Reactions: stinasandler

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

ALSO - before you all say I take bad pictures, please don´t, I hear it from my every single, good damn, f#%&ing time we go out and she want me to take her pictures! :)

All aftermarket, no genuine parts.

Reactions: stinasandler

stinasandler

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
7/7/20
Thanks guys I really appreciated great input here, just glad I did not pay to much for it but still looks nice, in my opinion :D

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
All aftermarket, no genuine parts.

tripdog ... thanks for coming in ...
I first thought about chiming your but things were so obvious about that watch that I've decided to take the risk of giving my own opinion
I just stayed prudent with my conclusions as I don't have your expertise