• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster 300 Project

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Since the new SM300 watches have been available I’d been thinking about getting one, but had been put off by the inaccuracies of the case. I’d contemplated getting a VN case, but price had stopped me.

Last week I saw this kit pop up on eBay; it was less than the VN case and much more accurate than the cartel watches.

ef4d111bf058dcccecfdb5f3ddd143eb.jpg

361a8d5df211464e78f687bb85d56e0a.jpg

4aaee190eb8a3b9dbcfb838ddd542003.jpg

7e5c100cfdd78c48df02e373f97e3a46.jpg

My gen Speedmaster as a reference.

Case shape is not too bad, the main problem being the lugs, which should be relatively easy to reshape.

I’ve got a bid on a 565 movement - hopefully won’t come in too expensive, though I’ve been told they can be expensive to maintain.

I have an eta 2472 and was fiddling with it in the case, if the 565 ends up being too much I may try and get this to fit with a movement ring.

I’ll age the case and dial a bit and Lume the hands to match - they also came in the kit.

In the future I may try and make a gilt dial - definitely will if I have to use an eta movement as I’ll go non date.

My biggest issue is that the spring bar holes are in the wrong place - they don’t line up with either the forstner or uncle seiko end links.

What’s the best way to re drill the holes?

Thanks for looking.

Muggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
Nice really and interesting. I got the cartel one and don't able to thrill for it.
I'm going to check your solution for the mouvement and the bracelet.
Not easy to redrill the case.

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
Do you think we can use a cheap movement for this case ? In waiting to have better one?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
[mention]Toofsy [/mention] - send the guy a message on eBay. I saw the listing and contacted him after it had gone. I think he just puts them up for a few hours and then pulls them. His prices are a bit steep, but he’s open to negotiating.

I think the eta may fit without much work, everything seemed to line up, but that was without a dial properly mounted.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
If you want to drill just the inner side of the lug, i'd go manually manodeoro made a wonderful tutorial with a manual drill (personally i prefer the dremel qith CNC drill bit at medium speed, there is a super vid tutorial of how to drill lugs for seikos at youtube).

I have a 300 genuine case, let me know if you want me to measure anything for you.

Reactions: stufuse

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
[mention]J!m1 [/mention] I think it is the same case.

[mention]d4v3 [/mention] - I’ll have to check out that tut. You’re not interested in selling your gen case are you? ????

Toofsy

Known Member
3/4/12
[mention]Toofsy [/mention] - send the guy a message on eBay. I saw the listing and contacted him after it had gone. I think he just puts them up for a few hours and then pulls them. His prices are a bit steep, but he’s open to negotiating.

I think the eta may fit without much work, everything seemed to line up, but that was without a dial properly mounted.

Thanks for the infos.

I should pull the trigger...
Morover manodeoro is a good friend and neighbor...after he will have done my 6538 dial I will negotiate for the holes case :)

The ebay saler hold one for me until tomorrow...

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
I’ve got a bid on a 565 movement - hopefully won’t come in too expensive, though I’ve been told they can be expensive to maintain.

Probably only if you are going to replace the worn parts with gen bnib parts, 565 family was very popular in past and ebay should let you find not so expensive used parts.

I don't know eta 2472 which you've mentioned, but 565 has a quite unique old-school date change mechanism - 'pump the crown', 565 may be the better option if you care to build the SM300 according to the gen spec.

GL in your project!

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
I was going to ask the same thing. The gen bezel assembly does not fit these cases.

everything else I have is gen for mine. I’m not wasting the crystal I have as the rep one is okay once glued in place. Also only the manual wind (non- screw down) crown fits this tube. I wasn’t inclined to Maxine the case for the correct tube.

565 movement fits perfectly.

gen case back fits fine as well. Crystal needs a claw tool to install, but it should fit with that. (A press only will probably break it)

Last edited:

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Can I ask where on eBay the case was from.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
I was going to ask the same thing. The gen bezel assembly does not fit these cases.

Its bezel assembly isn't like gen (bi-directional bezel on spring loaded capsules) ?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
Its bezel assembly isn't like gen (bi-directional bezel on spring loaded capsules) ?

It’s the same type of assembly, but just not in the same way. I think it only has 2 springs instead of 3.

I had a look at the lug hole drilling tuts, both manodeoro ‘s one and the seiko one. It looks like freehanding with the dremel is the standard approach.

There are the blueprints for the gen case on the website below, so that and my Speedmaster should give me a good guide.

https://www.omegaseamaster300.com - I’m sure everyone has seen this. Very useful for anyone wanting to make a rep.

The other thing I’d like to change would be the bezel insert - you can’t tell that well in the pictures, but it’s not filled with Lume, just painted on the back of the Perspex. I’d expect that this would need to be done in some sort of CAD/3D printing though.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
[mention]J!m1 [/mention] I think it is the same case.

[mention]d4v3 [/mention] - I’ll have to check out that tut. You’re not interested in selling your gen case are you? ????

Not for sale my friend took me ages to find it, but a seller from Australia at ebay, sells gen cases for very decent prices from time to time, just an eye on them.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
If you want to drill just the inner side of the lug, i'd go manually manodeoro made a wonderful tutorial with a manual drill (personally i prefer the dremel qith CNC drill bit at medium speed, there is a super vid tutorial of how to drill lugs for seikos at youtube).

I have a 300 genuine case, let me know if you want me to measure anything for you.

If I may ... the tutorial I posted months (years ?) ago is for a drillthrough process :)
I never find a way to properly drill inner side of the lugs only ... too bad

Reactions: d4v3