• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Case for NON-budget 16800 3035 movement builds

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Hi all,
I am posting these photos so that others building a high-end 16800 with 3035 movement can see photos of one option for the midcase, and decide accordingly. Some well-known builders and modders like this source, some don't. With the photos I have posted, I figured you can decide for yourself.

I'm in the process of upgrading my beautiful 16800 matte dial build (courtesy of the master, tripdog ) to one with a 3035 movement. Unfortunately, I found the already-serviced movement just after his build. The gen 16800 matte dials are practically unobtainable today, as are 3035 movements, and I was fortunate enough to source both at a good price. While part of me hates tearing apart Trip's work, I feel that due to the investment in the gen parts, a re-build is worth it - but that requires a 3035 case, and there are precious few options available. There is one option well known to us all, but it is expensive, and is the one shown here. I don't want to mention names and I have purposely photoshopped out the engravings. The case is shown below, and is gen-spec. The cost was reduced since I only needed the case and no crystal or bezel assembly, but was still pricey, and the cost is orders of magnitude above other options. This will be OK with some of you, and not with others, and that's OK. Everyone has to make up their own mind on this.

Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with budget builds - that is the beauty of this forum! It eclipses those who wish to have a rep watch at ALL levels of budget. I just happened to have sourced enough gen parts over the past two years to go for a non-budget, high-end build. Is it crazy? Yeah, probably - but a gen version would cost me 2x the cost, and I have had waaaaay more fun sourcing the individual parts, learning about the components of the early 16800 builds, etc. It was WAY more enjoyable than wiring money to a vintage dealer, even if it's still a frankenwatch and not a real Rolex. It's only for me, and as far as I am concerned, when I look at the dial and the components, it IS a Rolex.

This build, once the case is vintagized by Jonj480 and built by misiekped, will be a c. 1982 build that is ALL gen (down to the click springs) - except for the case.
I set the bezel assembly on the case and put on a gen 703 crown in some of the photos. The gen bezel assembly was found on eBay at a cheap price, and it is admittedly worn and beat. I really got it for the bezel ring, since the insert is trashed. Maybe I can salvage the cracked pearl, maybe not. I'm certain JonJ can clean up the roughness on the bezel ring a bit. It's for a "40 year old watch", so it's OK with me if it's worn. I have a gen Tritium flat 4 insert I can use, and while it's not mint, it's not as beat as this one.

If any newbies want more information about the case, please PM me. There are tips re: ordering that I have learned, which can help ensure that you get what you want.
Zrfb0Y.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
Zrf0Ps.jpg
ZrfJ5D.jpg
ZrfSo3.jpg
ZrfVtk.jpg
ZrFDHJ.jpg
ZrFZ1P.jpg
ZrfcNo.jpg
ZrFjMW.jpg
ZrFzgS.jpg

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Comparison of CGs:

Gen 1983 16800 (shown on Tropical Watch website) on the left, vs. option above:
ZrFqTX.jpg

ZrFnKF.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tione12

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
OP will laugh at this lol.

Amazing build! Your collection is getting better and better through the years sfgerl

You are so right!! LOL!

Let's not forget - it all started with you and your awesome builds !!! :_o_: :applause:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
My non budget 16800 days hello...
Granted I think it's a bit cheaper than yours as mine has a startime 3035 midcase and a more modern applied indices dial.

IMG_20200219_05572473a426c909b7d626.jpg

Reactions: sfgerl

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Very nice!! Lucky you, those ST 3035 cases are hard to come by! I just love the open 6/9 datewheel... it's a small thing, yet makes such a nice impression - an artistic touch!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Very nice!! Lucky you, those ST 3035 cases are hard to come by! I just love the open 6/9 datewheel... it's a small thing, yet makes such a nice impression - an artistic touch!

Agreed. I love wearing it on days the open 6 and 9 show. To me it makes it special. So elegant and unique.