• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GEN OR REP need help

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Dear Gentlemen and Rolex experts,

I have been offered this case back as genuine for my 5512 restoration, unfortunately a search through here or google didn't help me identifying if it was gen or a good rep :-(

If you could help with your expertise, I would appreciate.

Thank you for your help ;-)

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I’m not an expert but many years ago, I read somewhere that the 3 horizontal legs on the engraved letter “E” should NOT be the same length.

Apparently the middle leg should be shorter.

But I don’t know if this is true for all Rollies, all years and all variations.

As a side, I Don’t see the benefit of adding a gen caseback on a rep watch. Especially if it’s a suspect gen and costs a fair bit.

It won’t add any appreciable aesthetic benefit to the watch when wearing it or even in the hands (since the bracelet obstructs clear view of the caseback).

Sorry for not being more helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
As mech500 says - there's no conceivable merit to using a gen caseback on a rep. And even less reason to, when the person considering doing so can't tell a gen one from a rep!

But still, the thread isn't a waste of time as it's another opportunity to see the great knowledge and observational skills of experienced members. It's always an education.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
tripdog thank you very much for your expertise.

@mech500 somehow you're right, but like I wrote in the initial post, it is for a restoration of a 5512 which is original and I am trying to source all genuine parts period correct. For the Caseback I didn't manage to find anything at decent price and this was offered as a 70ies gen part. At the moment the watch is leaving with a rep Viet Caseback and it doesn't really bother me. but if once I need to service the watch, I don't feel comfortable bringing it to a watchmaker with a rep Caseback :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: mech500

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
As mech500 says - there's no conceivable merit to using a gen caseback on a rep. And even less reason to, when the person considering doing so can't tell a gen one from a rep!

But still, the thread isn't a waste of time as it's another opportunity to see the great knowledge and observational skills of experienced members. It's always an education.

You're absolutely right. But like I wrote before it is to restore a genuine watch. I asked here because my doubt was high, but as this part was offered by a professional dealer I doubted even more about my expertise ....

Last edited:
Reactions: mech500

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
tripdog take you very much for your expertise.

@mech500 somehow you're right, but like I wrote in the initial post, it is for a restoration of a 5512 which is original and I am trying to source all genuine parts period correct. For the Caseback I didn't manage to find anything at decent price and this was offered as a 70ies gen part. At the moment the watch is leaving with a rep Viet Caseback and it doesn't really bother me. but if once I need to service the watch, I don't feel comfortable bringing it to a watchmaker with a rep Caseback :-(

I reckon a rep caseback isn't the end of the world for a watchmaker. Quite a few watches on the market have replacement / rep parts and I reckon it should be quite common for a watchmaker to find a aftermarket component on a watch. Just my two cents but could be wrong. Congrats on the 5512 though, do post some pics if possible :).