• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Whilst it's obviously good news that we finally got a gen' spec' 5 digit GMT case, there are still a couple of niggles worth pointing out.

It looks like someone wasn't paying attention when they were planning this case. In the range of Rolex 5 digit GMTs there's one model that stands out from the others in terms of CG shape and case height - the 16760. It's taller than the 16700/16710 and has different shaped CG's.
These cases have the correct height for the 16700/16710, but they've got the CG's from the 16760, AKA Fat Lady. Not really an insurmountable problem as they're larger than the 16710 CGs, so it's easy enough to reshape them.
These 2 particular cases were ordered by yodog from his supplier and are engraved 16760 between lugs and stamped on the case back (no I didn't do the stamping/engraving, don't PM me).

In order to be a true 16760 case would need to be about 0.3mm taller as the top of the crown should be level with the top of the case, but nevertheless they still look pretty convincing as a 16760 Fat Lady GMT - the high arch to the lugs, once lightly reshaped helps give the impression of a plumper case, and the CGs are pretty much spot on for a 16760.

As always with cases from Vietnam, there's work to be done to get things looking right.
The lugs are too wide, with too high a curve on the top, the chamfers are too wide.
On the bezel ring, the outer edge is polished when it should be brushed, the teeth already have a soft finish to them so no need to polish again.

Retaining ring is too tall, meaning there's a gap between the case and the underside of the bezel. The click spring is mono directional, it should be bi-directional, it's also made of low grade steel, so it may not last very long.

The tension ring is also low grade steel and will rust unless treated (one of them was already covered in rust on one watch).
Stock crown is crap - the tube unscrewed with the crown so it's not even torqued/sealed in place.

Polishing, brushing and general finish needs some attention. There are sharp edges/corners, which is typical of cases from Vietnam (with the possible exception of Phong and MQ).

Below is a before and after comparison, after is on the right/the bottom.

I'm looking forward to seeing yodog finish these 2 watches - with a gen dial, gen insert and crystal these are going to be great looking 16760 frankens.

IMG-5377.jpg

IMG-5382.jpg

IMG-5386.jpg

IMG-5387.jpg

IMG-5389.jpg

IMG-5390.jpg

IMG-5391.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Whilst it's obviously good news that we finally got a gen' spec' 5 digit GMT case, there are still a couple of niggles worth pointing out.

IMG-5387.jpg

Awesome work as always trip. Did you add material to the case you re-worked? The CGs look thicker on the bottom case.

Also the caseback looks kinda thick. I wonder if it would take a slim caseback with a rep 3185/6 installed.

My gen 16710 for reference, shown next to BP case with stock thick caseback

Gen-BP-11-Medium.jpg

Micha Nbg

Renowned Member
Patron
30/12/14

It looks like someone wasn't paying attention when they were planning this case. In the range of Rolex 5 digit GMTs there's one model that stands out from the others in terms of CG shape and case height - the 16760. It's taller than the 16700/16710 and has different shaped CG's.
These cases have the correct height for the 16700/16710, but they've got the CG's from the 16760, AKA Fat Lady. Not really an insurmountable problem as they're larger than the 16710 CGs, so it's easy enough to reshape them.
These 2 particular cases were ordered by yodog from his supplier and are engraved 16760 between lugs and stamped on the case back (no I didn't do the stamping/engraving, don't PM me).

In order to be a true 16760 case would need to be about 0.3mm taller as the top of the crown should be level with the top of the case, but nevertheless they still look pretty convincing as a 16760 Fat Lady GMT - the high arch to the lugs, once lightly reshaped helps give the impression of a plumper case, and the CGs are pretty much spot on for a 16760.

As always with cases from Vietnam, there's work to be done to get things looking right.
The lugs are too wide, with too high a curve on the top, the chamfers are too wide.
On the bezel ring, the outer edge is polished when it should be brushed, the teeth already have a soft finish to them so no need to polish again.

Retaining ring is too tall, meaning there's a gap between the case and the underside of the bezel. The click spring is mono directional, it should be bi-directional, it's also made of low grade steel, so it may not last very long.

The tension ring is also low grade steel and will rust unless treated (one of them was already covered in rust on one watch).
Stock crown is crap - the tube unscrewed with the crown so it's not even torqued/sealed in place.

Polishing, brushing and general finish needs some attention. There are sharp edges/corners, which is typical of cases from Vietnam (with the possible exception of Phong and MQ).

Below is a before and after comparison, after is on the right/the bottom.

I'm looking forward to seeing yodog finish these 2 watches - with a gen dial, gen insert and crystal these are going to be great looking 16760 frankens.

IMG-5377.jpg

IMG-5382.jpg

IMG-5386.jpg

IMG-5387.jpg

IMG-5389.jpg

IMG-5390.jpg

IMG-5391.jpg
Great review Trip!!!

My cases will coming in the next days as I pm'ed you! ;-)))

Gesendet von meinem SM-G986B mit Tapatalk

rosnik

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/07
Me too????

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Another one of these cases - some light reshaping work and a refinish for a 16700 project. The crown height for a 16700/16710 is a fraction off, so this case was slimmed by 0.2mm, lug profile reshaped & slimmed, CG's reshaped, chamfers recut - pics below are with a gen 6mm crown as the Viet' crown is really terrible.

IMG-5498.jpg

IMG-5499.jpg

IMG-5500.jpg

IMG-5502.jpg

IMG-5504.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Another one of these cases - some light reshaping work and a refinish for a 16700 project. The crown height for a 16700/16710 is a fraction off, so this case was slimmed by 0.2mm, lug profile reshaped & slimmed, CG's reshaped, chamfers recut - pics below are with a gen 6mm crown as the Viet' crown is really terrible.

IMG-5502.jpg

Best rep 16710 case I've ever seen bro. Masterpiece, bravo!

Reactions: tripdog

NicDeMa7

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Hi everyone, I wanted to update you on the case for 16710 sold by MQ - MinhQuy

I bought it last month, this is the case:
http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/...emart&Itemid=1

For those who do not want to read the whole description I already warn you: DO NOT BUY IT!

These in order of importance, from the slightest to the worst, these defects:
- Very big Caseback, not slim like the gen
- The bezel is very ugly, much higher than the gen or any JF / ARF bezel for 16610
- More serious, the hole in the case for the tube is not suitable for crown and tube for Gmt16710 (2.5mm tube) but it is fine for 7030 tubes of 704 crowns !!!

With the photo for crown from GMT / SUB 6 digits clearly the case is unusable, it is not possible to mount the tube and the crown for Gmt 16710

Who used this case, what tube / crown did they use?

I reported everything to MinhQuy today by email, I'm waiting to know how he intends to solve this problem!

To date, I've thrown about $ 1250 down the toilet

PS: to complete, the ring had a mono-directional spring and not a bi-directional one as it would be on the gmt

I am attaching some photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

diametro-tubo.jpg

tubo-7030.jpg

tubo-704.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Depp

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
^^ It's the same case as is being sold by others on eBay etc.

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
For those who do not want to read the whole description I already warn you: DO NOT BUY IT!

- The bezel is very ugly, much higher than the gen or any JF / ARF bezel for 16610
- More serious, the hole in the case for the tube is not suitable for crown and tube for Gmt16710 (2.5mm tube) but it is fine for 7030 tubes of 704 crowns !!!

PS: to complete, the ring had a mono-directional spring and not a bi-directional one as it would be on the gmt

These have all been addressed in this thread if you look back...

Caseback: appears to be a 16610 sub caseback. I already sent my case to get reworked, but my ST 16610 sub has a gen 16710 caseback to slim it down (personal taste). If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I will confirm that it’s interchangeable and won’t interfere with the rotor. Swappable.

Bezel: tripdog addressed this. The retaining ring is too tall and the finish on the ring is all wrong. Still snaps a gen insert. Click spring is replaceable to make the bezel ring bi-directional (easy fix). Swappable.

Crown/Tube: Gen spec says 5330 and a 603 crown (6 mm). This case is using an older style tube 6000 / 6020 and 600 crown (6mm). The older style tube has the same thread pitch as the 7030 and screws right it. I have confirmed this and yodog already mentioned this.

I bought this case for the MIDCASE... The crown/tube is a spec issue but literally NO ONE will be calling that out unless you need to get it fixed.

Last edited:

NicDeMa7

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
These have all been addressed in this thread if you look back...

Caseback: appears to be a 16610 sub caseback. I already sent my case to get reworked, but my ST 16610 sub has a gen 16710 caseback to slim it down (personal taste). If someone doesn’t beat me to it, I will confirm that it’s interchangeable and won’t interfere with the rotor. Swappable.

Bezel: tripdog addressed this. The retaining ring is too tall and the finish on the ring is all wrong. Still snaps a gen insert. Click spring is replaceable to make the bezel ring bi-directional (easy fix). Swappable.

Crown/Tube: Gen spec says 5330 and a 603 crown (6 mm). This case is using an older style tube 6000 / 6020 and 600 crown (6mm). The older style tube has the same thread pitch as the 7030 and screws right it. I have confirmed this and yodog already mentioned this.

I bought this case for the MIDCASE... The crown/tube is a spec issue but literally NO ONE will be calling that out unless you need to get it fixed.

So should I look for a 6000/6020 and 600 crown (6mm) tube? I invested a lot of money for this built, all gen, even the bezel, and now I'm only stopped for the tube issue :(

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
So should I look for a 6000/6020 and 600 crown (6mm) tube? I invested a lot of money for this built, all gen, even the bezel, and now I'm only stopped for the tube issue :(

Seems like a no-brainer... I’d go for the 6020 tube (has the splines to screw it in vs the 6000 tube which needs to be broached)... Found one gen for $50 USD blistered. Could probably get a superior swiss aftermarket for cheaper... I’m still looking for a 600 crown worthy of my build, but pre-owned used ones to blistered $100-300.

NicDeMa7

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Seems like a no-brainer... I’d go for the 6020 tube (has the splines to screw it in vs the 6000 tube which needs to be broached)... Found one gen for $50 USD blistered. Could probably get a superior swiss aftermarket for cheaper... I’m still looking for a 600 crown worthy of my build, but pre-owned used ones to blistered $100-300.

OK perfect. but then I also have to watch the 600 crown right? the 603 of the gmt does not mount on the 6020 tube?

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
OK perfect. but then I also have to watch the 600 crown right? the 603 of the gmt does not mount on the 6020 tube?

I’m not an expert, but I’m going off of the knowledge provided on these forums and others... This RWI post is amazing:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/319855-do-you-know-your-6mm-rolex-crowns

this guy dropped some serious knowledge too... Not sure if I’m allowed to link it, but here it is for now:
https://rwg.cc/topic/137889-crown-info/

I would say you need a 24-600-0 crown for that tube... The VN crown screwed into my swiss 6020 tube without issue, but I won’t be using that crown.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Hi everyone, I wanted to update you on the case for 16710 sold by MQ - MinhQuy

I bought it last month, this is the case:
http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/...emart&Itemid=1

With the photo for crown from GMT / SUB 6 digits clearly the case is unusable, it is not possible to mount the tube and the crown for Gmt 16710

Who used this case, what tube / crown did they use?

I reported everything to MinhQuy today by email, I'm waiting to know how he intends to solve this problem!

To date, I've thrown about $ 1250 down the toilet

I am attaching some photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

diametro-tubo.jpg

tubo-7030.jpg

tubo-704.jpg

That sucks... Same one can be had for 750 if you dig around. 1250$ is just insane.