• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster 300 Project

Rich883

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
22/8/18
Great project! i will follow the thread :)

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
it's 2D file I asked to a local engraver to enrave and cut it in a 3 mm plexi sheet. After that I paint and lume it , after that I sending down the height according to the bezel. You can add a shape on the top and repolish it
I tried this proces after ask the cost to steph dxtr. I made my own seiko plexi insert for about 30€

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
For the 3d rendering program on mac I used Fusion 360 from autodesk, free licence for personal use. I was never used this kind of software before (I just used Illustrator and photoshop). In one week of learning I succeed to design this :

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Toofsy good job but I think you are somewhere in between "D" and "E".
Take this if that helps;)
ZBARJ3.jpg

Reactions: Toofsy

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
almost done,
let me know if you see something wrong

ZB2Ttk.png

I forgot to quote your post but my last post was referring to this^^^

Also, as you have started your own insert - would it be an idea to make it "A" or "B" layout? A/B are very rare and afaik nor repped nor available as aftermarket.

Btw, what was a fee quote from steph?

Last edited:

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
I forgot to quote your post but my last post was referring to this^^^

Also, as you have started your own insert - would it be an idea to make it "A" or "B" layout? A/B are very rare and afaik nor repped nor available as aftermarket.

Btw, what was a fee quote from steph?

Hi thanks for the feedback and the source.
I worked directly on the insert picture from the same source, but the one you post will really help.

I think the insert at left I sued should be done with D font

I done that for the community first, I will not use soon but maybe one time.

I will try to do the files with A and B too, new confinement is coming here in France...I should have more free time

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
I’m struggling to find any cheap 565 flat dials. I’ve put a wtb post here and on watchUseek and not got anything. I’ve spent £60 on EBay on a dial that I was told was flat, but ended up having curved edges.

Does anyone know another good place to find a dial?

Alternatively does anyone know if the other calibre dials have the date window in the same location as the 5xx series. The 10xx dials look pretty close, but I don’t really want to spend more money on something that isn’t going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
I’m struggling to find any cheap 565 flat dials. I’ve put a wtb post here and on watchUseek and not got anything. I’ve spent £60 on EBay on a dial that I was told was flat, but ended up having curved edges.

Alternatively does anyone know if the other calibre dials have the date window in the same location as the 5xx series. The 10xx dials look pretty close, but I don’t really want to spend more money on something that isn’t going to work.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15

Speak to dotheanh on ebay, here are some of his fantasy dials but with extra fee he can customise it.

ZQM2Aj.jpg

ZQMA64.jpg

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Yes, this is fantasy - full serifs from service dial applied on a vintage dial.

Reactions: d4v3

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
[mention]k4jun [/mention] thanks for showing these, I was really looking for blank 565 dial as I want to try doing a gilt decal dial.

I’ve managed to find a knackered dynamic dial with a hole in it on eBay - hopefully some solder and gold plate will give me a decent base.

Is this case and dial setup supposed to have a dial spacer? I’ve got about a 1mm gap and the whole thing is rattling about even with the movement tabs in.

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
I got a 1000 series dial in the post today.

I’ve stuck it on a cocktail stick with the curved 565 dial. As you can see the date window lines up perfectly.
0155b174d9bba144f32cf1d88dd0ef68.jpg

Just need to get some solder in the holes and put some new dial fee on. Then I’ll try gold plating it.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I got a 1000 series dial in the post today.

I’ve stuck it on a cocktail stick with the curved 565 dial. As you can see the date window lines up perfectly.
0155b174d9bba144f32cf1d88dd0ef68.jpg

Just need to get some solder in the holes and put some new dial fee on. Then I’ll try gold plating it.

Nice dial plate sir ...
it seems it has slightly curved edges ... hast it ?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
I’ve had a bit of a hiatus on this project as I am in the middle of moving house. However I’ve seen this come up in a local auction and wondered what people’s thoughts were.
6e11f0fdc2c6c85d663e34b7c535e4f8.jpg

f454accd3305105b5b0700f0ec0540e4.jpg

390c949bb56d845817b30821391560ff.jpg

It’s apparently from a local watchmakers estate, the auction is in a town with a big naval base.

I’m sure the dial is genuine omega, but wonder if it’s had the circle T added.

There are two omega lots like this and a 6538 burford dial.

I was thinking of bidding for the one above and then splashing out a bit more for a watchco Seamaster and swapping the dial if I won. However I’d rather not if it’s not gen NOS.

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Well I bid on this but it went for £4000, much more than I was prepared to pay. The burford dial only went for £2k though.

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Well I bid on this but it went for £4000, much more than I was prepared to pay. The burford dial only went for £2k though.

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
Its a gen dial but not a gen t dial, the t is too fine,

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Soooo - I found a good deal and persuaded my wife to agreed to buy this for my 40th birthday.

I’m pretty sure with a bit of cleaning and research I can increase the value to double what I paid (not that I’m going to sell).

I’d also acquired a dial and movement for a date SM300 for a reasonable price - I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that I might be able to get a new case from my omega watch service guy. I’ve heard some rumours that you have to give the old case back to omega, but I’m hoping this is not the case.

Reactions: Stuessi