• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Recreation] Any vintage Rolex ad enthusiast ?

JohnBranon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/21
Hi,

I am a fan of Rolex/Tudor brands but not only for their watches. I won't make a class history, but Rolex was a pioneer in advertising in the luxury market, very early. You all must surely know their famous ads, black background and the product highlighted in a small corner only. They made a big impression and are still used as examples today. I've looking for them in old magazines but they are rare. Some of them have even made a business : adpatina.com

I didn't stop there. I reconstructed an Rolex 1016 ad with high-resolution photos. The paragraphs also respect the layout, like the fonts or the official text. With the PDF below, you can make a nice wall decoration above your watch tray ! The black background is complicated to reproduce at home, at worst it will cost you 10/15 usd at a local printer for a nice print. If you like it, I can take the time to make more, for other models (6538 of course).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2m1huilr8y...%20Ad.pdf?dl=0
300 dpi PDF, A2 size, high-resolution photos in creative commons and vectoriel logo.

Small preview :

20210112-172734-a0c68bf8-90b9-4ff8-bad4-b52e03948e3e.26.res.jpg

Sorry if I'm in the wrong sub forum, tell me.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwacc and C Master

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice project.

So is this a 100% reproduction of an original Rolex ad? I've not seen this one before. The lack of capitalisation on "Matterhorn" makes me twitch a bit. :)

I expect C Master would appreciate this. And he could show you a few more examples from his pretty impressive collection...

Reactions: C Master

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I like the ones for women mainly. There is so much going on in those ads. A real testament to the times they were created in.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
What is the hatred that has split the world asunder? What are they referring to? War? What year was this?

I’d assume war, world war 2 id imagine. those references are 1930s-40s watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnBranon

5/1/21
Nice project.
So is this a 100% reproduction of an original Rolex ad? I've not seen this one before. The lack of capitalisation on "Matterhorn" makes me twitch a bit. :)

Thanks all for the feedback.

This is not an original Rolex ad : legit texts and logo but the Matterhorn idea and composition is mine. I can't use original images, since there is no high-res scan.

I love vintage advertising. Keep it coming!

Any preferences ? Watch or maybe a theme (climbing, snorkeling, bicycle etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Z6vtMY.png

This one has always stuck with me. Gonna be framed in my new place

Love the egg timer reference and look at that price, if only we could go back in time... :(

Last edited:

JohnBranon

5/1/21
Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
Hi,

I am a fan of Rolex/Tudor brands but not only for their watches. I won't make a class history, but Rolex was a pioneer in advertising in the luxury market, very early. You all must surely know their famous ads, black background and the product highlighted in a small corner only. They made a big impression and are still used as examples today. I've looking for them in old magazines but they are rare. Some of them have even made a business : adpatina.com

I didn't stop there. I reconstructed an Rolex 1016 ad with high-resolution photos. The paragraphs also respect the layout, like the fonts or the official text. With the PDF below, you can make a nice wall decoration above your watch tray ! The black background is complicated to reproduce at home, at worst it will cost you 10/15 usd at a local printer for a nice print. If you like it, I can take the time to make more, for other models (6538 of course).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2m1huilr8y...%20Ad.pdf?dl=0
300 dpi PDF, A2 size, high-resolution photos in creative commons and vectoriel logo.

Small preview :

20210112-172734-a0c68bf8-90b9-4ff8-bad4-b52e03948e3e.26.res.jpg

Sorry if I'm in the wrong sub forum, tell me.

Love this one, although there is a typo on second line of the second para. "We carve *its* case out of a block *of* Swedish steel"

gindiesel

12/10/20
Canada
Needs a vintage Cobra instead of this one with oversized wheels and modern sponsors (eg: Toyo Tires).

img4.jpg